Need Help Can'T Get Any Bit Torrent Applications To Work

livinthailandos

I know there are lots of forums for linux, but after searching through forums on solutions I've tried dont' work. I've using ubuntu 10.10 on 2 computers and

1. where I managed and configured the firewall

2. the other computer where I never even configured the firewall

I've opened ports that have been recommended, for inbound and outbound connections by the application, but following applications will not work for me it seems no matter what I try

Vuze

Ktorrent

Transmission

Qt torrent

I'm not sure if this issue is firewall settings or I'm just having bad luck. I'm just lucky that I still have a windows computer around and that at least Utorrent works perfect for getting my bittorrents. I'm not praising windows on this but after hours and days of running through forums I"m tired and lost on this issue with linux and how I can't get any bittorrents to work. on my ubuntu computer everything else works fine, I can browse the web, read my emails through thunderbird, view photos, etc.

anyone have any advice or solutions that I should try

If you don't have a firewall installed than you should not have to fiddle with a firewall in a basic Linux setup.

I have no idea about torrents but in order to reach the application you would have to forward the port to your box.

Let's say your IP is 192.168.1.5 than your router should forward the application port (lets say 57757) to your internal IP (192.168.1.5).

That is it. Have a look at your NAT settings on the router.

Even without port forwarding the torrent should work to some extent.

I have used Qbittorrent and Transmission on Ubuntu with no issues.

As per the Ubuntu default I do not have any firewall set up.

Are you using a private tracker (such as thebox) which you may need to log on to first? Look for error messages regarding the connection to your tracker

Connection refused is usually an indication of a logon issue. Note thebox is fussy about which torrent clients it accepts connections from. Check the list of approved clients if your torrents are coming from there.

For example,

Thebox does not accept connection from Qbittorrent

Edited by thaimite

• 3 weeks later...

Vuze works great, but with Vuze you have to configure your firewall manually because it is not pre-set like the others depending on which distro you are using.