Buying A Car In Chiang Mai

I'm planning to move from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, and I want to have a car there. So, I plan to visit CM for a few days and rent a place to live, and also buy a car and park it at my new residence, while I return to Bangkok temporarily to pack up and ship my stuff to the new residence in CM. I have an existing Certificate of Residency for my Bangkok residence, issued by Thai Immigration in BKK. So, when it comes to buying the car, I know from reading other posts that I will need proof of residence in order for the Dept. of Land Transport to register me as the new owner, but I'm wondering if it would be best to use my existing BKK Certificate of Residency for that purpose, or if I should try to get a new one in Chiang Mai based on my new CM residence address after I've established the lease agreement for my new rental there.

I'm not sure if it's necessary (or important) to have the registered owner of the car have a legal residence in the same province that the car is registered in - and if it is required, is it a problem to change my legal residence afterward?

Also, if I do have to establish proof of residency in Chiang Mai for this purpose, will a newly-signed apartment lease agreement be sufficient, or will I need to provide other documents like utility bills, which establish residence over a period of time?

Many thanks to any advice, suggestions, solace... :D

If you want CM plates I would use CM certificate of residence.

You can buy in CM and dealer register in BKK, but then you will have BKK plates.

A lease should be sufficient at local immigration to get CM certificate, copy of Tabien Baan and copy ID card signed by lessor should be attached to lease

You can by the car straight away with BBK certificate, and tell dealer you will provide CM certificate in a week or two

Buying the car is not the problem, If your paying in full. Just when you place it into your name. If your getting a new car, This takes months, I got my car in December and it was May before I got my plates, So I wouldn't worry about it so much, Just do it when you move up

Buying the car is not the problem, If your paying in full. Just when you place it into your name. If your getting a new car, This takes months, I got my car in December and it was May before I got my plates, So I wouldn't worry about it so much, Just do it when you move up

Thai law states vehicle must be registered within 30 days/3.000km after delivery/1st day of Insurance

You can buy in CM and dealer register in BKK, but then you will have BKK plates.

A lease should be sufficient at local immigration to get CM certificate, copy of Tabien Baan and copy ID card signed by lessor should be attached to lease

You can by the car straight away with BBK certificate, and tell dealer you will provide CM certificate in a week or two

Sorry for my confusion, but I should ask the landlord for a signed copy of his/her ID card? And also, I'm assuming that the name on the Tabien Baan and the landlord ID card must be the same? Just hoping to understand the details in order to avoid complications here. Thanks a lot for the info.

Sorry for my confusion, but I should ask the landlord for a signed copy of his/her ID card? And also, I'm assuming that the name on the Tabien Baan and the landlord ID card must be the same? Just hoping to understand the details in order to avoid complications here. Thanks a lot for the info.

yepp, a lease agreement for apartment/house/property should definately consist of agreement itself , Tabien Baan and ID. Most rental properties do not have any named resident in Tabien Baan, (kinda hard for owner to live there if you rent it) but if it does property shoud be rented from Master of House, IOW first registered resident in Tabien Baan and ID number match ID card

yepp, a lease agreement for apartment/house/property should definately consist of agreement itself , Tabien Baan and ID. Most rental properties do not have any named resident in Tabien Baan, (kinda hard for owner to live there if you rent it) but if it does property shoud be rented from Master of House, IOW first registered resident in Tabien Baan and ID number match ID card

Many thanks!