Progress In The Gulf

Old Croc

One day women will drive, Saudi king says

Saudi King Abdullah believes firmly in women's rights, but says they will not be allowed to drive a car any time soon, according to extracts of a television interview.

In an exclusive interview with American Broadcasting Corporation News, the 82-year-old King told veteran reporter Barbara Walters that the issue in the conservative Muslim country requires "patience".

"I believe strongly in the rights of women, my mother is a woman, my sister is a woman, my daughter is a woman, my wife is a woman," he said. :o

"I believe the day will come when women drive."

It is the King's first television interview since acceding to the Saudi throne after the death of his half-brother, king Fahd, on August 1.

As crown prince he had effectively ruled the oil-rich Muslim kingdom since king Fahd suffered a debilitating stroke in 1995.

King Abdullah notes that women drive in Saudi Arabia's deserts and in rural areas.

"The issue will require patience," he said. "In time, I believe it will be possible. And I believe patience is a virtue."

Walters, known for her celebrity interviews, asked bluntly: "You cannot just make a decree that women drive? You're the king."

The king replied: "I value and take care of my people as I would my eyes."

"Is that an answer?" Ms Walters demanded.

"Yes, I respect my people and I value their well-being. It is impossible that I would do anything that is not acceptable to my people," the king said.

ABC News said the new king "appears determined to present American viewers with a new vision of Saudi Arabia, starting with the fact that in a country notorious for discrimination against women, he has chosen to do his first-ever television interview with a woman."

- AFP

Stop press! What will be next, women able to walk the dog? Good ole muslims and their oppression of women. Here love, wear this full length blanket so my mate can't see how pretty you are! The Saudi's are obviously trying but when will they wake up?

Edited by jackr