Shipping My Stuff To Bkk

ra1n85

I'll be studying for my CCIE (IT industry certification) in the next few months. I need to ship about $10,000 worth of telecom equipment (160lbs of routers, switches, cabling) to myself in BKK for studying purposes. Does anyone have any experience with this/suggestions? I would like to avoid being taxed at 27% of 10,000 for some gear I'm only going to ship back to the states in 6 months.

Oh, boy, why are red lightning flashes going off in my mind, just thinking of the gleam in Thai Custom's eyes.

I would have thought that CISCO Thailand, or whomever is offering the training, would have had a solution for the hardware side of the program, either by providing it themselves, or having a greased skid for duty free import & export. No?

Mac

Oh, boy, why are red lightning flashes going off in my mind, just thinking of the gleam in Thai Custom's eyes.

I would have thought that CISCO Thailand, or whomever is offering the training, would have had a solution for the hardware side of the program, either by providing it themselves, or having a greased skid for duty free import & export. No?

Mac

Negative - this is self-study.

I was afraid of the Thai customs deal. The hardware sells for over $100,000 brand new, but I'll be purchasing it used. Receipts should be available.

I plan on taking 6 months off for the purposes of studying, and Thailand seemed like a good idea.

The crux of it though is customs. If I'm going to be shafted, I'll keep my money in the states.

I guess it depend on the company. I know that ABS relocations made sure we only had to pay some Tea money. So again I guess there is a way to not pay custom duties. We was moving a 20” ft container. I was happy about the service.

I guess it depend on the company. I know that ABS relocations made sure we only had to pay some Tea money. So again I guess there is a way to not pay custom duties. We was moving a 20" ft container. I was happy about the service.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I assume you had some stuff in the container, right?

Did you have to declare a value for customs?

Yes we had our household goods in the container and yes ABS relocations did declare the value on the packinglist they made when they packed our household. They made the price very low.:whistling:

No problem with the custom here.

:whistling:

That's a tough question...and I'm not sure of the answer.

If you were retiring in Thailand and had a non O multi-entry visa there is an exemption for bringing "houshold goods" for personal use into Thailand...but obviously you're not retiring in Thailand and what you are bringing in is not "household goods".

Do you have a course booked here in Thailand? I mean, do you have a course with some kind of educational institution here? If so you may POSSIBLY be able to get a Ed visa based on that course...and therefore your equipment could be brought in tax free or have a reduced tarrif as being required study matierial for your course. But even that is not a certainty...and it would probably need a letter from whatever instituion you attended.

Your best bet at trying to get an answer wpuld probably be to contact a Thai consulate near you. Check on whether you can get an Ed visa as a student attending a course here in Thailand. Specifically ask them about importing such equipment as study matierial for your course. Make sure they know you intend to ship it back out after your course is completed, you are not planning to keep it here in Thaiand or sell it here.

Even then, the Thai consulate may not know the answer. They however do have people who deal with the customs regulations on bringing goods into Thailand...so they are the closest people to answer your specific questions.What you are asking sort of falls in between the cracks, so the answer isn't clear.

You might also post here on the Thai visa topic and explain to them what you want to do, what is the best method to bring the stuff to Thailand, and if you can qualify for an Ed (Education) visa to take the course here in Thailand. They probably won't know..they deal more with visas... but they do have some experience with retirees coming to Thailand and the cusoms rules on bringing household goods into Thailand as a retiree here.

Also, keep repeating to any Thai customs or consulate people the part about your bringing personal equipment for use as study matierial which you intend to reship home as sonn as your study is completed. If they believe you that part nay save you money on customs fees.

Be prepared to document what you brought in and be sure that is exactly what you send back out after you finish your study.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Everything possible in this country.

If the new value of this stuff is 100k$, then in the worst case you will be taxed on that.

I'd not take the risk.

That's a tough question...and I'm not sure of the answer.

If you were retiring in Thailand and had a non O multi-entry visa there is an exemption for bringing "houshold goods" for personal use into Thailand...but obviously you're not retiring in Thailand and what you are bringing in is not "household goods".

Do you have a course booked here in Thailand? I mean, do you have a course with some kind of educational institution here? If so you may POSSIBLY be able to get a Ed visa based on that course...and therefore your equipment could be brought in tax free or have a reduced tarrif as being required study matierial for your course. But even that is not a certainty...and it would probably need a letter from whatever instituion you attended.

Your best bet at trying to get an answer wpuld probably be to contact a Thai consulate near you. Check on whether you can get an Ed visa as a student attending a course here in Thailand. Specifically ask them about importing such equipment as study matierial for your course. Make sure they know you intend to ship it back out after your course is completed, you are not planning to keep it here in Thaiand or sell it here.

Even then, the Thai consulate may not know the answer. They however do have people who deal with the customs regulations on bringing goods into Thailand...so they are the closest people to answer your specific questions.What you are asking sort of falls in between the cracks, so the answer isn't clear.

You might also post here on the Thai visa topic and explain to them what you want to do, what is the best method to bring the stuff to Thailand, and if you can qualify for an Ed (Education) visa to take the course here in Thailand. They probably won't know..they deal more with visas... but they do have some experience with retirees coming to Thailand and the cusoms rules on bringing household goods into Thailand as a retiree here.

Also, keep repeating to any Thai customs or consulate people the part about your bringing personal equipment for use as study matierial which you intend to reship home as sonn as your study is completed. If they believe you that part nay save you money on customs fees.

Be prepared to document what you brought in and be sure that is exactly what you send back out after you finish your study.

I'll see if I can get in touch with someone about that and possibly get a letter.

Sourcing the equipment in Thailand would be near impossible.

I can see both sides of the argument - I'm sure there's plenty of reasoning for taxing goods being imported. On the other hand, I'm returning home with everything I'm bringing.

At the end of the day, I'm pretty jaded about the process. If I don't get an easy answer out of customs, than it's simply not worth it.

Most IT kit is 0% customs duty now, but you will need to classify and value each item seperately. In theory, if you genuinely paid 10k then you should only pay 7% VAT on the price, plus freight and insurance. In practice, Customs do try to shake down private importers. Customs are used to people waving invoices and evidence of payment around, and they often suspect that a second invoice for the balance is not being disclosed. Therefore it would help to have additional evidence such as the advert you responded to, or evidence of a general market price for the items.

You will not get it in on your or anyone elses Visa or Work Permit as household items.

The big difference is having a broker in Thailand that can sort things out properly. For one off transactions a lot of big brokers are not really interested, they make money on high volume clients, so it costs more to deal with an individual. The US shipper may have a relationship with a Thai customs agent. If not, I suggest you send a request for quote to a number of companies and specify your understanding that it is duty free and that you do not expect significant costs over and above the 7% VAT. There will always be some

There are a number of possible reliefs that exist for professional equipment, but as it is duty free they are not worthwhile.

OP What you are looking for is an ATA Carnet...

This is designed for temporary imports. The premise is based upon the shipper (in the origin country) guaranteeing the import duty in the case that all items are not exported from the destination country within 1 yr.

You would need to contact a Freight Forwarder at the origin country to arrange.

There are 4 authorized uses for ATA Carnet, but I believe that the one you would be interested in is for "Professional Equipment".

Member Countries

Explanation of ATA Carnet (English)

THE ATA CARNET SYSTEM

A simplified Customs Procedure for Temporary Admission of Goods into a Foreign Country.

WHAT IS AN ATA CARNET?

The ATA carnet is an international customs document that permits duty-free and tax-free temporary import of goods for up to one year. The initials ATA are an acronym of the French and English word Admission Temporaire/Temporary Admission The ATA Carnet operates under the international Customs Conventions administered by the World Customs Organization (WCO).The four main categories of goods traded internationally:

- commercial samples;

- goods for presentation or use at trade , fairs , shows, exhibitions or similar

events;

- professional equipment

- scientific equipment

In view of the numerous advantages the system offers to Thailand.s expanding business communities, Thailand has joined the system with effect from the end of 1994 and The Board of Trade of Thailand has been appointed by Thai Government to issue Carnets under this Carnet Arrangement.

For Thailand, the customs authorities shall accept goods be temporarily imported under the following Conventions:

- ATA Carnet Convention 1961

- Customs Convention on the Temporary Importation of Professional Equipment 1961

- Customs Convention Concerning Facilities for the Importation of goods for display or use at Exhibitions ,Fairs ,Meetings or Similar Events 1961

- International Convention to Facilitates the Importation of Commercial Samples and Advertising Material 1952

- Customs Convention on the Temporary Importation of Scientific Equipment 1968

CARNET BENEFITS

- Simplifies and expedites formalities

- Reduces the clearance time for goods on both importation and re-exportation

- Removes the need to deposit bonds or pay duty on entry and drawback on reexport

- Goods can be temporarily imported into multiple countries under the single

Carnet

- The Carnet has a life of 12 months

HOW AN ATA CARNET WORKS?

The ATA Carnet is a simple international customs document with two sheets for presentation for each foreign country you wish to visit (import-re-exportation), and two sheets for presentation to customs when leaving and returning to Thailand (exportation < re-importation). You give importation sheet to the foreign customs officials when you enter their country and the re-exportation sheet when you leave it.

WHAT ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM THE ATA CARNET?

Items such as paint, cleaning materials, food, oils, leaflets and brochures, which areconsidered as consumable items and intended to be given away, disposed of , or utilizedabroad, are excluded from the systems as they would not ordinarily be re-exported. Also excluded from the A.T.A. Carnet System are the following:

1. Items already sold or offered for sale. Such items are not considered samples.

2. Alcoholic beverages, tobacco and fuels, etc.

3. Goods intended for procession or repair.

4. Postal traffic.

THE VALIDITY PERIOD OF A CARNET COVERING :

1. Commercial Sample 1 year

2. Exhibition goods 1 year

3. Professional equipment 1 year

4. Scientific equipment 1 year

THE ATA CARNET SYSTEM

A simplified Customs Procedure for Temporary Admission of Goods into a Foreign Country.

WHAT IS AN ATA CARNET?

The ATA carnet is an international customs document that permits duty-free and tax-free temporary import of goods for up to one year. The initials ATA are an acronym of the French and English word Admission Temporaire/Temporary Admission The ATA Carnet operates under the international Customs Conventions administered by the World Customs Organization (WCO).The four main categories of goods traded internationally:

- commercial samples;

- goods for presentation or use at trade , fairs , shows, exhibitions or similar

events;

- professional equipment

- scientific equipment

In view of the numerous advantages the system offers to Thailand.s expanding business communities, Thailand has joined the system with effect from the end of 1994 and The Board of Trade of Thailand has been appointed by Thai Government to issue Carnets under this Carnet Arrangement.

For Thailand, the customs authorities shall accept goods be temporarily imported under the following Conventions:

- ATA Carnet Convention 1961

- Customs Convention on the Temporary Importation of Professional Equipment 1961

- Customs Convention Concerning Facilities for the Importation of goods for display or use at Exhibitions ,Fairs ,Meetings or Similar Events 1961

- International Convention to Facilitates the Importation of Commercial Samples and Advertising Material 1952

- Customs Convention on the Temporary Importation of Scientific Equipment 1968

CARNET BENEFITS

- Simplifies and expedites formalities

- Reduces the clearance time for goods on both importation and re-exportation

- Removes the need to deposit bonds or pay duty on entry and drawback on reexport

- Goods can be temporarily imported into multiple countries under the single

Carnet

- The Carnet has a life of 12 months

HOW AN ATA CARNET WORKS?

The ATA Carnet is a simple international customs document with two sheets for presentation for each foreign country you wish to visit (import-re-exportation), and two sheets for presentation to customs when leaving and returning to Thailand (exportation < re-importation). You give importation sheet to the foreign customs officials when you enter their country and the re-exportation sheet when you leave it.

WHAT ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM THE ATA CARNET?

Items such as paint, cleaning materials, food, oils, leaflets and brochures, which areconsidered as consumable items and intended to be given away, disposed of , or utilizedabroad, are excluded from the systems as they would not ordinarily be re-exported. Also excluded from the A.T.A. Carnet System are the following:

1. Items already sold or offered for sale. Such items are not considered samples.

2. Alcoholic beverages, tobacco and fuels, etc.

3. Goods intended for procession or repair.

4. Postal traffic.

THE VALIDITY PERIOD OF A CARNET COVERING :

1. Commercial Sample 1 year

2. Exhibition goods 1 year

3. Professional equipment 1 year

4. Scientific equipment 1 year

Awesome! Much appreciated for the advice - I'll look into this. :jap: :jap: :jap:

-Ra1n

The below organization in the states is responsible for issuing ATA Carnet, but you can also contact your Freight forwarder to help arrange.

USCIB (United States Council for International Business)

ATA Carnet Department 1212 Avenue of the Americas

New York, NY 10036

Telephone: (866) 786-5625 or

(800) 5DUTYFREE (538-8937)

Fax: (212) 944-0012

Email: [email protected]

USCIB Website