What Western Food Do You Wish Your Thai Partner Could Cook?

Not that I'm deliberately priming my students for being expat girlfriends, but what dish would impress you if a Thai said they could cook well?

I'm going to do some simple things like brownies/rocky road, but ideas welcome. Fish and chips? Pies? Spag Bol?

We have ovens and hobs available and would be aiming to feed 20 students for about 2000 baht of ingredients (I've got olive oil, everything else is coming from Big C or Tops in Khon Kaen).

Any advice/musings appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

PS - if anyone reading this is near Mahasarakham, may be turning it into a bit of a farang party if enthusiasm is there!

A proper steak with 3 veg. A good Spag Bol with cheese. A decent stew with potatoes, carrots perhaps some celery, thick gravy and tender beef cubes. A thick pork steak or chop with green beans mashed spud and apple sauce. Lamb shanks with mint sauce!

God! My mouth is watering!:rolleyes:

Interesting !

We have been married now for 3 years and both of us are learnng how to cook !

My wife - Spag Bol is good. One pot so is Chili con carne and Irish stew and coq au Vin

Chips. Roast potatoes Scrambled eggs and also poached egg.

Pizza using bicarbonate of soda instead of yeast

Lasagna. Fish in beer batter (Yorkshire recipe)

Cheese on toast

Baked potato with filling

Caesar Salad with all the trimmings

Good Luck !

Spag bol seems a popular choice, thanks for your input. I was tempted by a stew or fish and chips (I'm from Yorkshire - could even do yorky puds) as suggested too - would Americans/Aussies be impressed by these skills?

Much appreciated, keep the ideas coming! Really shouldn't read this before lunch, chicken and rice may not cut it today.

Some "western" home cooking I'd appreciate that are doable in Thailand --

Italian-American style lasagna (using ricotta cheese)

Spaghetti and meatballs (big ones)

Southern fried chicken (not KFC)

Pot roast (beef)

Pasta with basil pesto sauce (made from scratch)

Mediterranean style fried squid

Edited by Jingthing

my wife loves cajun catfish... we use dory (pangasius) - the spices are easy to find in Thailand and can be served with rice - cajun rice or white.

casseroles are great for feeding many.... chicken or tuna tetrazzini, perhaps. the noodles are cheap.

stews... including the joys of the slow-cooker.

An nice easy one in the Italian style might be chicken calabrese - recipe here, it can be baked as directed or made in the slow-cooker as a stew. For a slow-cooker stew just cut chicken and potatoes into stew chunks, brown chicken, toss everything into the crock, and then slow-cook about 4-hours or so. If you'd like some of our sauces for your project, we can ship to you directly - it'd be a lot cheaper than buying retail. PM me if so.

Roast pork and roast chicken ( with stuffing) with proper crackling-Pork that is and roast potatoes, roast vegetables, not mash. Pasta( many different kinds available in Thailand) but NOT Spag bol.O verdone .And very boring .I could list about 100 different sauces ,but somebody stole my Pasta cook book. I make good stews-Both pork and chicken. in my SLOW cooker.With plenty of foreign herbs. Though for some reason, I have difficulty buying Sage. Pork chops ,absolutely.Home made icecream.Home made soups could be good. interesting omelettes for breakfast as well as scrambled eggs.I have had for many years ,a most interesting book- A Dictionary of Food and Drink, by Pricha Dangrojanqa. ISBN 974-7128-15-2 .

I miss smoked haddock with onion simmered in milk . I would dearly like to know of any localy smoked fresh fish in Thailand and then try out this recipe . I tried it with smoked salmon but found the slices too thin and they fell apart and it was a pricey meal . If I could find say a smoked mackeral I would roll it in oats and then shallow fry it . These dishes would interest my wife too .

Luke

Do everyone a favour and and turn them off making gawd-awful kai dao (those disgusting deep-fried eggs that are the Thai version of sunny side up.) Point out to them that it's an extremely lazy and unhealthy way to cook an egg. Teach them how to make eggs over easy, sunny side up, poached, and soft boiled. Eggs can be such a nice thing to eat (as long as they're not cracked into a wok of cheap and nasty oil).

Kai tiow (probably bad spelling, but i'm talking about the Thai version of an omelet) is also usually nothing more than a horrible oil sponge. Teach them how to make a proper omelet.

Where did Thais ever get the idea that the only way to serve an egg at breakfast is to deep-fry it?

Edited by Wavefloater

Do everyone a favour and and turn them off making gawd-awful kai dao (those disgusting deep-fried eggs that are the Thai version of sunny side up.) Point out to them that it's an extremely lazy and unhealthy way to cook an egg. Teach them how to make eggs over easy, sunny side up, poached, and soft boiled. Eggs can be such a nice thing to eat (as long as they're not cracked into a wok of cheap and nasty oil).

Kai tiow (probably bad spelling, but i'm talking about the Thai version of an omelet) is also usually nothing more than a horrible oil sponge. Teach them how to make a proper omelet.

Where did Thais ever get the idea that the only way to serve an egg at breakfast is to deep-fry it?

good idea - something as simple as a proper western egg can tend to be elusive to many a Thai cook.

kai jiaow - yes, an oil sponge. More oil than egg. Agreed, nasty.

Roast pork and roast chicken ( with stuffing) with proper crackling-Pork that is and roast potatoes, roast vegetables, not mash. Pasta( many different kinds available in Thailand) but NOT Spag bol.O verdone .And very boring .I could list about 100 different sauces ,but somebody stole my Pasta cook book. I make good stews-Both pork and chicken. in my SLOW cooker.With plenty of foreign herbs. Though for some reason, I have difficulty buying Sage. Pork chops ,absolutely.Home made icecream.Home made soups could be good. interesting omelettes for breakfast as well as scrambled eggs.I have had for many years ,a most interesting book- A Dictionary of Food and Drink, by Pricha Dangrojanqa. ISBN 974-7128-15-2 .

If you have a friend near a Foodland, they do Sage, the only place i know. Also Sage and Onion Stuffing Mix that's really fine quality.:jap: .

Well My wife does a great brekky which she learned to do by watching me...it looks a lot prettier and she never breaks or blackens the eggs unlike me..

Fried thin sliced belly pork ( sometimes marinated), Fried sliced potatoes, Fried tomatoes, Fried eggs (3),fried Mushrooms plus Papaya, Pineapple, Mango grapes, mangosteen or whatever is in the fridge.. Plus fresh squeezed orange juice and toast Croissant or homemade bread if there is any left...lol

Guess that would impress any morning after guest ...lol

i think you will find, but i may be wrong on this. is that Thais are extremely touchy about the way they eat their eggs. think it may have something to do with the fear of the yolk not being cooked enough and them getting ill by eating a runny egg. a lot of Thais i know will not even eat the yolk and only eat the white and those that do will usually only eat it if its rock hard.

crazy i know, especially when you see some of the things they stuff down their throat a lot of the time. huh.gif

and while we are on the subject of what i would like them to cook.

a proper Sunday roast, with real Yorkshire puds !

how to master the art of cooking a fine Christmas dinner. i.e. not to let the turkey get too dry.

wife can cook a good fry up, so no problems there.

Carrot cake and learning to bake.

Edited by tigerfish

i think you will find, but i may be wrong on this. is that Thais are extremely touchy about the way they eat their eggs. think it may have something to do with the fear of the yolk not being cooked enough and them getting ill by eating a runny egg. a lot of Thais i know will not even eat the yolk and only eat the white and those that do will usually only eat it if its rock hard.

crazy i know, especially when you see some of the things they stuff down their throat a lot of the time. huh.gif

could be a regional thing... or maybe my area is "ab" (Thai for abnormal)... but the locals here (Chainat) seem to have no qualms about eating runny yolks in their kai dao.

Edited by NanaFoods

I taught a western cooking class and Chiang Mai University, and the students seemed most intrigued with Italian food than any other cuisine. They loved chicken parmissanne, and made me repeat the lesson using other meats. Also they wanted to know about different toppings for pizza.

I think we could run a whole course on this! The class is 8am-noon so I'm planning (so far - keep the ideas coming!)<br><br>

8am: prep, intro to ingredients and make a homemade golden syrup.<br>

9am: omlettes, enjoy breakfast with croissants and English tea or American style coffee.<br>

10am: dessert: rocky road, chocolate cake.<br>

11am: a range of sauces to make either lasagne, spag bol or carbonara. <br>

Noon: tuck in.<br><br><br>

I'd really like to do pizza tossing or pies for the joys of dough. Not enough hours in the day.... more thoughts or hints v welcome.<br>

Edited by MarkCarver

• 2 weeks later...

Beef pot roast

Pasta--go with putenesca or amatriciana (more impressive and conducive to Thai tastes, and real easy to make)

Carnitas

Simple broiled pork chops

Pork chops with a mushroom sauce (can use canned mushroom soup as a base)

A turkey dinner (expensive here in Thailand, though)

Mac and cheese (I never eat it , but a favorite and easy to make)

Gazpacho

Cajun-style fish or chicken

A proper steak with 3 veg. A good Spag Bol with cheese. A decent stew with potatoes, carrots perhaps some celery, thick gravy and tender beef cubes. A thick pork steak or chop with green beans mashed spud and apple sauce. Lamb shanks with mint sauce!

God! My mouth is watering!:rolleyes:

Agreed ,,, a nice lean steak and ale pie with crispy pastry, accompanied with potatoes peas, carrots and broccoli with melted cheese mmmmm,,,,,

• 5 months later...

Main Course:

Charcoal-grilled hamburger (various doneness levels of well-done, medium-rare, medium, or rare) with or without melted cheese

Beef stew

Simple pasta with butter, red or white sauce

Grilled steaks (gotta know how to select the right cuts of beef)

Sandwiches

Standing rib roast

Pot roast

Pork chops

Chile con Carne

Tacos

Breakfast:

French toast

Pancakes

Waffles

Hot cereals (grits, oatmeal, etc.)

Breakfast meats

Eggs

Cheeses:

Learn to identify which cheese goes well or traditionally is paired with what dish or with just a sandwich and to select the appropriate thickness or thinness of sliced cheese

Sides:

French fries/potato chips

Mashed potatoes and gravy

Salads

Candied yams

Corn bread

Yorkshire pudding or simple popovers

Soup:

Chicken soup

Desserts:

Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies

Brownies