New Rules Regarding Tax Payable In Thailand?

This Thai government website has information about the tax treaties in force with many countries.

http://www.rd.go.th/publish/765.0.html

Tax treaties are clear IMHO +181 Day in Thailand and you are liable for tax on capital income here.

As I do not even have an account here what could they be checking on my tax record. I can show them my end of year interests received on my credit card account which will be in the area of 100€. I shift money from other accounts to my credit account every 3 months. Should that be enough for the Thai Tax offcial. I sincerly hope I will be able to get a Thai tax id....

From what I gather that if you pay taxes in your country then you will not have to here....is that right ??

Does gst count ??....which of the dozen or so sneaky underhanded taxes would they like to see that I pay ??.....council tax, land tax, gst tax, bend over tax.....??

This Thai government website has information about the tax treaties in force with many countries.

Tax treaties are clear IMHO +181 Day in Thailand and you are liable for tax on capital income here.

As I do not even have an account here what could they be checking on my tax record. I can show them my end of year interests received on my credit card account which will be in the area of 100€. I shift money from other accounts to my credit account every 3 months. Should that be enough for the Thai Tax offcial. I sincerly hope I will be able to get a Thai tax id....

"Tax treaties are clear IMHO +181 Day in Thailand and you are liable for tax on capital income here. "

forgot to add of course you are liable only if you transfered the interest part to Thailand in the same year you earned the interest.

From what I gather that if you pay taxes in your country then you will not have to here....is that right ??

no it's not right. it all depends on the double tax agreement your country (or the country where the gains are generated) has signed with Thailand.

"Tax treaties are clear IMHO +181 Day in Thailand and you are liable for tax on capital income here. "

forgot to add of course you are liable only if you transfered the interest part to Thailand in the same year you earned the interest.

not only the interest part but all gains are taxable if transferred to Thailand in the year when they were earned. apart from the alleged "new rules" until now the tax authorities cared a flying fàrt when the money was earned which people transferred.

only time will tell whether this will be the case in future. but in case proof is asked what problems exist to provide a statement from one's bank stating that specific transfers are made from gains made before World War II?

:whistling:

Probably a stupid question but do you get any benefits at all paying this tax here in Thailand???

if your question is directed at TV-member "stat" the answer is "he is getting a sh*tload of benefits if he is able to pay a small amount of taxes in Thailand".

Probably a stupid question but do you get any benefits at all paying this tax here in Thailand???

Otherwise I would not post the question :-) Does european savings directive ring a bell

Stat, how would you define "capital income" here in Thailand

. ?

. ?

The Tax authorities here define it as interest or capital gains accrued in the same year as remitted to Thailand. In my case I would earn 100€ interest out of 15.000€ and would use my visacard here in Thailand.

No real need for me to pay taxes here. I just need a certification from Thai tax authorities that I have stayed a 181 days plus in Thailand to satisfy the European savings directive. According to their website you need a tax id for that. I will find out soon enough if I can get this certificate.

. ?

The Tax authorities here define it as interest or capital gains accrued in the same year as remitted to Thailand. In my case I would earn 100€ interest out of 15.000€ and would use my visacard here in Thailand.

No real need for me to pay taxes here. I just need a certification from Thai tax authorities that I have stayed a 181 days plus in Thailand to satisfy the European savings directive. According to their website you need a tax id for that. I will find out soon enough if I can get this certificate.

Thank you Stat.

Sorry to be off topic but im importing my bmw to thailand and due to very high import duty i heard that if the vehicle is in my thai wifes name who lives here in the uk with me for more than 2 years that we dont pay duty on it. Can anyone shed light on this please many thanks guys and gals

Sorry to be off topic but im importing my bmw to thailand and due to very high import duty i heard that if the vehicle is in my thai wifes name who lives here in the uk with me for more than 2 years that we dont pay duty on it. Can anyone shed light on this please many thanks guys and gals

Very much off topic. I think you should go have a look in the motor forum of Thai Visa (keep scrolling down)

A couple of points though

- though Thai citizens can import personal belongings duty free if they have been out of the country for more than 12 months, you'll find that motor vehicles are exempted from this allowance.

- Be prepared to pay so much tax and import duty on it, that you'll wish you just sold it before you left (not to mention Customs holding it up for ever, with little likelihood that they'll actually release it to you).

not true! as a returning Thai citizen she is allowed to import a vehicle from overseas as long as she has owned it for a minimum period whilst overseas but, she will still have to pay duty and other charges (think in terms of 2x to 4x the cars European value) .Exactly the same rules apply to a farang with a valid work permit. There is no special exemption for Thai citizens, unless they are returning diplomats. There are many threads on this in the auto section.

Edited by wordchild

not only the interest part but all gains are taxable if transferred to Thailand in the year when they were earned. apart from the alleged "new rules" until now the tax authorities cared a flying fàrt when the money was earned which people transferred.

only time will tell whether this will be the case in future. but in case proof is asked what problems exist to provide a statement from one's bank stating that specific transfers are made from gains made before World War II?

:whistling:

Hmm which bank would provide a statement from when gains have been made? I hope seperated accounts with the same bank are enough?