Canoe Or Kayak?

Iolare

I'm up near the Sarasin Bridge and I'd like to explore my part of Phang Nga bay by paddling a canoe or kayak for fun and regular exercise. I'm next to a large mangrove forest and during mid and high tides there are canals and wider waterways that seem to go on for kilometers--all very pristine and undeveloped. Also, going the other way, there's interesting shoreline from my point down to the bridge, so I wouln't have to venture into surf, big waves or deep water.

I'm familiar with the sit-on-top plastic kayaks that are offered for sale here, but I would prefer a more traditional canoe or kayak with side walls. Does anyone know if there are any here? Over a year ago I saw an ad posted by a local cedar strip canoe and kayak builder, and I really liked the look of his boats, but now when I'm finally ready to buy one, I can't find his ads.

Baht sold and the Phuket Gazzette usually have a few ads with some kayaks and inflatable canoes. I would like to hear more of the cedar canoe builder if you find his address. There are some really nice kits available in the US. I've thought about building one from a kit just to have a mission in life.

Check with Dave at Paddle Asia -- this Phuket based company uses the traditional kayak style so he'd know where to source them (and he's probably got some great tips on where to go!).

That part of the island is lovely -- let's hope it stays that way!

Edited by saneroad

What I was hoping for was for someone to comment with the name of the guy who builds the wooden canoes and kayaks here, or better even would have been if the guy himself appeared here.

Since that's not happening, what I'll probably end up doing is buying one of the plastic kayaks, and then start building a wooden canoe myself. I know it would be a lot of work and would probably take a lot of time, so I'd want the plastic one for exercise in the meantime, but I think creating your own canoe would be a satisfying project. I had a Canadian built cedar strip canoe in the US and really enjoyed it. Here's a picture of one:

post-46635-0-80542100-1308971821_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

I used to love canoe paddling here in Hawaii but got into SUP for good workouts and great to see the shoreline. Check them out they might peak your interests. I have 4 SUP's in Kata and would love to explore that area of Phuket. Will be there in November to check it all out. Aloha and happy paddling.

What I was hoping for was for someone to comment with the name of the guy who builds the wooden canoes and kayaks here, or better even would have been if the guy himself appeared here.

Since that's not happening, what I'll probably end up doing is buying one of the plastic kayaks, and then start building a wooden canoe myself. I know it would be a lot of work and would probably take a lot of time, so I'd want the plastic one for exercise in the meantime, but I think creating your own canoe would be a satisfying project. I had a Canadian built cedar strip canoe in the US and really enjoyed it. Here's a picture of one:

I used to love canoe paddling here in Hawaii but got into SUP for good workouts and great to see the shoreline. Check them out they might peak your interests. I have 4 SUP's in Kata and would love to explore that area of Phuket. Will be there in November to check it all out. Aloha and happy paddling.

I had to Google it to learn that SUP is short for "stand up paddle." It's standing on a surfboard and paddling with a long handled paddle. Thanks for the heads up, Honoluabay, I think SUP would be worth trying, as it does look like it would be fun and good exercise. For me though, the canoe would be more versatile. I could fish from it and take along another paddler if I wanted. Check out my area when you get back in November, lots of places to launch from.