British Tourist Complains Thai Police Will Not Investigate His Ladyboy Masseur

webfact

This story makes me feel a lot less bad about some of the foolish things I've done.

I agree with you there.

I translated the story to my wife (she was a journo with the Nation) and she cracked up laughing. But did say that some of those boys that dressed as girls preyed on the pissed up tourists.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to live near a Turkish resort which had a certain amount of crime against tourists. THe police there took a diferent aproach. They knew it was unlikely the tourist would return so nthey would never get a case to court but thought a stay in the cells for a few uncomfortable days and a prison haircut was at least better than nothing.

The fact is that it`s the guy's own fault, so why should the police put resources into an investigation caused by this guy's stupidity?

The fact is the guy was robbed and the police won't do anything about it.

Your attitude of blaming the victim is horrendous. It clearly shows why foreigners have very little rights in Thailand when their fellow aliens won't stand up for them. You should be ashamed and know better.

I'd be inclined to agree, but for this tourist's upfront claim that he had been 'fighting off the girls all night.' There are few - if any - katoeys that can measure up to a typical Thai girl, no matter how much I hear of katoeys being 'beautiful'. If he really was that popular, how come he waited until he got back to the hotel, before deciding he hadn't had enough to drink and needed to be directed to an 'illegal' mobile bar, where he then proceeded to chat-up a ladyboy . . .?

Edited by JohnAllan

Another aproach is that of Singapore several years ago where the Tourist Board paid the fares of several victims of crime to return to Singapore to give evidence in court. It sent the message that just because they victim was a tourist and returned to their home there was still something that could be done.

As usual we have some posters defending the crime and the criminals in thailand, blaming the victims.....

For those whom are still unsure about the local police force, i was victim of a theft in my home and the thief was threating to kill me with a machete, all in the daylight and with people around, when the "police" came, the thief and "would be killer" admitted everything he did and even showed where all my stolen belongings were kept, then the police did try to find a reason to arrest me instead, wanting to see my passport and all the rest, luckily all my paperwork is in order so they couldn't, then they start asking other questions like, if i had other valuables in my home and where do i keep them....welcome to thailand everyone !!! :jap:

Yet incredibly and much to the chagrin and shame of Thailand nothing is done. Worse still is the fact that following this publicity no Thai has the decency to right this wrong. The story goes international as the Lady Boy aspect makes it newsworthy. And still Thais don't give a ferk as to the impression it reinforces. That of Thailand being a joke.

Yet here we are, living here, and millions of us visiting here every year. Many with tears in their eyes when they have to go home.

What a joke of a place huh. :rolleyes:

It's hard to defend the "victim" when the victim has acted so foolishly. After-hours drinking, drunk, flirting with a stranger (a katoey no-less) in the red-light district and bringing that stranger back to his room where his cash is stashed, is less than an ideal meeting. whistling.gif (wow)

I do think it is in the right of the Thai police to question the "john" as to what he was doing with him/her. Wouldn't a relationship between victim and perpetrator want to be established in any crime? Strikes me as standard operating procedure. As far as "follow-up" on such a minor offense. Let's face it. It's only 30,000 Bt and he could have been left much worse for wear. Word of advice: cancel your credit cards immediately after they are stolen. Don't wait to file a police report. I had my wallet stolen right out of my pocket on the BTS and as soon as I got back to my room, I was on the phone to the credit card company. Only after did I deal with police just to have a record of it in case the credit card company wanted it. I think the police in this guy's situation helped all they really could.

Of course, I feel a little for the guy if this was his first visit to Bangkok. Buck up, buddy. There are more misadventures awaiting you if you stay here long enough. jap.gif

quote name='housepainter' timestamp='1308806380' post='4507998']

Yet incredibly and much to the chagrin and shame of Thailand nothing is done. Worse still is the fact that following this publicity no Thai has the decency to right this wrong. The story goes international as the Lady Boy aspect makes it newsworthy. And still Thais don't give a ferk as to the impression it reinforces. That of Thailand being a joke.

Nothing is done because nothing is worth doing. This is hardly newsworthy. There are many more thing that are wrong that should be rectified that has much higher priority. As to the Thais giving a ferk, surely you must have stayed here long enough to know better than to think that the Thais are going to be bothered about anything that happens to Farangs here.

The joke is on the Farangs who continue to stay here, unhappy with everything this country has to offer but can't afford to return to their homeland. The Farangs that have accepted the way things are, are among the happiest and most contented people you will find in Thailand.

Well said!

Nothing is done because nothing is worth doing. This is hardly newsworthy. There are many more thing that are wrong that should be rectified that has much higher priority. As to the Thais giving a ferk, surely you must have stayed here long enough to know better than to think that the Thais are going to be bothered about anything that happens to Farangs here.

The joke is on the Farangs who continue to stay here, unhappy with everything this country has to offer but can't afford to return to their homeland. The Farangs that have accepted the way things are, are among the happiest and most contented people you will find in Thailand.

The fact is that it`s the guy's own fault, so why should the police put resources into an investigation caused by this guy's stupidity?

Your attitude of blaming the victim is horrendous. It clearly shows why foreigners have very little rights in Thailand when their fellow aliens won't stand up for them. You should be ashamed and know better.

I'd be inclined to agree, but for this tourist's upfront claim that he had been 'fighting off the girls all night.' There are few - if any - katoeys that can measure up to a typical Thai girl, no matter how much I hear of katoeys being 'beautiful'. If he really was that popular, how come he waited until he got back to the hotel, before deciding he hadn't had enough to drink and needed to be directed to an 'illegal' mobile bar, where he then proceeded to chat-up a ladyboy . . .?

IMO, a high % of thai females in the suk nana area are nothing to write home about, many absolutely nasty. While some LB's are also nasty looking, there are enough that actually do look a lot better than many nana females Really, google images "thai fhm"; or google thai fhm website, those are nice thai females IMO, and but a small % of nana females even come close. It also seems there is no lack of alcohol/drug problem, general "low lives" women/LB's in that area.

IMO, a high % of thai females in the suk nana area are nothing to write home about, many absolutely nasty. While some LB's are also nasty looking, there are enough that actually do look a lot better than many nana females Really, google images "thai fhm"; or google thai fhm website, those are nice thai females IMO, and but a small % of nana females even come close. It also seems there is no lack of alcohol/drug problem, general "low lives" women/LB's in that area.

You should not forget one thing, old boy: beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

Published by Andrew Drummond"Very little more needs to be said in a story that is as full of holes as a Swiss cheese. There is probably an element of truth in it, like most of his reports, but they hardly justify being called "Thai News".

I agree. This "reporter" and reality have been strangers for a long time.

Of course if you just want to stir up the Thai bashers here at TV, facts remain largely irrelevant anyway.

Edited by Suradit

Play with fire and get burned - most people are not so stupid.

If a crime has been committed, no matter how obvious or easily avoidable that could have been, it does not make the criminal look any better and for sure it should not give him a right to continue in any of those criminal acts.

Whatever knowledge/skills someone might have, there is still something that we don't know about, something perhaps which for some given circumstances is complitely obvious for somebody else, this do not make someone automatically stupid.

I will continue to consider a criminal a criminal and a victim still a victim, not the other way round.

If it is the area at the top of Suk and Asok where he picked up the ladyboy is not an area they frequent.

The girls who work at those bars are all genetic females and they need to be barfined.

Saying that, it could be on Suk before you get to Asoke station more near to the Westin/Robinsons. Whenever I walk past there I have noticed a street bar with only ladyboys there.

As he was fresh off the boat he probably had no idea what he was going with.

At least when he woke up his underwear wasn't back to front?

This thread has been going on to long. Unfortunately life is not black and white. No you should not be robbed but you are hanging out in an area with people not so nice, you are drinking way to much and your level of experience for what you are doing is a 1 on a scale of 10. No you donot deserve to be robbed or beaten but everything you are doing says do me. You are making it easy for the criminal to take advantage of you you are making yourself the victim.

Stay in your room and drink next time, go with some friends, do not drink so much if you have to drink, do not make yourself a victim, Yes he made himself the victim of someone looking for someone just like him.

Everything he did says I am a victim take advantage of me. And guess what they did and now he is a victim again because the police will not take his police report for being a victim.

"Published by Andrew Drummond"

Very little more needs to be said in a story that is as full of holes as a Swiss cheese. There is probably an element of truth in it, like most of his reports, but they hardly justify being called "Thai News".

Agreed. This is a story fit for News of the World.

Splendid idead, our kid. Takes a reader to spot this. Give them a call. They might even pay a tip fee.

"Splendid idead!. So this is now a suspected suicide! " "Might even pay a tip fee!" Ooooh Matron!

I understand the suggestion from many that "dangerous" area/individuals should be avoided, but lets have a deeper look into it.

We have the "law's enforcers" refusing to take any actions and many people thinking like them that the solution is just to avoid those places/people, so, in fact giving them complete power to do whatever they like in those places or to any people they meet, creating "ghettos" and everything else that comes with it, i guess those areas haven't always been an "hell" as they currently are, what is stopping those people in expanding their areas of influence? respect for the others? ah ahh ahh, funny thought.

Is this the kind of society people are aspiring to? Wouldn't be better if we ALL start to walk in those "off limits" places and making them become a "normal" place again? Those lazy(or just corrupted) officers in the end, when they see that it create more work to do nothing instead to do what they are supposed to do, might eventually join in....

"He said he had successfully been fighting the women off all night while inspecting a nearby infamous red light area"

I thought i was the only"Sexy Man" out there. This means 2 of us?blink.gif

Maybe he was successfully beating off the ladyboys all night?

Puts a different flavor to the whole story.

Play with fire and get burned - most people are not so stupid.

I dont understand it. Before I met my wife 15 years ago I used to on occasion visit most of known amusement spots and not being a saint had many encounters with a lot of shall we say working ladies. I had great times but never met a catoy or ladyboy even being well over top and totally drunk on occasions. Many many times my companion had every chance to take my wallet although in those days I always went out with just 10,000 baht and no credit cards for my night out. I would not want my wife to know how many times I awoke in the morning checked my wallet to find most of money left and remembering just in each place I and my lady friend went (working girl) just morning my wallet giving it to her and saying pay the bill. I was never cheated and usually just gave lady what was left in my wallet in the morning much to their delight usually. Their was no pretence at all. It was simply a night out with a beautiful girl who was on many occasions happy to have someone treat her nicely buy her a nice dinner go to a show or whatever and then mostly (I think) enjoy night if I was sober enough. Im by no means handsome and am quite overweight but was never cheated.

?? Was I just lucky for 15 years before I met my wife coming here 3-4 times a year on business or have things changed so much in 15 years. AsI said I have not been on scene for 15years but remember all my encounters with a great smile.

Dont tell the wife she knows im no angel but would be most shocked to know what I used to get up to. And thats not saying my lady is different she is but sometimes i have thoughts of all ladies who where shall we say working girls.

This thread has been going on to long. Unfortunately life is not black and white. No you should not be robbed but you are hanging out in an area with people not so nice, you are drinking way to much and your level of experience for what you are doing is a 1 on a scale of 10. No you donot deserve to be robbed or beaten but everything you are doing says do me. You are making it easy for the criminal to take advantage of you you are making yourself the victim.

Stay in your room and drink next time, go with some friends, do not drink so much if you have to drink, do not make yourself a victim, Yes he made himself the victim of someone looking for someone just like him.

Everything he did says I am a victim take advantage of me. And guess what they did and now he is a victim again because the police will not take his police report for being a victim.

This is not too dissimilar to saying that young ladies wearing miniskirts are just asking to be raped.

Kevin says he was shocked to find out that his masseuse was a masseur and that he had had a man in his room all night but said he also actually felt relieved that he had not been murdered as he had heard stories like this. It was a salutary first night.

What a story! I'm truly amazed how a story can be changed. Taking a Kathoey to your room for a massage in the early morning hour? It was a salutary first night, indeed. :jap:

You have to remember you are an old Thai hand. Many people come to Thailand not knowing a thing about the place. I can well believe the story. When i first came here i knew nothing about Thailand.

It also goes to show what a rotten mango Bangkok is becoming. I often wonder why i am here, and its a matter of time before i move on, because it just gets worse.

Edited by MaiChai

"He said he had successfully been fighting the women off all night while inspecting a nearby infamous red light area"

I thought i was the only"Sexy Man" out there. This means 2 of us?blink.gif

Maybe he was successfully beating off the ladyboys all night?

Puts a different flavor to the whole story.

LOL