Common Courtesy

Raindancer

15,000 and counting... LOL

Yeppers! I have 5.5 posts a day since I joined. 6000+ in Newsclippings.Your current stats aren't that far off at 4/day :) with a higher percentage in the newsclippings section. I imagine that having posts on the forum is good for the forum itself if only from an advertising standpoint :)

Edited by jdinasia

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15,000 and counting... LOL

Yeppers! I have 5.5 posts a day since I joined. 6000+ in Newsclippings.Your current stats aren't that far off at 4/day :) with a higher percentage in the newsclippings section. I imagine that having posts on the forum is good for the forum itself if only from an advertising standpoint :)

you certainly love yourself Khun JDinAsia! if you stop baiting and sniping it would be cool

I think some people are jealous of high post counts because they are just too lazy to get theirs up.

Depends whether you have a life beyond that screen you are staring at doesn't it. It also depends on the quality of those posts, informative, constructive and useful or vindictive, aggressive and pointless.

I think some people are jealous of high post counts because they are just too lazy to get theirs up.

Depends whether you have a life beyond that screen you are staring at doesn't it. It also depends on the quality of those posts, informative, constructive and useful or vindictive, aggressive and pointless.

As a relative newcomer it is apparent that some seek to inform and share and some seek to condescend and attack. A virtual mafia of long-resident posters who take so much pride in their thousands of posts and time served - this is not the real world folks! it's a forum and no one has the monopoly on wisdom on here

I guess I'm just old fashioned. I was raised during the time of the Golden Rule....... "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

And also "If you have nothing good to say, then say nothing at all"

No WONDER I've been having all these problems with people. I thought it was ... "Do unto others BEFORE they have a chance to do unto you"

Anyway, at least I got my licks in first.

It is a funny thing though, stick around, don't break the rules, play reasonably nice, don't threaten people, and avoid trolling as much as possible and post counts go up naturally. So many new faces appear right around the time of major political stuff happening in Thailand, but then again so many just slightly older faces go away via being banned.

If you look at the OP (which ends in a bit if nastiness) and his post immediately prior to starting this thread and he appears guilty of exactly what he is complaining about. Personally, I work behind a desk 60+ hours a week requiring constant access to the internet but most of the time is just spent waiting on emails so I post a lot. Some of it helpful, some of it politics (obviously not helping anything! ;) ) and some just random chatter. It beats watching television :)

I do not envy the moderators of this forum, it is a tough job keeping trolls and such under control!

Solid advice for anyone ---- if you find someone too obnoxious to tolerate then hit the "report" button or use the ignore function.

Maybe they have nothing better to do and have something missing in their life,

I myself lurked for a couple of years on Thai Visa afraid to ask even a simple

question or make a comment due to what i saw happen to others that did

and fell foul to the unjustified, and uncalled for nasty comments,that achieved

nothing, other than to make people think twice before posting for help or make

a comment,

It costs nothing to be civil and to show kindness and be helpful to others,

and the World and Thai Visa would be a better place

Take care ,kind regards Worgeordie

It is a funny thing though, stick around, don't break the rules, play reasonably nice, don't threaten people, and avoid trolling as much as possible and post counts go up naturally. So many new faces appear right around the time of major political stuff happening in Thailand, but then again so many just slightly older faces go away via being banned.

If you look at the OP (which ends in a bit if nastiness) and his post immediately prior to starting this thread and he appears guilty of exactly what he is complaining about. Personally, I work behind a desk 60+ hours a week requiring constant access to the internet but most of the time is just spent waiting on emails so I post a lot. Some of it helpful, some of it politics (obviously not helping anything! ;) ) and some just random chatter. It beats watching television :)

I do not envy the moderators of this forum, it is a tough job keeping trolls and such under control!

Solid advice for anyone ---- if you find someone too obnoxious to tolerate then hit the "report" button or use the ignore function.

What a strange interpretation of a simple question to my original post I see nothing "nasty" in my post nor do I accept being accused of being guilty of what I am complaining about, nor previous comments to starting this thread. Indeed it was not a complaint, but merely a question of attitude from others that I observed upon, which I sought clarification for my own understanding. There is a vast difference to a complaint as opposed to a question requiring clarification of behaviour so that I can benefit from other peoples views on this subject.

It was not intended to put others down, just my attempt to get a grasp on why people are so impolite in their responses to the many people seeking help.

Regards

PS As Mooban said so accurately in a reply to you ...JDINASIA ....stop baiting people and that would be cool.....!!!!

Edited by Raindancer

What a strange interpretation of a simple question to my original post I see nothing "nasty" in my post nor do I accept being accused of being guilty of what I am complaining about, nor previous comments to starting this thread. Indeed it was not a complaint, but merely a question of attitude from others that I observed upon, which I sought clarification for my own understanding. There is a vast difference to a complaint as opposed to a question requiring clarification of behaviour so that I can benefit from other peoples views on this subject.

It was not intended to put others down, just my attempt to get a grasp on why people are so impolite in their responses to the many people seeking help.

Regards

PS As Mooban said so accurately in a reply to you ...JDINASIA ....stop baiting people and that would be cool.....!!!!

I am sorry but we don't see eye-to-eye about this thread and the reason you appear to have started it. Nancy had about the best response on this thread, though I agree with many others :) It appears that your statement "All thoughts are welcome!" only applies to people that see things the way you do.

From the Original Post in this thread.

.Sad Sad people who have no courage to face one on one!

Simply name calling/baiting/flaming --- completely critical
s English his first language?

This person is looking for help...not your detrimental caustic comments .. But that is usual for You, after studying your responses to posts in the past. Would you be so impolite as to say this face to face ...I think not!.. Give a little latitude to those whom you seem to think are inferior to you.!!

A little understanding and kindness goes a long way in trying to help, rather than finding critical faults with posts , which seems to be your normal approach to those in need.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. Find something positive to add to help people, rather than sit in judgement and try to add replies tin a positive response, rather than boost your small ego of superiority of other humans, who have genuine enquiries.

From the other thread where you have a go at a poster as noted in one of my earliest replies to this thread. The thread/post that apparently goaded you into opening this thread. Common courtesy doesn't just go one way and it can be tough not to respond to someone you think is trolling.....

The person you were having a go at didn't understand the original poster in that thread and asked a question. You didn't like it and laid right into him. You didn't address the question raised by the OP at all (maybe you didn't understand it either?, I know I didn't!) The thing is .. your reply was only critical. It didn't help the OP at all.

Common sense would dictate that choosing not to be baited (if you think someone is baiting you), or not lowering yourself to the level that you think other people are behaving at, should be important to someone that thinks (there's that word again!) that something isn't appropriate.

Remember there is both the "report" button and the "ignore" function and both are useful.

Regards

Just as a matter of interest do you have to do any kind of business /communication online with people you have never met? It is my observation that "attitude" is not decipherable from the written word in a large number of cases online. Some people have a style of writing that comes across differently than their personality in reality.

Some people can come across as impolite in writing and are definitely not in person. Its not because they are hiding that is just how they communicate in writing.

It is also a fact that not every one is going to agree, that is life.

Quite frankly I would prefer that people respond to my posts with a dose of humour, sarcasm, criticism or whatever. Otherwise the forum would be so boring it would be more like reading one of those Makro discount flyers that my dog likes to chew up.

Anyway that's my opinion and anyone is free to challenge it - although it would be nice if you could use a bit of common sense and intelligence in doing so.

Just as a matter of interest do you have to do any kind of business /communication online with people you have never met? It is my observation that "attitude" is not decipherable from the written word in a large number of cases online. Some people have a style of writing that comes across differently than their personality in reality.

Some people can come across as impolite in writing and are definitely not in person. Its not because they are hiding that is just how they communicate in writing.

It is also a fact that not every one is going to agree, that is life.

Quite frankly I would prefer that people respond to my posts with a dose of humour, sarcasm, criticism or whatever. Otherwise the forum would be so boring it would be more like reading one of those Makro discount flyers that my dog likes to chew up.

Anyway that's my opinion and anyone is free to challenge it - although it would be nice if you could use a bit of common sense and intelligence in doing so.

Cheers Sally (and forgive me for saying it was Nancy that had the good post earlier in the thread ... I didn't look back and now I have and see it was you!)

I often don't agree with people on TVF about many things. I never get upset about it (particularly politics!) It is the nature of the beast so to speak. (Yes I think Sally and I have disagreed in the past ... and of course, I still think I am right about whatever it was we disagreed about ;p

edit ---- hmmm three posters from this page banned ! That may be a record!

Edited by jdinasia

It's the Brits fault.

How's that for a shyster of a comment on the very first reply, op!

I am here after advice I am not here to witness bad manners.

This is the type of post that gets my back up. If you want advice and no bad manners, suggest not visiting open, online fora. TV is not a paid for service; it doesn't owe you anything. ;)

But it really is the Brits fault.

Remember there is both the "report" button and the "ignore" function and both are useful.

You are quite correct the ''Ignore function'' is very useful.. Tried yours lately?

Yes I have! I use it often but cleared out several of the folks that I had in the ignore list just today ... as they are no longer with us (with that screenname.