Looking For Used Tablet (E.G. Ipad, Kindle)

lukeskywalker

Hello,

I am looking for some type of tablet (preferably an iPad, but I know it's the most expensive of them all) that displays PDFs so that I can read them in bed.

Mods: I'm posting this in the CM forum because I must be able to physically inspect the device before buying as I do not want to get scammed (who does?).

So, if anyone has one up for sale, please PM me.

Regards,

Luke

walk around central airport plaza IT section... we were also shopping for tablet/pad and saw several used ones being sold over the counter... most had warranty still... just have to check around.. for my money, however, the savings was not that great... biggest savings i found was about 3k baht... so we went ahead and bought new...

edit for clarity

this was on monday/tuesday, this week. We went to Siam TV also and Panthip Plaza for comparison shopping. Airport plaza was the only place we found used ones - oops... except that place that sells wii/x-box games.. the often have used ipads too.

Edited by zippydedodah

I would advise against an iPad if you are only buying to read in bed. Get something like a Kindle, I got a Sony version. The screen on the iPad has the same glare as a computer screen which makes reading uncomfortable. eReaders have eInk screens which don't have that glare.

Sorry, but I can't advise on where to purchase in Chiang Mai, I had someone bring one over from the UK, you can order the Kindle off Amazon, including import tax and delivery I read someone got one into Thailand for less than $200.

I would advise against an iPad if you are only buying to read in bed. Get something like a Kindle, I got a Sony version. The screen on the iPad has the same glare as a computer screen which makes reading uncomfortable. eReaders have eInk screens which don't have that glare.

Sorry, but I can't advise on where to purchase in Chiang Mai, I had someone bring one over from the UK, you can order the Kindle off Amazon, including import tax and delivery I read someone got one into Thailand for less than $200.

But if you buy a Kindle, you're stuck with just their file formats right? I have many PDFs that I want to put on a tablet that are in, well, .pdf format.

Yes, but you can convert many(most) other formats to be read on a Kindle. Kindle is much easier on the eyes than the iPad.

But if you buy a Kindle, you're stuck with just their file formats right? I have many PDFs that I want to put on a tablet that are in, well, .pdf format.

Hello Luke.

I think for PDF files, in the main the iPad, Netbooks and general computers are still the best option for viewing these as mentioned by others. If however the PDF files you have are void of lots of graphics and tables, i.e. mostly text based, then you should be able to convert and view them pretty easily for the kindle.

I have a Kindle now after lots of umming and arring and it arrived just 4 days after ordering online. I'm reasonable tech savvy and not easily impressed these days with bells, whistles, and applets, but I have to say the Kindle is perhaps the most impressive purchase I've ever made on a technological item. It has certainly brought the reader out in me :)

I have had that famous Thai novel called 'Private Dancer' sitting on my notebook for years in PDF format but I just couldn't bring myself to sit at a backlit screen and read 400+ pages of text. Once I got the Kindle, I quickly converted it in under 90 seconds and thus had a great bedtime read for the week that followed. In fact I couldn't put the bloody thing down, and I'd recommend it as a 'must read' for anyone who's been living here for a few years. Educational, entertaining, funny, and sad, all rolled into one (sorry for the tangent, but I felt it worth a plug).

If possible, I would always remove any headers and footers from PDF files before converting them for Kindle otherwise they might just get added to the paragraphs which can be a bit annoying.

Cheers

Aitch

I have had that famous Thai novel called 'Private Dancer' sitting on my notebook for years in PDF format but I just couldn't bring myself to sit at a backlit screen and read 400+ pages of text. Once I got the Kindle, I quickly converted it in under 90 seconds and thus had a great bedtime read for the week that followed. In fact I couldn't put the bloody thing down, and I'd recommend it as a 'must read' for anyone who's been living here for a few years. Educational, entertaining, funny, and sad, all rolled into one (sorry for the tangent, but I felt it worth a plug).

OP - I have a Kindle and like it. Asked some Thai friends where some used ones might be and they said Panthip Plaza or classifieds.

Aitch - I read your post this morning, had the book on my shelf and so i spent the day reading it. Wow. Definitely all of those things. Expat Women should read the book too, I think it shines the light on the two way street thing and not so much one group taking advantage of the other

Edited by PlanetX

Hello Luke.

I think for PDF files, in the main the iPad, Netbooks and general computers are still the best option for viewing these as mentioned by others. If however the PDF files you have are void of lots of graphics and tables, i.e. mostly text based, then you should be able to convert and view them pretty easily for the kindle.

I have a Kindle now after lots of umming and arring and it arrived just 4 days after ordering online. I'm reasonable tech savvy and not easily impressed these days with bells, whistles, and applets, but I have to say the Kindle is perhaps the most impressive purchase I've ever made on a technological item. It has certainly brought the reader out in me :)

If possible, I would always remove any headers and footers from PDF files before converting them for Kindle otherwise they might just get added to the paragraphs which can be a bit annoying.

Cheers

Aitch

Cool. Thanks.

Did you order your Kindle directly from Amazon? How much was it and how much was shipping?

THX

Another option is the wifi Galaxy Tab 7" same size a Kindle. I just bought a new one for 9900 Baht. With the new models coming next month there may be some used ones available. Also consider service should you have a problem, can a Kindle be repaired in Thailand? Also a kindle is limited where as the Galaxy Tab is great for surfing the web or chatting on Skype. The 7" is easy to hold compared to a 10" I-Pad etc especially while relaxing in bed.

i agree with sakeopete... we just bought our 7" tab last week, but the more expensive 3G/wifi version for 13,999... and we couldn't be happier.

ipads are just too big for me. this fits in my shorts pocket or the wife's purse and is fast, very readable and with all the free android apps out there... it is fun too!