Korat

Nawtier

Anyone know much about it ??

Been there several times for visa and the mall....but that about it.

Someone told me about something there to go see and I wanted to go....but forgot what it was now.

Anyway, a good hotel to stay for a night, must have good pool and preferably stuff for kids to do.....we have stayed at the Korat Resort before out near the immigration centre.....anywhere else in town that is good with facilities ?

Western food....pizza or such...where is a good family type place.

Any other things to do or see ??.....not the zoo, kids been with school and I hear its crap...ish.

Go this web site.

http://www.isaan.com/

Everything and anything you,ll need to know about Korat.

By the way, I've been to the zoo a few times and, as faras zoo's go, I think its very good and stretched over a large area. Personally I think zoo's are sad places anyway, but the kids enjoy it. There is also a big water park with some high slides, but avoid it on school holidays at all costs.

If you show your Thai driving license you'll be charged the same admission fee as a Thai national.

Apart from that there ain't much for kids really.

The mall has a great water park by the way, great for the kids.

I am probably chiming in here on the late, but in case you are still looking for some advise, I can confirm that www.isaan.com is a good source. However, the owner just recently revamped the site and a lot of the links unfortunately are not back online yet. Koratfarang.com is therefore probably your best bet.

In terms of hotels, I could recommend the Sima Thani; it is on Mitthraphat and not too far away from The Mall. The Sima Thani has a pool (small), as does The Mall (big - 50 m Olympic size) plus a water park for the kids. The Mall is probably your best guess for food as well; they have all the Western style food places you would want. There are some Western food places in town, but I am not sure how far you know your way around in Korat. There is not much you can do with the kids; Lady Yamoo may be of interest which is the statue located on a very nice and big (rectangular) square in the center of town, close to Klang Plaza (a Thai style department store). Outside of Korat there is obviously the zoo (I agree with a previous poster - it is actually quite nice and stands up to quite a few zoos I have seen in the Western hemisphere) and the Petrified Wood Museum which you referred to. That could be a very interesting and educating visit (the Korat plateau is one of the few areas in the world where petrified wood - wood turned to stone over a long period of time - is still available in abundance) but I don't know how long the visit would capture your kids' attention. In terms of directions - the museum is located close to the zoo, but on the opposite (western) side of route 324. There are signs leading to it.

If you need any more info, then please let me know.

Thanks....still looking for info...especially re hotel as the one you mention only has a small pool, but my kids love their pool time.

That could be sacrifised at the hotel if we go to the water park instead I guess....is the hotel you mentioned nice ? or of the older thai style ?

Also where is the second 'water park' mentioned in an above post ??

Thanks....still looking for info...especially re hotel as the one you mention only has a small pool, but my kids love their pool time.

That could be sacrifised at the hotel if we go to the water park instead I guess....is the hotel you mentioned nice ? or of the older thai style ?

Also where is the second 'water park' mentioned in an above post ??

Sorry, but not really easy to come up with a good reference or tourist guide to Korat. As said before, www.isaan.com is probably your best bet. I just checked, and all of their links are now working again.

In terms of hotels, I still think your best off with the Sima Thani. It is a Western style hotel although a bit worn and tired by now. It and the Royal Dusit (which is probably the best hotel in Korat) are the prime destinations for foreigners, but the Dusit is on the other side of town. They have a small pool as well. I am assuming that you are travelling by car to Korat, so The Mall is just a stone's throw away from the Sima Thani where your kids can use the pool and water park and then go for some food at the restaurants there.

The other water park is inside the Korat zoo.

One more thing I just thought of: the Tourist Information Office of Korat is very close to the Sima Thani. After exiting the main entrance of the hotel, make a left and walk about 50 m into the direction of The Mall. The office is on the left hand side, same side as the hotel.

Ok thanks.

Just trying to stay away from the Mall.....go there every 3 months after 90 day report...

We stayed at the Korat Resort which is out of town somewhat....pool there is quite good....nothing special as just square pool, but big and deep.

What is the water park inside the zoo like as compared to the Mall one ??

Also as for food....not into the western fast food places in the Mall....so looking for something with decent food outside.

I can find my way around a bit...I know the moat area, the old town and that statue you mentioned in the centre road.

The water park at the zoo is a bit bigger than the one at the mall.

I have found that the water park at the zoo is subject to school trips and can have very large amounts of kids at any one time.

Both places are good for the kids though.

Why not have a day out and bring your own food, can have a picnic. Zoo in the morning and swimming before going back. The zoo does cover quite a large area.

For your info...the petrified wood museum comprises of three different museums.

1, petrified wood

2, ancient elephants

3, dinosaurs

So I'm sure your kids would enjoy visiting it.

It makes a really good day out to start at the museum and then go on to the zoo which is only a short distance away.

You say you stayed at the Korat Resort before....well that is just down the road from the zoo so it might be worth considering again.

HL :D