General Mail From The U.S.

wiscoman

Okay I know I should have just paid the extra money and sent this mail priority, but at the time I did not think it would take this long and now I need the important contents. I had a package of paperwork sent from the U.S. to my apartment in Bangkok and it has been 22 days and it is still not here. Should I be worried it is lost? How long in your experiences has general mail from the U.S. taken to reach Bangkok?

Have you had other items delivered successfully from the U.S. to your apartment?

Obviously check to see if it was returned to the sender. And maybe go to the serving (local) post office here to see if the have kept it as undeliverable. The motorbike delivery person might not know who you are or be familiar with your name/address. I always recommend a post office box at the nearest Thai post office, it just makes things simple. These used to be ~ 160 baht per year, but are now ~ 500 baht/year. It normally takes 7 - 10 days for airmail, to/fro, in my experience.

What do you mean by "general mail"?

Edited by lomatopo

Have you had other items delivered successfully from the U.S. to your apartment?

Obviously check to see if it was returned to the sender. And maybe go to the serving (local) post office here to see if the have kept it as undeliverable. The motorbike delivery person might not know who you are or be familiar with your name/address. I always recommend a post office box at the nearest Thai post office, it just makes things simple. These used to be ~ 160 baht per year, but are now ~ 500 baht/year. It normally takes 7 - 10 days for airmail, to/fro, in my experience.

What do you mean by "general mail"?

Well my mother had mailed a package to my apartment a month ago on USPS priority mail. Which was pretty expensive but it got here in one week and delivered to the office of my apartment complex where everything larger than a letter gets dropped off at (I check there everyday for my package). Then I had another package of paperwork sent 22 days ago, but not priority so it did not cost that much. So I do not know if it comes by air or boat. I knew it was going to take longer than sending it priority, but not this long.

My Post office box is B200 per year. just renewed it this month. Highly recommended, as mail from my Post office delivered to my village was dreadful. Bkk.To P.O.- 2 days. P.O. to village( distance 15 kilometres) 12-15 DAYS(sub-contractor). Enough said.

experienced a couple times ...

only a week and no more than 10 days. USPS is very efficient.

Don't you have its tracking no.?

Nope no tracking number. It was not sent first class or priority just normal mail.

Average time lately to Chiang Mai from the USA has been running about 14 days. Best time I have ever seen is 8 days. I'm waiting for a letter right now that was mailed 21 days ago so I am also hoping to get my mail.

21 to 22 days is about normal for regular mail from the US. One or two days from the states to BKK and from there another three weeks from BKK to Pattaya for example. This is my experience. Although some things like my BP monitor never arrived through regular mail from the states. It is a real crap shoot. Some folks have good luck, some do not even with simple addresses written in thai. That would be me...:annoyed:

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got it after 36 days in transit. Word of advise always use ems.

FYI, I've been using the USPS Global Priority Mail envelope, now $13.95, for 15++ years, only twice has it been held up, probably some dummy in the U.S. stuck it in a seamail box. Normally arrives to my POBox in 7-10 days. All you can stuff into the envelope, up to 4 pounds. Super for magazines, and the occasional small hard item.

http://www.usps.com/prices/priority-mail-international-prices.htm

Mac

• 2 weeks later...

Average time lately to Chiang Mai from the USA has been running about 14 days. Best time I have ever seen is 8 days. I'm waiting for a letter right now that was mailed 21 days ago so I am also hoping to get my mail.

Update: My mail never arrived so it was re-issued and appeared yesterday in 11 days. The address is in cursive English writing which I am pretty sure most non-English speaking countries would have a tough time reading. Make sure folks sending you mail print the address in block letters.