Health Care In The Uk

ThaiPauly

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I returned to australia last week after 12 weeks holiday in UK and europe, while staying in guildford I had a rather nasty attack of gout, went to the A and E at the hospital filled in an overseas visitors form, no bullshit fake UK address needed saw a doctor was treated and supplied with medication was in and out in an hour, thats pretty good service no matter where you come from

2. Wait for your NHS number to arrive by post.

TP will already have an NHS number, having two could confuse the issue.

All Mossfinn says is correct. From a personal point of view I can spot an expat a mile away just by the depth of their tan. Happily for you the managers seem to take much longer to notice.

Most frontline NHS staff won't give a hoot....but you will be waiting for treatment if you have a routine ailment. The longer you are in the system the more likely you will be found out.

No idea how they would get the cash back from you....more likely you would be refused further treatment instead. I've never heard of any trust actively pursuing a British expat....or even a Nigerian holidaying with his one remaining kidney in failure.

As said before you need a GP and an address....having not visited for a few years shouldn't be a problem as long as you have the same address. GP's love patients who never visit.

I returned to australia last week after 12 weeks holiday in UK and europe, while staying in guildford I had a rather nasty attack of gout, went to the A and E at the hospital filled in an overseas visitors form, no bullshit fake UK address needed saw a doctor was treated and supplied with medication was in and out in an hour, thats pretty good service no matter where you come from

Hey Nignoy,

Keep off the red wine :D

I believe and am open to correction here, but if you require A&E assistance you will be treated no matter your requirements and yes no matter the detractors, the NHS does a magnificent job.

I would suggest the main thing would be to not mention the being an expat, provided you have an address to use and a doctor to get a referral from then there is no need for them to know.

when seonai came back to UK with TB she registered with my doctor, was seen in a day, referred within a week & the recipient of benefits & medical care from that time onwards. she told them she was living overseas & all the gp seemed interested in was that she planned to stick around. she didn't need to prove it nor to promise not to become an expat once her treatment was finished. sadly of course she passed away 3 year years later but that was not to do with the care she received more the length of time she left in getting proper treatment :(

I don't think you will ever get a 100% accurate answer on this.

good luck though & I hope everything gets sorted.

From a personal point of view I can spot an expat a mile away just by the depth of their tan. Happily for you the managers seem to take much longer to notice.

You wouldn't spot me by my tan as I don't have one at all.

From a personal point of view I can spot an expat a mile away just by the depth of their tan. Happily for you the managers seem to take much longer to notice.

You wouldn't spot me by my tan as I don't have one at all.

Your liver function test will reveal the truth.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I am still registered with a Doctor's practice (well I never told them I was moving abroad), however there is a very strong possibility that several people have also registered there address at my property as there has been quite a few tennants that have passed through.

From what I can tell there is still no diffinitive answer, but from what most people have said it could be worth a try, my worry is that with waiting times in the region I come from being quite lengthy (please correct me if I am wrong Moss)that I would have to remain longer than 90 days to get treated effectively.

90 days is the length of time an ex-pat can remain in the country without being taxed on savings if the savings are held offshore, but again its a question of them finding out, I never receive an income tax form relating to anything else but my property, the taxman never asks me how many days I spent in England so I guess its worth a risk if my condition does not improve in the very near future.

As for this thread not being Thai related, well I have received a great deal of treatment from Thai hospitals, for which I have paid a great deal of money and they have failed to cure me, so I am just looking for alternatives as nobody in their right mind wants to throw good money after bad do they?

Thanks

TP

A friend of mine has just returned from a short spell in the UK where he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Because he was not resident in the UK he was told that he would be invoiced for the treatment he received, despite being fully paid up on his NI and he had spent his life serving Queen and country in the British army. He is now back in Thailand and there is no chance that the invoice will be paid.

However, he did say that he could not fault the expert treatment and that there was no waiting list nonsense whatsoever.

Surely the government can take payments from his pension?

Or when he is drawing his state pension if not already doing so.

He has terminal cancer - he is going to die!

The Citizens Advice Bureau have produced a helpful guide called "NHS charges for people from abroad", I'm assuming it's accurate.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/family_parent/health/nhs_charges_for_people_from_abroad.htm

Whilst it doesn't help 'Pauly' as he seems to be a youngster, this quote lifted from the CAB website might be of interest to us oldies.

Visitors who can receive NHS hospital treatment free of charge

- you normally live abroad, and are receiving a UK state pension, and have lived in the UK in the past for at least ten years

I am still registered with a Doctor's practice (well I never told them I was moving abroad), however there is a very strong possibility that several people have also registered there address at my property as there has been quite a few tennants that have passed through.

From what I can tell there is still no diffinitive answer, but from what most people have said it could be worth a try, my worry is that with waiting times in the region I come from being quite lengthy (please correct me if I am wrong Moss)that I would have to remain longer than 90 days to get treated effectively.

90 days is the length of time an ex-pat can remain in the country without being taxed on savings if the savings are held offshore, but again its a question of them finding out, I never receive an income tax form relating to anything else but my property, the taxman never asks me how many days I spent in England so I guess its worth a risk if my condition does not improve in the very near future.

As for this thread not being Thai related, well I have received a great deal of treatment from Thai hospitals, for which I have paid a great deal of money and they have failed to cure me, so I am just looking for alternatives as nobody in their right mind wants to throw good money after bad do they?

Thanks

TP

As for others registering with a Doctor from your UK address, if they ask, which I am sure they will not, just say that you rent out the top of your property and you live downstairs.

Regarding the tax situation with your offshore banking, yes, this maybe a problem, so you have to weigh up the pros and cons of paying a fortune for health care over here or having to be taxed on your savings.

I think it is worth considering that your health situation must be given priority above anything else.

Edited by Beetlejuice

The Citizens Advice Bureau have produced a helpful guide called "NHS charges for people from abroad", I'm assuming it's accurate.

http://www.advicegui...from_abroad.htm

Whilst it doesn't help 'Pauly' as he seems to be a youngster, this quote lifted from the CAB website might be of interest to us oldies.

Visitors who can receive NHS hospital treatment free of charge

- you normally live abroad, and are receiving a UK state pension, and have lived in the UK in the past for at least ten years

Spot on, good info. :thumbsup:

TP

In fact you can stay 183 days in any one year, but must average 91 days per year over a 4(?) year period.

TP

In fact you can stay 183 days in any one year, but must average 91 days per year over a 4(?) year period.

Thats interesting, I normally only spend a maximum of 30 days in any one year in the UK

What was your source for this valuable information?

Thanks

Thanks

TP

As for others registering with a Doctor from your UK address, if they ask, which I am sure they will not, just say that you rent out the top of your property and you live downstairs.

That would be great if I did not own an appartment...and everyone knows the place :(

The answer to your question about waiting times is already there in the thread. In England it is a maximum of 18 weeks for most conditions and one month for suspected cancer. You should be able to have a discussion with your GP about which of the local options available under NHS Choices you wish to use, which will generally include at least one (private) independent sector treatment centre or hospital doing (free) NHS treatments. Scotland has a similar 18 week RTT target and Wales has a 26 week RTT target. There will be minor variation from the targets in practice, but the idea of a 36 month wait is just a memory from the distant past. Hospitals that miss the targets are subject to a financial penalty.

It amazes me that most people would not know the right answer if it hit them over the head. I work in this field.

Edited by citizen33

Something else you should be aware of is that last year everybody on a doctors patient list was sent a letter to ask if they could put your information onto the national data base, (or whatever it is called). If you did not reply to this letter in a timely fashion, questions would be asked at the doctor's surgey where you are a patient. I know, because it happened to me. I just asked the doctor if he would like to pop down to my house for a cup of tea, to prove I was still resident in the UK.

Alan

Something else you should be aware of is that last year everybody on a doctors patient list was sent a letter to ask if they could put your information onto the national data base, (or whatever it is called). If you did not reply to this letter in a timely fashion, questions would be asked at the doctor's surgey where you are a patient. I know, because it happened to me. I just asked the doctor if he would like to pop down to my house for a cup of tea, to prove I was still resident in the UK.

Alan

:( Bugger....have to say it must have got lost in the post

The answer to your question about waiting times is already there in the thread. In England it is a maximum of 18 weeks for most conditions and one month for suspected cancer. You should be able to have a discussion with your GP about which of the local options available under NHS Choices you wish to use, which will generally include at least one (private) independent sector treatment centre or hospital doing (free) NHS treatments. Scotland has a similar 18 week RTT target and Wales has a 26 week RTT target. There will be minor variation from the targets in practice, but the idea of a 36 month wait is just a memory from the distant past. Hospitals that miss the targets are subject to a financial penalty.

It amazes me that most people would not know the right answer if it hit them over the head. I work in this field.

Its worth noting that the 18 week target was set under the previous government. During that term I was working 6 sometimes 7 days a week in order to help meet these targets.

These weekend waiting lists have disappeared and I haven't heard anyone mention an 18 week target in months now.

The answer to your question about waiting times is already there in the thread. In England it is a maximum of 18 weeks for most conditions and one month for suspected cancer.

I thought the suspected cancer waiting time was 2 weeks. That's what they told me when I had an incident of suspected cancer.

Alan

:( Bugger....have to say it must have got lost in the post

So did mine apparently and I live here.

TP

My accountant. You would need to confirm the period for averaging. I think it is 4 years, but I have never used it myself.

TP

My accountant. You would need to confirm the period for averaging. I think it is 4 years, but I have never used it myself.

Take care. I carelessly exposed myself to the reveners in HK through one nights' drinking too many, and although their demands are not as rapacious as their colleagues elsewhere, they are demanding nonetheless. They considered that 60 days in the country granted them claim over my earnings, though there were peculiarities to the case that might be best left mute

And I can say that the government hospital in question provided excellent service, and the chap at the NHS back home was most impressed, though surprisingly the tax and the hospital are actually parts of two different stories

SC

• 2 weeks later...

In today's UK Daily Mail they are reporting that, in future, even expats on UK pensions will have to pay for their own health care

Whilst I can understand the need to address the issue of foreign nationals exploiting the system, excluding UK pensioners may be the straw that breaks the camels back for some ex-pat pensioners and may not prove to be cost effective for the government.

The article says that the ex-pat pensioners will have paid NI and income tax for many years, in my case 44 years, but of course many pensioners still pay UK income tax, and for those it might prove to be a move too far.

It's quite feasible that some ex-pat pensioners might say enough is enough and return to UK, when they do they will get their pensions paid at the full rate as well as full access to all welfare benefits, will get free NHS health treatment, free medications, and lets not forget bus passes, all this will cost the government far more.

I think this is a very short sighted and ill thought out move, wasn't it the new government that were going to make pensions fairer for everybody?

Thanks

TP

ive been out of uk for 18months(in los)back home now went to doctors yesterday,for top up of tablets issued in thailand,told her i lived in thailand,but she insisted i come in for a check up,think she wants me to stay here lol,

In today's UK Daily Mail they are reporting that, in future, even expats on UK pensions will have to pay for their own health care

Whilst I can understand the need to address the issue of foreign nationals exploiting the system, excluding UK pensioners may be the straw that breaks the camels back for some ex-pat pensioners and may not prove to be cost effective for the government.

The article says that the ex-pat pensioners will have paid NI and income tax for many years, in my case 44 years, but of course many pensioners still pay UK income tax, and for those it might prove to be a move too far.

It's quite feasible that some ex-pat pensioners might say enough is enough and return to UK, when they do they will get their pensions paid at the full rate as well as full access to all welfare benefits, will get free NHS health treatment, free medications, and lets not forget bus passes, all this will cost the government far more.

I think this is a very short sighted and ill thought out move, wasn't it the new government that were going to make pensions fairer for everybody?

Can you imagine a United Kingdom full of whinging miserable old British blokes?

"I should be back home in Thailand, but I need to get me dentures sorted..."

"Where's the tarts? Do you know how much it costs for a short time round here? If it weren't for me bypass operation, I'd be on Soi bintabaht right now"

"What, no Chang? You can't even get a decent bottle of piss here, this tastes like beer!"

"Four quid for a packet of fags? I'm going to give up, just to spite the chancellor; and then whose going to die of pneumonia standing outside the pub, eh?"

Thank heavens for the bus passes, though. So we don't need to stand behind them while they fumble for change in the pockets of their overcoat and undercoat and top coat and primer.

I should enjoy a visit home, before they all repatriate.

SC