Two Paintings By Alain

Eyjafjallajokull

I bought couple of lovely paintings by a French artist name Alain about 10 years ago in Chiang Mai. Some old timers might remember him, he was a topic of discussion of nearly destitute and broke foreigners in CNX. My wife won't allow me to hang'em up due to the Buddhist theme. I would be most happy to let them go for little, as I would hate to throw them away. Any suggestions on 2nd hand dealings in art in CNX?

Thanks,

Eyjafjallajokull. :jap:

post-130722-0-14597600-1309005102_thumb.

post-130722-0-98347900-1309005146_thumb.

As your wife said, because of the Buddhist theme many people maybe reluctant to hang them in an ordinary household.

Have you considered donating them to a local Temple? If they did decide to hang them, at least these could then be shared for public diaplay.

There is a plethora of very good Thai artists who paint beautiful stuff like you have here in CM.

You would probably get a better price selling them on e-bay or if they are that valuable maybe at auction in your home country?

They are beauties all the same, but like wood carvings here the craftsmen are excellent but work for very little, in the west a craftsman could demand and likely get 10 times the price for a piece than he would here, which is why Baan Tawai is full of export companies and foreigners buying up stuff to sell in the west.

Good luck, as I said they are beautiful and I would gladly take them off your hands if I had any room on my walls, but unfortunatley I don't

I met him a couple of years ago and have one of his paintings too. You might think about giving them to a charity auction, there are a few I think run by farangs at different times. That way they'd get a new home and a charity would benefit. just a thought

Why would people have an issue because of the Buddhist theme?

I don't follow that one either.

They are a bit "non-traditional" and most Thais would only consider placing them in a Hong Phra.

If the OP would post their dimensions and the price he was looking for, it would be a good thing. I have some space in the house that would be appropriate.