Dual-citizenship And Military

I've been worrying about this with my friends already in the ROTC but none of them know about my situation. I'm 14 with Thai and american citizenships but will I have to enlist in one of the reserves or do any of the military orientation? Can it be paid off anymore?

I've been worrying about this with my friends already in the ROTC but none of them know about my situation. I'm 14 with Thai and american citizenships but will I have to enlist in one of the reserves or do any of the military orientation? Can it be paid off anymore?

Sorry not to answer your query but I have a parallel question.

I thought that,under USA law, that dual nationality was not permitted unlike many other countries?

If military draft sevice is a problem for you ROTC is always an option. The system used is a lottery and you pick a ball so you also have the luck of the draw. A third limiting factor is that they only draft enough to fill needs and sometimes that may be none in some places. I do not believe they still use a buddy serving your time system.

U.S. law does not forbid dual citizenship and hundreds of thousands have it.

If military draft sevice is a problem for you ROTC is always an option.  The system used is a lottery and you pick a ball so you also have the luck of the draw. 

The time to evaluate the possibility of “fixing” the draw will come when you get the summons for the draw. At that time, you or someone on your behalf will have to talk to the person in charge of that office. That is if you don’t go for the ROTC option.

The caveat to dual-citizenship for US citizens is listed officially in state department documents as the fact that your other country might compel you to do things that are contrary to US citizenship such as serving in a foreign military and you may not be able to claim the right to be treated as a US citizen when in the country of your other citizenship. These are some of the cases where duals are encouraged to renounce one of their citizenships at age 18 or whenever it becomes an issue. I suspect this might also be what others have heard about which makes them think it is illegal in the US?

Does anyone know how this military service issue is actually viewed in the case of say Thai/US dual citizens doing compulsory service? It seems there are a lot of Israel/US duals who have done service, but I am not surprised if there are special policies in that case given the history of foreign relations there... in the absence of a special exception, serving in a foreign military could be considered treasonous.

I actually have this issue sort of, and another friend has also had this issue. He ended up having to show up for the draft, and was not selected.

I also have several other friends in the same situation.

Yes, if there is registration of your birth certificate, you can expect to get a letter. If you claim that you are an American to avoid, they will record that against your name, and when you come to renew the passport, it may come up against you. Ditto for voting and other stuff (maybe). If you do not intend to live here you are fine.

If you are from BKK, the odds of you having to do it are now very low. They first of all take the ppl who want to do it (which tend to be provincial ppl) and after that your odds are fairly low anyway.

I am in no way suggesting you should, but certainly it is possible to broker payment to avoid doing duty (which is 2 years without a degree, 1 year with). You would probably be best to consider asking for an extension to finish your study (which they will normally accept) and then you theoretically go into the draft thereafter; however you can pay your way to ensure you get the right ball. Or you can pay off to say you did it when you didn't.

However, if you are planning a career with a profile, e.g. actor, MC, model, senior business man, politician, then bear in mind this dirt will be traceable the rest of your life. It may come back to haunt you. You may be blackmailed.

Therefore the best course is to consider whether you need to live here; if so then consider doing it - get a degree and go in the draw - you might even enjoy it and it is only a year if you have the degree. I'd say the odds would be quite low. I do not recommend the payment option:

- it is illegal

- you will have a papertrail that will be with you the rest of your life and someone like a prominent MP from the Thonburi area will be able to find that and hold it against you later on should you make something of yourself

- you will know that you cheated your country, and that feeling may get heavier later on

Best of luck with what you decide to do. However bear in mind they may have eliminated the draft by the time you have to do it.