Tan

bhatmasterson

I've been meaning to post this for a few weeks now but kept forgetting. I did a quick search to see if anyone had mentioned this and couldn't find anything.

TAN Thai Asian News/Network True Visions 78. I find about 70 to 80% of the content quite useful. It's much better than the other Thai news program with English over dubbing. Most of the presenters on TAN have really good skills and a couple are excellent.

It (TAN) has its useful moments, they shouldn't bother with their international news coverage though as the other news networks do it better.

Tales from a big city is a good concept, people sitting arond talking about whatever, but the farang guy with the buffalo turd on his head is just so obnoxious, he constantly interupts the women and is just so full of himself.

It (TAN) has its useful moments, they shouldn't bother with their international news coverage though as the other news networks do it better.

Tales from a big city is a good concept, people sitting arond talking about whatever, but the farang guy with the buffalo turd on his head is just so obnoxious, he constantly interupts the women and is just so full of himself.

I know what you mean about the guy with the hair thingy. I've not been able to sit through an entire show. I do find the coverage of Thai news to be very well done though.

It was very useful last year when the Reds rioted and the curfew was in effect. International news sources were fairly useless for keeping up on what was happening from moment to moment.

It might come in handy again very soon. :(

Actually, I was thinking the same thing and wishing I had discovered the TAN network back when all the conflict was so heated. Let's hope things don't go down hill again when the election period is over.

Good program just wish there was a schedule of up coming events or topics. Not listed in the magazine.

I agree with you about the guy. His jokes are really stupid and he can never read the write-in questions from viewers right. Gotta tone his act down or keep his mouth shut more.

Their website sucks. Can't post and no one seems to monitors it. Haven't figured out where to send in questions which would be a good tool for the show. To be able to get opinions from its audience.

Like all Thai based news, it is severely lacking. I'm sure many people will have heard about the hugely interesting development in analytic journalism last week, but they will have heard it not through any of the established Thai media. These treat it like it didn't happen. They are being censored or (worse) practising self censorship, forced by laws (and the current scope of enforcement by the powers-that-be) that curtail a free press.

I stopped bothering with Thai newspapers for this reason, because reading them, you don't know what you are not getting.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Some of the presentational skills are a bit stilted but the political and social discussion programs are much less so and are probably the only place most of us farang will find well-educated intelligent lively attractive non-bimbo Thai ladies.

Some of the presentational skills are a bit stilted but the political and social discussion programs are much less so and are probably the only place most of us farang will find well-educated intelligent lively attractive non-bimbo Thai ladies.

Facebook!!!

Like all Thai based news, it is severely lacking. I'm sure many people will have heard about the hugely interesting development in analytic journalism last week, but they will have heard it not through any of the established Thai media. These treat it like it didn't happen. They are being censored or (worse) practising self censorship, forced by laws (and the current scope of enforcement by the powers-that-be) that curtail a free press.

I stopped bothering with Thai newspapers for this reason, because reading them, you don't know what you are not getting.

Winnie that is so true. After visitng Singapore for 3 days and reading the papers there I learnt a whole lot about Thailand that I could never read here.

I have been watching TAN on and off since it started I find it very anti TRT/PTP and it seems that many 'english' speaking announcers could do with going back to english classes to learn how to speak better english,to me it seems that 'rich daddy'got them the job.There is one announcer who is on in the morning reading the news really makes my day,I would not pay her in rusty washers,she should be the first to go back to school.

Tan during the protests regularly had various reds in on their panels. I remember one womens rights leader factory unioniser especialy who just couldn't make sense of her own argument; they gave fair chance for a voice on both sides to b heard but the intelligent questions couldn't help but make one side look stupid.

The current laws prevent or try to prevent the radical calls to violence which were creating such a dangerous situation in the country. That red tv station for example was a total one-sided brainwashing tool and that lunatic (who I think is now dead) on cm red radio often called armed supporters in to town for one reason or another (for example to free their arrested comrades for beating the old man to death or the leader who carried the gun in to the airport and on the day of the protest breaking).

Such calls to violence are illegal in most western countries under anti terrorism laws and should rightly b so here too.

When digesting media you always have to be aware who's righting it ofcourse.

Singapore for example was a chief benificiary of thaksins policies to sell out Thailand for his own corrupt gains.

Aljazera had the most objective reporting from an international perspective. They got right in the thick of it, catch Indisputable pictures of reds with guns shooting at police and army, help expose the reds lies and prove the government were justified to use the tactics they did.

I totally agree with on TAN's ability to have all sides discuss the issues. The two lady's who host those talks are all well read and ask the right questions even if those questions were written by some one else.

Having the Internet and the ability to connect to some very objective reporting news outlets and getting live news reports as they occurred really made the difference for me during last years trouble. Being here also help. I saw first hand. The writing is on the wall (in this case on the Internet) and for people to deny the occurrences and happenings as they played out is absolute brainwashing, denial, and ignorance.

Being an outsider from the politics and not having any reason to take sides, it is very easy to see who caused the trouble but not always why. Many of us are in that position and when asked what did we see or who did what, it always very disturbing when you say this and that happened and then you're called a liar. Sometimes it doesn't take a PhD to figure it out, especially when you sit on the outside and see it happen in front of you without anyone telling you what happened. And maybe that's the problem. People are influenced by what a reporter says is happening as opposed to what is really happening. I think TAN tried its hardest to tell really what happened and leave the opinion out it. However, I might add they do have several programs where they do discuss their opinion.

Is that a fair assessment?

I watch the TAN news network every day to keep up to speed as to what is going on in Thailand. The "Tales from a Big City" show (hosted by the guy with the hair thingy) can be interesting at times. Each of the Thai women on that show speak remarkably good English and each have their own individual shows as well. I especially like the show that interviews expats who have started a business here in Thailand and asks them how they go about it.

The only negative thing about the network is the repetitive commercials plugging their own network and shows. It seems they play the same 5-minute segment every twenty minutes throughout the day and it drives me crazy to the point where I sometimes have to switch channels or close the TV (I've written to them about it but no response yet).

Although I find that TAN lacks depth to most of it's reporting, it is useful to listen to what they have to report, then watch or listen to other networks or publications, then I can formulate my own opinions.

I have been watching TAN on and off since it started I find it very anti TRT/PTP and it seems that many 'english' speaking announcers could do with going back to english classes to learn how to speak better english,to me it seems that 'rich daddy'got them the job.There is one announcer who is on in the morning reading the news really makes my day,I would not pay her in rusty washers,she should be the first to go back to school.

Having been in a position to observe English teaching / coaching of advanced English conversation, IELTS, TOEFL, and GMAT I can't agree with this statement. Many of the students I've observed were master degree holders who had studied English at university. There was even and a judge and a pediatric doctor who could not come close to the presenters on TAN. The presentation skills of most of the TAN presenters are as good as you are likely to encounter in the media in Thailand. However, I will admit that I've met Thai students attending a certain international school right here in Chiang Mai who have perfect pronunciation and could be headed for a career in English TV.

The fact that I can understand what is being said by the presenters at TAN is the main reason that I posted the subject. I find it quite a step forward that they actually went to the trouble to find presenters with near native skills. There just isn't much of a choice on TV here.

I always thought the newscasters spoke very good to excellent English. Some of them sound as if they were educated in the U.K.