Facebook Was Yesterday; Google+ Is Tomorrow

Puccini

Google+ Project: It’s Social, It’s Bold, It’s Fun, And It Looks Good — Now For The Hard Part

MG Siegler

Jun 28, 2011

Last night, you may have heard talk of a mysterious black bar appearing on the top of Google.com. Or you may have even seen it yourself. No, you weren’t hallucinating. It was a sign of something about to show itself. Something big. Google+.

Read more: techcrunch.com/2011/06/28/google-plus/

Edited by Puccini

Not more online "social networking"....please...

I found Facebook intrusive enough after a while.

"They" won't be happy until they know everything about you...

Be afraid....

Tin hat time!!! w00t.gif

More seriously, you might want to check that: http://www.dataliberation.org/

You will understand why many are actually interested by a social network that would be run more transparently than Facebook.

I'll eat my words if proven wrong but I really don't see Google winning any significant part of the social networking crowds over Facebook. All their previous shots at e.g. Twitter (with Buzz) have failed miserably. Plus it's just too late anyway. Like it or not (I don't have a Facebook account myself) Facebook has won and will remain the reference in the foreseeable future. It has even managed to kill well-established local variants like Orkut in Brazil. I don't know how well Hi5 survives in Asia...

I received my invitation to google+... but apparently they have some issues with it and all access are denied :(

They had to close the website because of the response they received, At the moment the invitations were sent out so they could test the systems and invitations will be sent out again shortly

Yeah well it was only a matter of time before facebook dies IMO.

All good things come to an end, google plus does look ad have much better features than facebook.

Facebook has so many bugs in it too, its not hard to hack peoples account or hard to see private profiles.

I wasn't interested as i have been happy with facebook. Now i have seen the videos on how google+ works I think i will be changing. It looks very nice and very well thought out.

Yeah Google+ looks extremely nice. Doesn't compare to their previous attempts at social.

Most serious threat to FB yet.

Of course Googles business model is to collect and sell information about its users. They are not to be trusted. Unless the new CEO goes back to the don't be evil mission statement....

Google+ looks good for the more discerning social networkers.

It's a media network, not a social network like facebook, facebook wants to know who you are, what you do - google wants to know what you want and what you are interested in! And one thing is for certain I don't want my "consumer profile out there"...

Edited by Samuian

The invite button has disappeared again. Maybe they're trying to limit the load or something.

Google+ official invite system back up

Read More [...]

Update: The system is fluctuating between online and offline, which is most likely a result of Google throttling invites. If you cannot invite people to Google+ right now, either try the bypass method listed above or wait until the system is back again.

I've finally dropped facebook altogether. Google+ is much easier to control for me and the circles are brilliant. Invites are open again so PM me if you want one.

Nidge.

The google + app is now available in the itunes store I have just downloaded it but my phone will not put the photos in the box marked From your Phone any one having the same problem or solution

My phone is an iphone 4.

Edited by saintofsilence

The google + app is now available in the itunes store I have just downloaded it but my phone will not put the photos in the box marked From your Phone any one having the same problem or solution

My phone is an iphone 4.

You are obviously not shopping in the Thai app store.

post-48222-0-31923200-1311154902_thumb.j

I also noticed google earth for the iPhone is not available in Thailand either. Anyone know if either are on their way?

My phone is an iphone 4.

I also noticed google earth for the iPhone is not available in Thailand either. Anyone know if either are on their way?

I purchased the app from another store but I am here thailand .

I am no techie but I fail to see what this offers? Circles, wow I can share video with my friends via skype, email etc now. Anything else this will offer besides a bunch of 3rd party ads like fb? Google earth? Maybe used that once in my life-by accident.

I really can't see myself using this and facebook to be honest. Fb is messy but with 10 million users in th, it will be an uphill battle for google.

No doubt a few early adopters will join it as anti-fb thing but I don't see it catching on in the thai mainstream unless they can do something amazingly different (and useful) that fb, linkedin, skype and others don't already offer.

They should stick to google docs, gmail which they are clearly good at.

My phone is an iphone 4.

Just change to the US store?!

Since Google+ is free, you could get it using any new free US based .me account....

As for Google+, yeah certainly looks better than Facebook at the moment, which is no mean feat. It's easy, and fun, and cool to sort people you know in circles, and also cool that it's asymmetric, though I have to say it's not very intuitive.

If Google+ was offered by anyone but Google, I'd say no way this is going to gain traction. But Google is a different beast, as every single internet user is using Google for search, and if it gets promoted there, they will very easily shoot past 100M users within a few months. At the moment, Google is not promoting G+ on their web properties - once they start doing that... Facebook must be scared shitless, and I imagine they're feverishly working on a circles-like feature.

This could be Netscape vs IE all over again, only at 100 times the scale. Those of us old enough to remember - Netscape was once the undisputed king of browsers, mostly by virtue of not sucking too much. Netscape defined some early internet standards simply by adding them to the browser. But then came IE - hard to imagine now but at that time IE was technically way better than Netscape, and it had Microsoft's marketing muscle behind it. It wiped out Netscape within a year or so as it was installed on every Windows system by default.

Google+ could see a similar effect if it's advertised on every single Google web property, most importantly Google search.

I think they have a pretty good chance there.

My phone is an iphone 4.

Just change to the US store?!

Since Google+ is free, you could get it using any new free US based .me account....

I wish i could do that. When i change stores i can't buy anything, even software that is free. A couple of months ago i was able to but Apple must have changed something in the app store to prevent that happening.

bkkjames, so you don't like google earth, there are plenty that do. It's probably one of my most used pieces of software after my web browser. when linked to a gps it's a very powerful tool. All of my bike rides, runs and hikes are stored like a visual database. For me that is awesome especially as it's all free,