Pheu Thai: Thailand To Overcome Poverty By 2020

webfact

9 years! Last time I heard such unbeleivable goals was when 'someone' said, we will have a man on the moon in 9 years - and look how that ended up - erm....

Man on the moon much easier than overcoming poverty.

True, but it can be argiued that LBJ's initiative improved the lives of millions and also prevented the gap between rich and poor from creating an unbreachable rift. keep in mind the era in which LBJ attempted to change the focus of a nation from one of war and racial conflict to one of trying to make the nation a better place. I don't think leaders should be ridficuled for trying to improve the quality of life for people.

That's hilarious because the gap between rich and poor in the US has grown MUCH LARGER between the 60's and now. I am not mocking LBJ, he actually didn't promise all that much compared to Yingluck. A house owned for every Thai? That isn't even a desirable goal (if you don't get that, think a moment on that), much less realistic, the people are being LIED TO shamelessly. Not just lied to, that's normal ... SHAMELESSLY.

Sadder still, the people believe the lies.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 years! Last time I heard such unbeleivable goals was when 'someone' said, we will have a man on the moon in 9 years - and look how that ended up - erm....

Man on the moon much easier than overcoming poverty.

True, but it can be argiued that LBJ's initiative improved the lives of millions and also prevented the gap between rich and poor from creating an unbreachable rift. keep in mind the era in which LBJ attempted to change the focus of a nation from one of war and racial conflict to one of trying to make the nation a better place. I don't think leaders should be ridficuled for trying to improve the quality of life for people.

That's hilarious because the gap between rich and poor in the US has grown MUCH LARGER between the 60's and now. I am not mocking LBJ, he actually didn't promise all that much compared to Yingluck. A house owned for every Thai? That isn't even a desirable goal (if you don't get that, think a moment on that), much less realistic, the people are being LIED TO shamelessly. Not just lied to, that's normal ... SHAMELESSLY.

Sadder still, Thai people believe the lies.

May be an amazing dream but quite a lot of it is probably achievable.

Personally I hope some of these targets can be reached because it can only make Thailand better and stronger.

Interesting that the very same people mocking this were previously criticising Yingluck et al for lack of aims, targets, experience , vision etc etc.....

Thailand would be a much improved country if any of the stated targets could be achieved.

Any long term visions or statements of intent ( however improbably achievable ) from the ruling powers ????

Thought not.

And I promise that I'll be the first man to land on Mars next year...... do you believe me?

According to the criminal fugitive former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra (possibly soon to be the former criminal fugitive Prime Minister), solving the poverty problem (and I quote) "will be easy".

But I believe the timescale he nominated is well overdue already...

Personally I hope some of these targets can be reached because it can only make Thailand better and stronger.

Interesting that the very same people mocking this were previously criticising Yingluck et al for lack of aims, targets, experience , vision etc etc.....

Thailand would be a much improved country if any of the stated targets could be achieved.

Any long term visions or statements of intent ( however improbably achievable ) from the ruling powers ????

Thought not.

And I promise that I'll be the first man to land on Mars next year...... do you believe me?

Ken Dodd was done for tax evasion, right ??

I sincerely hope you are the first to land on Mars.........

Thought not.

Give me a thousand bht and I will :lol:

Old Ken never declared the income of his jam butty mines,:lol:

Thought not.

Old Ken never declared the income of his jam butty mines,:lol:

Thought not.

Soon they will promise that everyone will have their personal butler and enough money to never have to work again...

By everyone they will ofcourse mean 'in the Shinawatra family' but the election-posters will omit this.

'webfact' timestamp='1309475794' post='4524484'

"I present Vision 2020 with the hope of helping my fellow Thais to form a decision ahead of election day," Yingluck wrote.

It's an old phrase, but "coke bottle glasses" seems appropriate for Yingluck's Vision 20/20...

Would you please be so kind as to state what the Democrats vision is/was?

Thank you.

Does not publishing some absurd wish list of pipe dreams of fantastic proportions somehow make them inferior to a Party stupid enough to do so?

Is misleading the population with nonsense somehow desirable?

The Dems ....

Increasing social welfare programs, gradually and over time. (PTP promise anything to win)

Increase the tax base by taxing un-utilized land. (PTP promise anything to win)

Reduce corporate taxes some (PTP promise anything to win)

Provide a social welfare net including social security to informal workers such as taxi drivers etc. (PTP credit cards-- promise anything to win)

Provide a fair price for crops (PTP promise anything to win and make sure that the middleman gets the money not the farmers!)

Provide treatment education to addicts and increased border security to deal with drugs. (PTP a new war on drugs and Thailand to be drug free in 3,6,9, months)

Provide continued economic leadership. (Thaksin says everyone will be rich in 6 months -- nobody has to pay back any money! PTP anything to win)

Basically the Dems are promising fiscally sound policies and PTP is promising bankruptcy for the Kingdom .....

Not too hard to follow!

Sad to say this is reality and not rhetoric,

based on public statements of both main parties.

They left off how they will do all this with no inflation too :lol:

Only because T.S. haven't quite figured out how to explain it yet.

Pheu Thai is probably aware that many of their supporters do not understand inflation or would account for it when they hear these promised minimum wage values for 9 years into the future, which is why they think it's going to improve their campaign. The reality is that 1000 THB may not actually buy much in 9 years compared to today; you'd have to come up with an inflation-adjusted value of the 1000 THB to see how much more it is compared to the minimum daily wage today.

I doubt that Pheu Thai actually did any quantitative analysis at all to come up with the value of 1000 THB minimum daily wage in 9 years. It's not a simple task to try to come up with a feasible minimum wage value for 9 years into the future, as there are many variables to consider. But since they see their audience as just a bunch of simpletons, they don't feel the need to do the in-depth mathematical work (does anyone in Pheu Thai actually know econometrics?) and instead just pluck numbers that would sound good to the people out of thin air.

Edited by hyperdimension

(does anyone in Pheu Thai actually know econometrics?)

There's one who should know, but his track record is a bit dubious I think.

2011-05-23

"Bottom-up income distribution is the ultimate goal behind Pheu Thai Party's proposed farmer credit card scheme and related policies for farmers, said its chief economic strategist Olarn Chaipravat.

"Economists' general aim economic growth, but Pheu Thai's stragy will push growth from the bottom. We'll create opportunities, jobs and income of the grassroots people," he said in an interview to Krungthep Turakij. "If they can sell rice at Bt15,000 per tonne or earn Bt300 per day, they can afford spending. The economic growth will be fairly distributed.""

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/05/23/business/Pheu-Thai-proposes-new-income-distribution-method-30155993.html

This was before the rice price was upped to 20,000. I like this part in the article

""City dwellers may ask if the rice price would then climb up? From data, we produce 30 million tonnes of paddy rice per year, or 20 million tonnes of polished rice. Thais consume 10 million tonnes and the rest is exported. We will have a mechanism in place to ensure that domestic price is not too expensive while exports are carried out in a thorough way," he said."

You can believe me on my clear blue eyes, 'domestic price is not too expensive' <_<