O-A Multiple Vs. Single Entry

Have read recently some posts that persons who get a Multiple Entry Retirement O-A Visa can stay up to Two Years by Exiting Thailand and Re-Entering before the Expiration of the Visa.

In essence getting an Additional Year's Stay based on that last Entry before the Visa has expired.

Any time I have ever left and re-entered Thailand (on a singe Entry Retirement O-A with a Re-entry Permit) I have only been stamped valid until the end of my Visa. Not for an additional year.

Why would this be any different for a Multiple Entry Vs a Single Entry.

Confused how this can be true ???

You have not been permitted to stay till the end of your visa with a re-entry permit. you have been allowed to stay till the end of your orignal permission to stay you got when you first entered Thailand.

A visa is a permisison to travel to Thailand. Upon entry you get a permission to stay. A multiple entry visa means that you can travel to Thailand an unlimted number of times, as long as the visa is valid. Each time you get a new permission to stay.

Since a multiple O-A visa is valid for 1 year you can use it for 1 year to travel to Thailand. Each entry gives you a permisison to stay for 1 year. So leave Thailand just before the visa expires and return and you get a new 1 year permission to stay. (After the visa is no longer valid you would need a re-entry permit to leave Thailand and keep your permisison to stay for 1 year).

A OA which is only available in your home country is granted for a period of one year, at the end of one year fly out/cross the border and return this is all you have too do for a one extension based upon retirement Please be carefull after getting the extension you must get another enter/ex. permit or when you return after any further trips you will only be stamped in for visa on arrival. The OA is very easy to get and if you do not know the system in Thailand will give you the chance to settle in and learn the immg. system.

A OA which is only available in your home country is granted for a period of one year, at the end of one year fly out/cross the border and return this is all you have too do for a one extension based upon retirement Please be carefull after getting the extension you must get another enter/ex. permit or when you return after any further trips you will only be stamped in for visa on arrival. The OA is very easy to get and if you do not know the system in Thailand will give you the chance to settle in and learn the immg. system.

I have been here quite a while, but this is a confusing point, so I ask the question.

My point is that I have previously gotten a re-entry permit, flew out of Thailand, and re-entered prior to the original one year of stay expiring.

I was only stamped in to stay until the same as my original entry one year date. Not an additional year.

Last time I did this was nearly 4 years ago. So things may have changed, but the visa issued was a Single Entry, and I got a re-entry permit.

So is this any different than a Multiple Entry in getting a One year stamp of extension of stay on arrrival ?

It is not clear if the multiple or single with a re-entry permit have the same rules.

Edited spelling.

Edited by KimoMax

I have been here quite a while, but this is a confusing point, so I ask the question.

My point is that I have previously gotten a re-entry permit, flew out of Thailand, and re-entered prior to the original one year of stay expiring.

I was only stamped in to stay until the same as my original entry one year date. Not an additional year.

Last time I did this was nearly 4 years ago. So things may have changed, but the visa issued was a Single Entry, and I got a re-entry permit.

So is this any different than a Multiple Entry in getting a One year stamp of extension of stay on arrrival ?

It is not clear if the multiple or single with a re-entry permit have the same rules.

Edited spelling.

You can't make your point until you list exactly what type of " O " Visa you had. The correct information was given by Mario2008 and is based upon issuance of a Multiple Entry O-A (long stay) Visa issued in your home country. The rules are different for different types of visas

My origninal post states : Retirement O-A Visa issued from the US consulate in Los Angeles USA and was good for One year from date of arrival.

Read and understand before questioning me .........

It is all in the OP.

What is not clear, is how this single entry O-A could be costrued as differant from a Multiple entry O-A and how I did not get an additional year on my arrival by air with a re-entry permit prior to the expiration fo the approrval to stay. Did Immigraion simply make a mistake, or are Mutltiple and Single Entries treated differntly ?

I am not into playing word games of types of Visa's or extensions or stamps. We all know and understand the question without the games of words or terminology.

We all know what I mean whether I say a visa or an extension. The rest is nitpicking on terminology and uncalled for.

Is ther a differnece in arriving with a re-entry permit on a single entry (or extension singe entry) lets not confuse it all by superfulous terminology) versus a mutlitiple entry O-A or an extension of stay.

All that is all I am asking: Is there a difference on arrival terms of how long one can stay on a multiple or a single enty with a re-entry permit.

Pretty simple question. No need to compicate and make anwers and my question difficult.

Edited for spelling and grammar

Edited by KimoMax

A single entry visa is exactly that - one entry for one year permitted to stay.

A multi entry visa allows unlimited entry for one year permitted to stay for the one year it is valid.

An entry the day before it expires would get a new one year stay.

So if first entry soon after issue and a new entry just before expiration almost two year could be obtained.

A re-entry permit is not used with a multi entry so a new one year stay is issued on each entry when using the visa itself.

Only during the second year (after visa expires) would a re-entry permit be required (as required for any entry from a single O-A visa) to keep current stay alive.

So to sumerize:

A Single Entry O-A Retirement even with a re-entry permit can not be extended by another year with another arrival.

A Extension then must be obtained at Immigration at the end of that Visa or permission of stay.

A Multiple Entry O-A Retirement Can be extended for another year on a new Arrival.

After the first year expires, a Re-Entry permit must be obtained if leaving the country and returning.

Thank you for clarifying the difference Lopburi3

Edited by KimoMax