Directions To Wat Mae Taeng

connda

Does anyone know where Wat Mae Taeng is. I've been told it's approximately 40km north of Chiang Mai. I'm trying to find the location of the Wat once I get in that area.

Direction using roads would be cool. A Google Placemark to the Wat would be perfect.

Thanks!

Head North through Mae-Rim & Mae-Tang, then a well-marked right-turn about 2-3 km after Mae-Tang, this is the road which goes all the way to the big dam, where there are also some OK restaurants at the Western-end of the dam.

From the turn-off, after about 3 km, you come down a long gentle slope, to reach the Wat turn left shortly after reaching the bottom of the hill. The narrow country road runs about 2 km alongside an irrigation-channel, you then see the buildings of the Wat on the left, on top of a slight rise.

It is a really-beautiful set of buildings, and well worth visiting, good views across the plain towards the dam & mountains ! B)

Head North through Mae-Rim & Mae-Tang, then a well-marked right-turn about 2-3 km after Mae-Tang, this is the road which goes all the way to the big dam, where there are also some OK restaurants at the Western-end of the dam.

From the turn-off, after about 3 km, you come down a long gentle slope, to reach the Wat turn left shortly after reaching the bottom of the hill. The narrow country road runs about 2 km alongside an irrigation-channel, you then see the buildings of the Wat on the left, on top of a slight rise.

It is a really-beautiful set of buildings, and well worth visiting, good views across the plain towards the dam & mountains ! B)

Also of note, this is a wonderful cycling area with Ban Den (sp) Wat as a highlight on the way. A longer loop connects you to the 1001 south bound, where you can turn right on the narrow canal road and head north to the Mae Taeng agricultural dam_n. You can cross the river carrying you bike, and follow the quiet roads north back to the Wat. Not that we keep track of milaege, but this about 50-55 kms (guessing), of mostly flat terrain but for the gentle hills of the 1001. Otherwise short rides along the canals and dam_n make for shorter trips - we ride this area often.

Edited by Fishenough

I've only just seen this topic, very good and clear directions 'Ricardo' nice one!

If I may offer a little correction; the small town you are referring to as Mae Taeng is in fact the town of Mae Malai. Ampere Mae Taeng is further on, about 1 Km

short of the "well-marked right-turn" you mention and yes, well worth a visit.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but, I'm crap at Thai names and locations…….But, for once I actually know this area…..a little. Cheers

Edited by Tonto21

Well, you guys sure have me confused. :unsure: The OP is asking about Wat Mae Taeng. All the directions seem to be to Wat Ban Den and around the Mae Ngat Dam. Although the area you guys are describing is quite nice, that is not the Wat named "Mae Taeng".

Wat Mae Taeng is actually WEST of highway 107, near Mae Taeng, not Mai Malai and is at N19 07.619 E98 56.307.

post-3361-0-75988700-1309530148_thumb.jp

I hope it helps. :jap:

Hi 'silverhawk' "I hope it helps" ha ha, Git! (Only joking mate)

OK, let's look at this; I may be jumping the gun here, but in the absence of the OP, I think the following; The OP has been told of a nice Wat in Mae Taeng, (but no Wat name) so, has asked for a Wat Mae Taeng, 'Ricardo' and myself believed, (I still do) the OP is after the Wat 'Ricardo' gave direction too. Why? Because 'Wat Mae Taeng' is not a patch on……The one near the Dam. OK, this is not Wat MaeTaeng, but trust me; I know both Wat's from the ground, (but not there names) and the OP will be disappointed if he turns up at Wat Mae Taeng!

I mentioned Mae Malai, (the town built around the 'T' junction to Pai) as many think this is Mae Taeng, You have to go through Mae Malai, (on the 107) to get to Mae Taeng village.

Having said all this……….I bet it's as clear as mud to the OP now………Well done lads, a job well done, Poor old OP is more confused than when he started. :ermm: lol.

'connda' if you think you'll have a problem finding, whatever Wat it is, PM me, I'll show you where it is.

Edited by Tonto21

If I may offer a little correction; the small town you are referring to as Mae Taeng is in fact the town of Mae Malai. Ampere Mae Taeng is further on, about 1 Km

short of the[/size] "well-marked right-turn" you mention and yes, well worth a visit.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but, I'm crap at Thai names and locations…….But, for once I actually know this area…..a little. Cheers

Many thanks for the helpful correction. :jap:

OK, let's look at this; I may be jumping the gun here, but in the absence of the OP, I think the following; The OP has been told of a nice Wat in Mae Taeng, (but no Wat name) so, has asked for a Wat Mae Taeng, 'Ricardo' and myself believed, (I still do) the OP is after the Wat 'Ricardo' gave direction too. Why? Because 'Wat Mae Taeng' is not a patch on……The one near the Dam. OK, this is not Wat MaeTaeng, but trust me; I know both Wat's from the ground, (but not there names) and the OP will be disappointed if he turns up at Wat Mae Taeng!

I mentioned Mae Malai, (the town built around the 'T' junction to Pai) as many think this is Mae Taeng, You have to go through Mae Malai, (on the 107) to get to Mae Taeng village.

Having said all this……….I bet it's as clear as mud to the OP now………Well done lads, a job well done, Poor old OP is more confused than when he started. :ermm: lol.

'connda' if you think you'll have a problem finding, whatever Wat it is, PM me, I'll show you where it is.

You are most likely correct due to your "local knowledge". But then again, I like to be accurate and not assume something; he asked about Wat Mae Taeng and only he knows why . Without the OP commenting again, it is hard to say. If nothing else, he now certainly has a choice of Wat's to visit. BTW what is 'GIT' ? :blink:

You are most likely correct due to your "local knowledge". But then again, I like to be accurate and not assume something; he asked about Wat Mae Taeng and only he knows why . Without the OP commenting again, it is hard to say. If nothing else, he now certainly has a choice of Wat's to visit. BTW what is 'GIT' ? :blink:

The word 'Git'

It is an insult but not harsh one ... usually said in jest. It's a slang word but not a hugely offensive term. It is used widely in Britain. It's aimed at males, it is a harmless word compared to other slang words. It's not quite a swear word, and can be offensive, but is also said jokingly.

Tonto

Edited by Tonto21

The word 'Git'

It is an insult but not harsh one ... usually said in jest. It's a slang word but not a hugely offensive term. It is used widely in Britain. It's aimed at males, it is a harmless word compared to other slang words. It's not quite a swear word, and can be offensive, but is also said jokingly.

Tonto

Thanks for the 'translation'. I have been called worse......:lol:

Well, you guys sure have me confused. :unsure: The OP is asking about Wat Mae Taeng. All the directions seem to be to Wat Ban Den and around the Mae Ngat Dam. Although the area you guys are describing is quite nice, that is not the Wat named "Mae Taeng".

Wat Mae Taeng is actually WEST of highway 107, near Mae Taeng, not Mai Malai and is at N19 07.619 E98 56.307.

post-3361-0-75988700-1309530148_thumb.jp

I hope it helps. :jap:

I go by there often and yes I agree with you. But both or worth a look