One Way Tickets

Noddy1

I have a friend wanting to move to Cambodia for a extended stay ( Permanent )

I have contacted a travel agent in Cambodia to book a ticket for him from the US to Bangkok .

They tell me I can book a one way ticket , I just need to know is this acceptable with the US immigration

and Thai immigration ?

Not so much of an immigration problem per se, but the airline may not let him board the plane, as if they do let him on and Thailand refuses him entry cost would on them to repatriate him back to the US.

Simplist way is to buy a full price open return ticket and once reaching the destination, cancle the return leg and get a refund

Not so much of an immigration problem per se, but the airline may not let him board the plane, as if they do let him on and Thailand refuses him entry cost would on them to repatriate him back to the US.

Simplist way is to buy a full price open return ticket and once reaching the destination, cancle the return leg and get a refund

Agree, but as the OP's friend intends living in Cambodia, then surely an onward ticket to Cambodia should suffice, with the relevant Cambodian visa of course.

Agree, but as the OP's friend intends living in Cambodia, then surely an onward ticket to Cambodia should suffice, with the relevant Cambodian visa of course.

This would work as well of course, I asumed here that the OP friend would land in BKK and get over the border via land crossing, but if he has a ticket for Cambodia, he would mearly be in transit in BKK.....but of course the question would be would they let him on a one way flight to Cambodia, the same rational applies

.....but of course the question would be would they let him on a one way flight to Cambodia, the same rational applies

Indeed, which is why I said:

an onward ticket to Cambodia should suffice, with the relevant Cambodian visa of course.

If he gets an appropriate Tourist VIsa for Thailand before travelling, not just the visa exempt entry thats free when arriving, he can please himself what he does and no one can say anything, US or Thai side including the airlines.

The onward travel etc is only relevant to a "visa exempt" entry.

(as I understand it)

Edited by CharlieH

1. Why in the world are you attempting to use a travel agent in Cambodia to book a ticket from the US to Bangkok?

2. Why is he flying to Bangkok if he is moving to Cambodia? Eva air, among others, fly to Phnom Penh from the US without going through Bangkok. There are no visa hassles or onward ticket hassles for Cambodia. He can get a business visa at the Phnom Penh airport and extend it for a year the next day. He can then visit Thailand as often as he wants.

It just seems to me that you are making this so much harder than it needs to be.

1 / I am in Cambodia

2/ I will be driving to Bangkok , pick him up at the airport , drive back to Cambodia

via Pattaya for some R & R couldnt be easier :whistling:

1. Why in the world are you attempting to use a travel agent in Cambodia to book a ticket from the US to Bangkok?

2. Why is he flying to Bangkok if he is moving to Cambodia? Eva air, among others, fly to Phnom Penh from the US without going through Bangkok. There are no visa hassles or onward ticket hassles for Cambodia. He can get a business visa at the Phnom Penh airport and extend it for a year the next day. He can then visit Thailand as often as he wants.

It just seems to me that you are making this so much harder than it needs to be.

1 / I am in Cambodia

2/ I will be driving to Bangkok , pick him up at the airport , drive back to Cambodia

In this case to sure he can board the plane in the US, he needs either a tourist visa for Thailand (not a visa waiver) or a full price return ticket for Thailand, then cancel and get a refund on the return leg...doing it any other way he runs the risk of not being allowed on the flight from the US

1 / I am in Cambodia

In this case to sure he can board the plane in the US, he needs either a tourist visa for Thailand (not a visa waiver) or a full price return ticket for Thailand, then cancel and get a refund on the return leg...doing it any other way he runs the risk of not being allowed on the flight from the US

Hmmm....not sure he can get a refund on 1/2 of his ticket. Unless he buys a full fare, which will be quite expensive. Right? I think the tourist visa in advance is best...

I can confirm the above. I have done it.

get the single entry tourist visa for Thailand and that will satisfy the airlines..

The drive to Cambodia, apply for the business visa, ($25 vs $20 for tourists visa) which can then be extended a year at a time for between $265-280 depending on which travel agent u use

I know both UA and DL (nee NW) check the visa/stay situation carefully ex-USA, and IDB pax. Even in my case, Non-Imm B, I've had UA, LH and TG all push back on itineraries, returning to Thailand (BKK-USA-BKK), and I've had to show onward travel plans within 90 days (BKK-USA, in my case). Many people simply purchase a fully refundable, full fare (Y) ticket for BKK-SIN or KUL-BKK (for example), and then cancel that ticket as their plans change.

Edited by lomatopo