Thai Driving License Valid In All Asean Countries?

Just out of curiosity. I have the new Thai driving license valid for 5 years for cars and for motorbikes. I am quite sure that it is valid in all Asean countries. Lately I read that in Cambodia the police refused to accept Thai driving licenses hold by foreigners. What about other countries like Laos or Malaysia? Who knows more?

A western international permit is good to have but there is always additional requirements and it is your responsibility to ensure that you have the correct travel documents.

With the trouble over the Temple territory on the Thai boarder it is not difficult to understand why they would not except a Thai driving license, maybe you have to find out whether you can get into Cambodia at the moment from Thailand.

From various sites what ever Asian country you are going into you may need extra insurance or pay for a temporary license.

Laos and Malaysia have requirements too but can usually be done at the boarder.

A Cambodian driver's license is required to drive in Cambodia, including for the use of motorcycles. Holders of International Driving Permits can apply for one at a cost of US $25. Some local travel agencies can arrange a license for an additional administrative fee. Driving without a license may invalidate your travel insurance in the event of an accident. Check with the rental company what insurance is included in the hire. Drivers not in possession of a valid Cambodian driver's license have had motorcycles impounded with the police imposing a hefty charge for release. Do not use your passport as security for motorcycle rental.

Edited by Kwasaki

A 5 year TH DL shold be supported by an International driving permit, issued by DLT. Accepted in every country in the world, except your homecountry/passport issuer

So you mean one cannot drive in the country of one's nationality but everywhere else is ok? Surely not? What if they cannot get a DL from the home country of origin since they have no local address there anymore?

A 5 year TH DL shold be supported by an International driving permit, issued by DLT. Accepted in every country in the world, except your homecountry/passport issuer

So you mean one cannot drive in the country of one's nationality but everywhere else is ok? Surely not? What if they cannot get a DL from the home country of origin since they have no local address there anymore?

cant comment on every countrys rules, recomend to check with your Embassy

No problems atall, you can use your Thai license to hire a vehicle in the UK, your new 5 year license will also be in english, 2 times now i have used my thai DL to hire a car, i also have my expired UK DL as back-up if needed, but never been asked, but i do take along a family [uK] member as a garantor and for an adress of where we will be staying, with their ID, eg, DL, Passport ect..

personally, i reckon the Thai DL is better than UK DL, thai DL has your passport number on it and can be traced anywhere in the world,

Lickey.

No problems atall, you can use your Thai license to hire a vehicle in the UK, your new 5 year license will also be in english, 2 times now i have used my thai DL to hire a car, i also have my expired UK DL as back-up if needed, but never been asked, but i do take along a family [uK] member as a garantor and for an adress of where we will be staying, with their ID, eg, DL, Passport ect..

personally, i reckon the Thai DL is better than UK DL, thai DL has your passport number on it and can be traced anywhere in the world,

Lickey.

Sounds more reasonable.

My 5yr Thai DL only has ENGLISH on front, and the my address in Thailand is in THAI on back. Presumably I also need a Thai International Drivers Permit to accompany it when driving in UK, as a UK national with an expired and non renewable UK DL and no guarantor in the UK?

The OP never said where he was from.

I can't be boshed to go on the DVLA UK site again but if you look I seem to remember that you can drive on a Thai car driving license for up to 1 year, I don't think bike licenses are aceptable but a car driving license at one time would let you ride a 50cc motorbike with ' Learner plates '.

IDP is definitely not accepted in China.

I learned that when I got my license in China. Also in the AAA in the US I had to get a seperate permit to drive in some South American countries.

Edited by pampal

Vietnam and Cambodia have always been a bit iffy when it comes to recognizing overseas licenses and Vietnam in particular does not officially recognize any foreign license (although it's confusing as to whether Lao or Cambodian driver's licenses are accepted, since how else would a driver from those two neighboring countries legally drive into Vietnam using their own vehicles?)

In Cambodia, anybody can apply for a Cambodian license, a tourist visa is fine. First license is only issued for 1 year and I got it through my hotel for $95 (a bit pricey, but much easier than handling the bureaucracy myself) and then another $90 "fast processing fee" on top of that so I could get it in a few days. Maybe I should have bargained more (I tried but it didn't work) but I didn't have much time in Cambodia so I went along with it. I only needed three passport photographs plus my original US license. I did not have to fill in any forms or step outside of my hotel to get it done. The entire process was handled through my hotel.

Malaysia, Laos and Singapore all accept Thai driver's licenses no problems. In China you'll need a local license, although driving a foreign registered vehicle on Chinese territory near a neighboring country apparently only requires an international license, provided you remain within the border zone and the car presumably has to be registered in that neighboring country (for example, you may drive a Lao car in Sipsongbanna but not further than this without the usual hassles including getting a Chinese driver's license, possibly a guide, registration etc.) Don't know about Brunei or Indonesia, but I'd say just a Thai license should be fine BUT do check to make sure.

Otherwise, need to get an international driver's license.