What Will Happen To Us? Wil The Farang Be Dirven Out?

Visa's was much easier when he was in power last time . It was aired early in this election it was voiced that they would make it easier for forigners to get visa's

Wait a second, snoookums, weren't the financial requirements for retirees substantially raised during his regime? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Visa's was much easier when he was in power last time . It was aired early in this election it was voiced that they would make it easier for forigners to get visa's

Wait a second, snoookums, weren't the financial requirements for retirees substantially raised during his regime? Correct me if I'm wrong.

And he took away the money in bank option for married couples. :annoyed:

Not as far as I know .Wasn't it raised in the last 4 years

NO!!!! Much before. I am sure about that.

Police order 606/2549.

Well there was no trouble getting TV's ,O visa's Many people stayed here by just going to the border & getting 4wks free entry & they could have as many back to back as they want. same as TV's as many back to back as wanted.

Now we all know what has to be done & then can noy be certain of a visa

That's all fine and dandy but I am still certain the increased financial requirement for retirees was ALREADY in effect at the time of the cited police order! Note the document does not specify exactly what has CHANGED since the already existing rules. So I still think this was done BEFORE the date of the cited police order (based on my recalled PERSONAL EXPERIENCE), and it was also certainly done under the THAKSIN REGIME. I welcome you to PROVE me wrong. Then I will say I am wrong if you CAN. This police order does nothing of the kind.

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/doc/info/application_for_temp_stay.pdf

BTW, the cited police order was put into effect during the latter period of the THAKSIN REGIME anyway. Effective Oct 2006. Thaksin deposed November 2006.

Edited by Jingthing

That's all fine and dandy but I am still certain the increased financial requirement for retirees was ALREADY in effect at the time of the cited police order! Note the document does not specify exactly what has CHANGED since the already existing rules. So I still think this was done BEFORE the date of the cited police order (based on my recalled PERSONAL EXPERIENCE), and it was also certainly done under the THAKSIN REGIME. I welcome you to PROVE me wrong. Then I will say I am wrong if you CAN. This police order does nothing of the kind.

http://canberra.thai...r_temp_stay.pdf

BTW, the cited police order was put into effect during the latter period of the THAKSIN REGIME anyway. Effective Oct 2006. Thaksin deposed November 2006.

However the Dems didn't revoke it & moved to make it harder for forigners to come here. They have also been plotting to snatch the properties of foreigners as has been revealed here on TV. Lets not forget that the Dems are patsies for Pad & Pad have said they want all foriegners & foriegn busnessies evicted out of Thailand & the people to go back working on the farms.

Edited by pukka

Excuse me but I wasn't arguing that the democrats were pro foreigner either! I was and still do argue there is nothing pro foreigner about Thaksin and the reds. Expect irrational xenophobia from ANY and ALL Thai governments.

BTW, regarding 30 day stamps by air. Nationalities getting 30 day stamps by air may currently fly out and into Thailand every 30 days for LIFE, under the current rules. No limits on that whatsoever, but you'll need to have a lot of pages in your passport or change passports often.

Next ...

Edited by Jingthing

Excuse me but I wasn't arguing that the democrats were pro foreigner either! I was and still do argue there is nothing pro foreigner about Thaksin and the reds. Expect irrational xenophobia from ANY and ALL Thai governments.

BTW, regarding 30 day stamps by air. Nationalities getting 30 day stamps by air may currently fly out and into Thailand every 30 days for LIFE, under the current rules. No limits on that whatsoever, but you'll need to have a lot of pages in your passport or change passports often.

Next ...

And a lot of cash for the air fare.

AFTER Thaksin, major liberalization of the ED visa program. Huge mushrooming of Thai language schools often acting as visa mills for the under 50's wishing to stay in Thailand long term.

Face it folks, you can't say any particular party is friendlier to foreign long stayers. It's not a big issue on Thai voter's radar anyway.

OK, here it is.

DEFINITIVE EVIDENCE that the financial requirement for retirement extensions was indeed raised to 800K MUCH EARLIER than some have asserted here.

This shows AS EARLY as 2003 (NOT 2006) from the most honorable and esteemed DOCTOR Pat Pong --

Posted 2003-12-10 05:07:22

As it stands now, you need 800,000 baht in a bank in Thailand, or a combination of income and banking to qualify for your first one year extension. For the three one year extensions, Thai Immigration usually do not require health checks or police clearance. These are required if you seek permanent residency after 3 continuous year stays, or if you apply for an O-A Non-Immigrant Visa at a Thai Consulate, or the Embassy in London.

If it's from PONG, you better believe it!

Now I still don't know EXACTLY when the order was changed to INCREASE to 2003, whether under Thaksin regime (as I still think) or even earlier, as the dates of Thaksin's regime were 9 February 2001 – 19 September 2006.

Edited by Jingthing

OK, here it is.

DEFINITIVE EVIDENCE that the financial requirement for retirement extensions was indeed raised to 800K MUCH EARLIER than some have asserted here.

This shows AS EARLY as 2003 (NOT 2006) from the most honorable and esteemed DOCTOR Pat Pong --

http://www.thaivisa....dpost__p__33552

Posted 2003-12-10 05:07:22

As it stands now, you need 800,000 baht in a bank in Thailand, or a combination of income and banking to qualify for your first one year extension. For the three one year extensions, Thai Immigration usually do not require health checks or police clearance. These are required if you seek permanent residency after 3 continuous year stays, or if you apply for an O-A Non-Immigrant Visa at a Thai Consulate, or the Embassy in London.

If it's from PONG, you better believe it!

Now I still don't know EXACTLY when the order was changed to INCREASE to 2003, whether under Thaksin regime (as I still think) or even earlier, as the dates of Thaksin's regime were 9 February 2001 – 19 September 2006.

How many other countries can you get a 1-year retirement visa with just USD27,000 in the bank? Try Malaysia...lol

I am not so worried about 800,000Bt prerequisit. In my view it's OK and in-line with other Asian countries (say, Malaysia)much less xenophobic to foreigners.

The complications with business activities and land purchase are at least logically explainable,- they do not want the whole country in our hands... Fine!

What pisses me off, is two things:

1)If I am a retiree and live in my own place for years, WHY ON EARTH I MUST GET A PIECEMEAL ONE YEAR VISA?

2) If I live for years in my own place AND have this lousy 1 YEAR VISA, why do I have to report to Immigration every 3 months? This defies any logic. And why my Blue book cannot show my name as a legit owner? Care to give a logic for this? :bah:

Note: It's still a wonderful world :)

I am not so worried about 800,000Bt prerequisit. In my view it's OK and in-line with other Asian countries (say, Malaysia)much less xenophobic to foreigners.

The complications with business activities and land purchase are at least logically explainable,- they do not want the whole country in our hands... Fine!

What pisses me off, is two things:

1)If I am a retiree and live in my own place for years, WHY ON EARTH I MUST GET A PIECEMEAL ONE YEAR VISA?

2) If I live for years in my own place AND have this lousy 1 YEAR VISA, why do I have to report to Immigration every 3 months? This defies any logic. And why my Blue book cannot show my name as a legit owner? Care to give a logic for this? :bah:

Note: It's still a wonderful world :)

To answer your two questions where else in world (other than a few shady counties) were 1. they even allow retiree's 2. and owning a property gives you right of permanent residence...for thye princely sum of 800k

The systems in Thailand although not ideal are not that bad compared to other countries and would suggest the lady doth protest too much...:whistling:

One suspects if our friend in dubai ever gets back into power in Thailand, I can foresee harder times for farangs living here, (certain nationalities at least) as his intent will be to seek revenge against those counties who snubbed him/revoked his visa's etc, and the easiest way to do this is, is to make it harder for those nationals lving in Thailand.

A point the red shirt apologists, who are not Thai nationals should consider when spouting off how wonderful he is

However the Dems didn't revoke it & moved to make it harder for forigners to come here. They have also been plotting to snatch the properties of foreigners as has been revealed here on TV. Lets not forget that the Dems are patsies for Pad & Pad have said they want all foriegners & foriegn busnessies evicted out of Thailand & the people to go back working on the farms.

The Dems brought back the 400.000 in bank option for married to Thai option that Thaksin scrapped.

PAD are against the Dems, haven't you read the news? :huh:

Edited by PoorSucker

The Dems brought back the 400.000 in bank option for married to Thai option that Thaksin scrapped.

PAD are against the Dems, haven't you read the news? :huh:

You really believe Pad are against the Dems , thats funny

How many other countries can you get a 1-year retirement visa with just USD27,000 in the bank? Try Malaysia...lol

That isn't the point. The issue was which party is more foreigner friendly or unfriendly, and I feel strongly I have proven there is NO That party that won't potentially make things harder, or more expensive, for us. So it's silly for foreigners to consider those factors in forming their opinion about Thai parties. People who assert that Thaksin was especially friendly to foreigners and that we can expect only friendly changes under Thaksin again are seriously deluding themselves.

More specifically, most countries don't have a bank account option. The financial level of course was raised to 800K, apparently under THAKSIN, for BOTH the bank account AND income methods.

I know of only two countries where you can get retirement status at similar current levels to Thailand based on BANK ACCOUNT only. Ecuador (20K USD in bank) and the Philippines (I think a bit less than 27K for over 50's, more for those under). For income based retirement, there are some MUCH cheaper options, such as Nicaragua and Mexico. Of course you can retire in Cambodia with no financial requirements using their business visa, but that isn't a retirement visa as they don't offer one.

Edited by Jingthing

Thaksin was deposed 19/20 September 2006.

Thaksin was deposed 19/20 September 2006.

I believe the coup occurred in NOVEMBER 2006. But if you read this thread you will see evidence that the 2006 police order had NOTHING to do with RAISING the financial requirements for retirement visas! That was in effect as early as 2003. (2006 was I think a change to MONEY SEASONING requirements which also represented a TIGHTENING on foreigners, and I still reckon that 2006 police order was developed under Thaksin.

The 2006 police order dates --

Given on September 8, 2006

September 8 is before September 19, the last time I checked ...

Edited by Jingthing