Thaksin Allies In Thai Election Landslide: Exit Polls

webfact

mr member get a life yr not even Thai, you should agree with the morjority of the Thai people if you agree with a democratic society ! ( for my part i give this party all my best and if it dosen't work out then another vote will follow ). you are a guest ack like one !

Yay for Red Democracy.

"We're a large minority. You should agree with us."

How is over 50% a minority? Seriously, your comments are past ridiculous now.

The got a majority (over 50%) of the seats. They only got 45% (a large minority) of the votes. And that doesn't count the 20% of voters that didn't vote.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mr member get a life yr not even Thai, you should agree with the morjority of the Thai people if you agree with a democratic society ! ( for my part i give this party all my best and if it dosen't work out then another vote will follow ). you are a guest ack like one !

Yay for Red Democracy.

How is over 50% a minority? Seriously, your comments are past ridiculous now.

The got a majority (over 50%) of the seats. They only got 45% (a large minority) of the votes. And that doesn't count the 20% of voters that didn't vote.

So how do you know the 20% of voters didn't vote would all be anti-Thaksin?

I don't. That's why I said it doesn't count them. All I (and you) know is that PTP got 45% of the vote.

Edited by whybother

Another post with reference to HM the King was removed. Even veiled insinuations are not allowed.

A post with references to HM the King has been removed. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

Please be reminded of this pinned topic: No Discussion Of The Monarchy In Political Context

Yay for Red Democracy.

The red mentality does appear to be extremely dictatorial, but we ain't seen nothing yet.

OK I'll bite - why should anyone agree with what the majority agree with? They call that sheep mentality - a classic extreamist position,

With that kind of description of a vote....No voting process anywhere in the world is valid as a free choice.

Folks that are tolerated guests should just let it be.....or go somewhere that votes the way you agree with...If such a place exists

Edited by flying

With all the anti-Thaksin farang cannons blasting away at Thaksin and Puea Thai over the past years, weeks and days, he still won the election. Don't you guys realize that your opinion doesn't count anything? Quit fighting please and accept the choice that Thais have made.

:jap:

Accepted but not celebrating. OK with you? How does it work that a criminal fugitive wins an election? That's off the map of political normality.

What is Thaksin's little sister a criminal fugitive as well ? Surley you are not suggesting Thaksin won the election :)

I don't. That's why I said it doesn't count them. All I (and you) know is that PTP got 45% of the vote.

Which is an amazing amount of votes, any way you look at it. When's the last time the dems got 45% of the votes ?

With all the anti-Thaksin farang cannons blasting away at Thaksin and Puea Thai over the past years, weeks and days, he still won the election. Don't you guys realize that your opinion doesn't count anything? Quit fighting please and accept the choice that Thais have made.

Accepted but not celebrating. OK with you? How does it work that a criminal fugitive wins an election? That's off the map of political normality.

What is Thaksin's little sister a criminal fugitive as well ? Surley you are not suggesting Thaksin won the election :)

Please don't play games. They have been entirely open that PTP is a proxy party for Thaksin, and that Yingluck, Thaksin's SISTER, is a proxy apparent PM for Thaksin. It's silly to act otherwise. That's how they won. No secret.

I am of the understanding that under Thai law it is not allowed for a banned from politics person (not to mention being a criminal fugitive) can't be involved in Thai politics in the way that Thaksin CLEARLY did in this election (and has before).

Edited by Jingthing

Please don't play games. They have been entirely open that PTP is a proxy party for Thaksin, and that Yingluck, Thaksin's SISTER, is a proxy apparent PM for Thaksin. It's silly to act otherwise. That's how they won. No secret.

I am of the understanding that under Thai law it is not allowed for a banned from politics person (not to mention being a criminal fugitive) can't be involved in Thai politics in the way that Thaksin CLEARLY did in this election (and has before).

I also have to wonder if Thaksin is even still a Thai given his citizenship & passport issues with other countries.

Because they don't fit the standard PT demographic since they didn't vote because they didn't need the extra income. wink.gif JK

But seriously, not sure why the debate about the numbers continue to go on. They are what they are but the bottom line is the country is and will remains seriously divided. Not because PT won or other parties lost but simply because PT is run by Thaksin whose biggest strength is dividing the people of this country. The passions regarding him both positive and negative run too high to have allowed such a scenerio of a fugitive and wanted terrorist to being pulling the strings of one of the major parties ... let alone any party. Thaksin represents nothing but the past, divisions and the man who caused the very negative divisions in this country for his own gain. Any reasonable person knows the best thing Thaksin can do for this country is to stay out of politics. For 5-years now he has done nothing but fuel the flames of divisions for this very election day.

I hope and pray for the sake of Thailand the PT turn their backs on Thaksin once they realize they have the power and can actually evoke positive change for the people of Thailand. The fact Thaksin only could trust his sister in this role hopefully is an indication that much of the party has simply used Thaksin to get in power in the same way he has used them and the poor for his gains.

OK I'll bite - why should anyone agree with what the majority agree with? They call that sheep mentality - a classic extreamist position,

With that kind of description of a vote....No voting process anywhere in the world is valid as a free choice.

Folks that are tolerated guests should just let it be.....or go somewhere that votes the way you agree with...If such a place exists

Sorry Flying, care to explain this a bit further??? - my comment was about the right to comment on the result - valid or not - and to comment and discuss politics (or anything else) - not sure how this relates to what you wrote, who was describing a "vote"? (why would they? does not everyone know what a vote is - a tick in a box or a yea/nay) - and how does even that relate to voting being a free choice or not ?- sorry just completely confused by your response. The rest, from the word 'folks' on is just drivel really - if we are merely 'tolerated' then that says far more negatively about Thais than any here have said - and "let it be" implies an intent to change it - we neither have the ability nor the desire to "change" anything, does that stop discourse - I can't change the weather, should it therefore be banned as a discussion subject? Is there somewhere I can go where it is possible to change the weather, so I can discuss it?

No one here at any point in any of the threads currently running on the election and politics have stated that Thai people did not have the right to a free vote, no where is it posted that Thais should not have voted the way their conscience lead them, no poster has said they should have voted for X or Y and not Z. That is interfering with the vote, to comment on policies, promises and the result itself after the fact is hardly interfering. Indeed to discuss it is what democracy is all about. I gather by your language that you are not a native English speaker, it is therefore highly likely you have misinterpreted mine and probably many posts here - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Sorry, but your response is far more derogatory towards Thai people than I would ever be!

Can anyone confirm what the most popular colour t-shirt is in Bangkok at the moment. Normally it's yellow however not being there to witnes the current spectucal i can only hazard a guess at red.

When i was there just before the bloodbath in the CBD the yellow shirts were scarce and the tuk tuks had two flags flying.

@jingthing, sorry for not quoting, this ipad apparently has some difficulties :)

Sorry, I was merely joking of course, allthough on the record, his name was never on any ballot.

Sorry back. I jumped the gun. Looking it over, I see you were being sarcastic; dense of me to miss that.

No one here at any point in any of the threads currently running on the election and politics have stated that Thai people did not have the right to a free vote, no where is it posted that Thais should not have voted the way their conscience lead them, no poster has said they should have voted for X or Y and not Z. That is interfering with the vote, to comment on policies, promises and the result itself after the fact is hardly interfering. Indeed to discuss it is what democracy is all about. I gather by your language that you are not a native English speaker, it is therefore highly likely you have misinterpreted mine and probably many posts here

This will be an exercise in futility but here it goes....

My English speaking & comprehension is just fine thanks but...perhaps if you re-read the non English speakers comment that you were flaming you will comprehend it better & there by understand your so called *biting the bait* response was just that....a bite.

What the non-English speaker/Thai said in his/her post was in essence if you agree with a democratic society/principle then you would agree that the majority has spoken clearly in this case. It was not what you hoped to twist it into.....ie: follow the herd mentality

As for all the rest snipped form your post & left.....Yes none has said they should not have voted the way *they* wanted. Instead the majority here claims they are basically dumb or bought & paid for by doing so. I stick by my original suggestion....Most here in this thread claim freedom of thought yet obviously do not allow such rights to others or act incredulous at what *they* choose with that freedom. All this has shown the Thai's that monitor this site is that they are right to restrict the guests to being just guests.

Edited by flying

Have any of you ever looked at the films on youtube of the Thai military shooting at unarmed Thais in Red?

Go ahead and look.

Then make up your mind about where the evil is.

The lust for powe the ruling class is so great as to be completely insane. No elections matter to the one side.

No matter how many times they lose elections to their opponents, they simply refuse to give in to the will of the people.

They control the media and the internet in Thailand. They threaten and distort. They call the newly elected group crimminal even before they take office. Funny thing is they have said this in a never ending stream of government contoled and threatenned media for 7 years now. They shoot down hundreds in the streets. No one goes to jail for a crime. They do coups. no one goes to jail. They kill their own people using military assualt rifels. No one goes to jail.

Do you remember this thing how it really happened?

A COUP. The PM was outside the country and some low officers, following command from above of course, took over the government. Why? They said they were acting for the people but that is of course complete nonsense and a massive evil lie.

The real evil then was that they completly polluted the Supreme Court of Thailand with their own puppet judges to block the will of the people. Another election was held and of course this clown court filled with evil corrupt men, threw out the PM and killed the ruling party with nonsensical charges.

The Court went so far as to outlaw parties.

So they people went onto form a new party. Same group, different name.

They were in RED!

When they asked for real elections, they were ignored. When they protested in the streets, they were shot down like dogs by military men with assualt rivals.

Hey friends from other nations. What would you do to leaders who shot down people in your nations this way?

So here we are.

Another election and another defeat for the Pro Coup groups.

We have another win by the people in Red.

If Thailand again goes to a coup as well it might, the violence could be catostophic and the trade tarrifs from internationls would then follow turning Thailand into a Burma like joke. Likely, many of the internet and media nonsense you read is comiong directly from the Junta. If you are in Thailand, of course you are afraid. it is a sick and sad ruling class that kills its own people.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the times he's spent in Dubai, he has spent money and time on attacking his opponents and doing all he can to discredit them. What is wrong with that?

Not once (to my knowledge) has he made a concerted effort to prove his innocence ( when you are charged, you do not have to prove you are innocent. The accuser has to prove your guilt. and clear his name. Of all the media outlets that would love to see evidence of his innocence and an unfair trial, we have seen nothing. Surely, proving his innocence would be the most important thing to clear up but he hasn't.

Why do you think that is? You prove your innocense. Do you honestly think there is any way for him to get a fair trial under the Coup court? You know that is a lie.

I hope you looked at the red (black) shirts shooting back at the army, and the various grenade blasts that killed people, too. Whoever paid people to do that must have had a bit of lust for power.

Do you remember what happened before the coup? Or do you think all the recent problems started there? Why did people start protesting in 2005? Why did Thaksin call an early election only ONE year after a landslide win? Why didn't he organise repeat elections in the proscribed time frame after the failed 2006 election?

When the red shirts asked for real elections, they were offered them. But they refused. Then they proceeded to kill army personnel, innocent bystanders at train stations, and then burn down buildings around the country.

This picture says it all

post-7754-0-49222900-1309825952_thumb.jp

I'll repeat my post from earlier in this thread . . .

It will be too late. Total power will be solidified. Democracy is DEAD in Thailand, starting today.

Mmmm . . . no. Democracy is NOT dead, the people have voted, democratically, and the masses will now get what they voted for.

What I think you mean is that they were 'duped' into voting in the way they did as they are 'uneducated' and don't know any different or don't see the 'big' picture.

How did a policeman become a billionaire again?

The only losers of this election are the Thai people.

Its also funny how the losers on the internet always point to percentage of the vote and how the winner was vote buying.

Lets remember.

The lowest voter turn out was in Isaan. So all those people were paid not to vote ? Thats not vote buying......... Vote buying is where you pay for a majority to vote, eg not Isaan.

Isaan has the lowest voter turnout as vote buying is not needed and people will vote with PTP, so the opposition do not vote buy and nor do the winners, as the people (the majority of Thai's) will vote PTP therefore meaning most people do not even bother voting, let alone have their vote bought.

But of course this low voter turnout of the PTP voters is then twisted to be that their support is not as wide as the statistics (which ignore the non-voters) can then be manipulated to say.

Imagine the figures if the perhaps 65% of Isaan who did not bother to vote actually did vote PTP - what would the statistics say then.

Here's an interesting map of the election results in Bangkok:

BKK%2BElection%2Bresult%2B2011.png

Oddly enough, the Reds are most popular in the NE of Bangkok, just as they are most popular in the NE of Thailand overall.

Edited by otherstuff1957

No surprise to see all the old cynics here complaining.

Who's Thailand is this a sad day for - Thai people's or sexpats?

I think you are doing a disservice to most of the people here (in this thread) - I would suggest that most that said or believed that it is sad day for Thailand, believe it so when considering their home, families, businesses, friends etc . We all know that whoever wins will do nothing helpful for us expats diectly, but we who live here have more to consider than you seem to beleive we do - this suggests to me that you either do not live here, are not an exat (and thus have no idea what one would be thinking!) or are one of the sexpats (with no committment to the country) you refer to.

The inferences you've taken from my post are embarrassingly off-base.

Neither of the main 2 parties will do much for expats but it's no secret which party has a history of unfavorable decisions in regards to expats. Most people here speak selfishly and do little to consider the actual citizens of this country. objectively read most of the posts here and that will be quite clear.

What a strange post! Are you of the opinion that expats should support the party that is WORSE for them if it helps some peasant in Issan? Perhaps you are of the opinion that expats should just donate all their money to Thais and go home to live an inferior life.

Dunno about you, but I'm no saint, and I support the party that is best for ME ( not that I get a vote ), just like all the Thais that voted for PT did so because they thought they'd get a better deal from them. If you think that's selfish, then I'm selfish- SO WHAT!

Anyway, who, other than some misguided or brainwashed individuals, believes that the PT will be better for Thailand than the other party? They're all the same, rich and influential people out for themselves, just like in every so called democratic country.

You are very smart sir. Although it appears i was trying to make a point that we should encourage what's best for Thai people, I was actually saying that you should give all your money to Thais and go home. You are truly brilliant! Bravo!

They may not realize it now, but they will eventually.

It is a sad day for Thailand.

"I don't have to return home soon. I can stay here, but I just really want to attend my daughter's wedding. I don't want to cause trouble by returning home."

Time to go home to help your clone...............:jap:

I'll repeat my post from earlier in this thread . . .

It will be too late. Total power will be solidified. Democracy is DEAD in Thailand, starting today.

Mmmm . . . no. Democracy is NOT dead, the people have voted, democratically, and the masses will now get what they voted for.

What I think you mean is that they were 'duped' into voting in the way they did as they are 'uneducated' and don't know any different or don't see the 'big' picture.

Beg your pardon, but nope, you got it wrong. I believe they were for the most part quite aware they were voting for an autocrat, an autocrat that for whatever reason they LOVE. In many countries, that can mean the END of any chance of somewhat fair elections for a very, very, long time (replaced by pure show elections at best). Probably better for me to say that I THINK democracy is now dead here, because it is true that is a pessimistic prediction. I felt the same way when W. Bush stole the US election in 2000 and happily I was wrong. But looking at global history, it can go either way, and last time I checked Thailand is part of the globe, not immune from the the type of political tragedies that have happened in many other countries.

You are very smart sir. Although it appears i was trying to make a point that we should encourage what's best for Thai people, I was actually saying that you should give all your money to Thais and go home. You are truly brilliant! Bravo!

What's best for the Thai people, or what's best for the Thai farmers? You can keep subsidising their inefficient means of production in return for a guaranteed source of votes only as long as you have a stream of money coming in from other means. Keep giving them small handouts that allow them to buy a few consumables, but will never lift them out of the position they are in now. In short, keep them poor on the farm, but happy with their new phone/DVD player/motorbike. Or you can enact policies that raise the wealth of the entire country, educate the people and give them an alternative, non handout based, source of a steady income. In short, move the ones who want to away from the lower class and into the middle. Believing that someone is somehow going to raise the people of the country from poor rural based to middle class rural based in a single generation, simply by giving them some money is just that, a belief. A rural myth. If I wanted what's best for me personally then I'd be welcoming the PTP victory. We have a silo full of rice that has just jumped in value. Next year's crop is now growing in the fields and will bring that same increase in price. I have a steady income from outside the country that will shortly jump in value when the baht drops. I have all the consumer goods I need, and am fairly self sufficient in food, so inflation is not too big a concern. If the price of labour increases we'll just use more mechanical means. Hooray for the PTP. I've gone from earning more money than I will ever spend to earning even more money than I will ever spend. Meanwhile, those who really need it are left with a few trinkets and the country goes down the tubes. Maybe I'll build a large manor house, employ a full set of servants, buy up all the land around me when the farmers are forced to sell to service their debt (as what happened last time the TRT were throwing cheap loans about), and lease it out to tenant farmers. Buy my daughter the local parliamentary constituency, legally change my name to Lord Ballpoint, get a tweed suit, import a few foxes and live the country gentleman's dream. Because that is exactly the direction the country is heading. In every election, no matter who has ended up leading the government, the rural power blocks remain the same, getting richer at the expense of the poor. If I wanted what's best for me personally then yes, I'd support the PTP as they currently stand. Because I want what's best for the country, I definitely don't.

I did not fell this sick for a very long time. Simply do not understand how apparently also a lot of people that you would consider "educated" voted for this circus. How can they forget that easily???

You mean the circus of a military coup? The circus of the airport occupations? The circus of destroying tourism? The circus of having a PM installed that you never voted for? The circus of going to the brink of war with your neighbor Cambodia? The circus of over 90 dead Thais and nobody held accountable?

Yes, I'm glad that circus is over.

Yes Thailand is a circus....red, yellow,pink or blue...it's a circus. Btw, tourism isn't destroyed...it's flourishing. Thailand is one of the top tourist destinations in the world. Where did you get your info? and how about Thaksin's war on drugs...alot of people were not given the chance to defend themselves....they were killed...no one held accountable. Was that ok?

Both parties are corrupt...everyone knows that. The majority of Thais just want Santa Claus to be PM, that's all....and they don't care about his morals or ethics as long as they get something from him...as long as they benefit. This is Thailand. Thaksin is running from the law and they voted for him(not Yingluck)..good example for the kids? Yes it's democracy..but democracy isn't perfect.

For Thaksin this is all about saving face. Now he will probably bend over backwards to look like an angel....he may even resemble mother Theresa a bit just to hold onto simple minded people and keep their loyalty and trust...i wouldn't put it past him.

you know...... Bin Laden would probably be voted in as PM here if he were Thai.

I think you are doing a disservice to most of the people here (in this thread) - I would suggest that most that said or believed that it is sad day for Thailand, believe it so when considering their home, families, businesses, friends etc . We all know that whoever wins will do nothing helpful for us expats diectly, but we who live here have more to consider than you seem to beleive we do - this suggests to me that you either do not live here, are not an exat (and thus have no idea what one would be thinking!) or are one of the sexpats (with no committment to the country) you refer to.

The inferences you've taken from my post are embarrassingly off-base.

Neither of the main 2 parties will do much for expats but it's no secret which party has a history of unfavorable decisions in regards to expats. Most people here speak selfishly and do little to consider the actual citizens of this country. objectively read most of the posts here and that will be quite clear.

What a strange post! Are you of the opinion that expats should support the party that is WORSE for them if it helps some peasant in Issan? Perhaps you are of the opinion that expats should just donate all their money to Thais and go home to live an inferior life.

Dunno about you, but I'm no saint, and I support the party that is best for ME ( not that I get a vote ), just like all the Thais that voted for PT did so because they thought they'd get a better deal from them. If you think that's selfish, then I'm selfish- SO WHAT!

Anyway, who, other than some misguided or brainwashed individuals, believes that the PT will be better for Thailand than the other party? They're all the same, rich and influential people out for themselves, just like in every so called democratic country.

And are you saying that putting a convicted crook in charge of Thailand is "what's best for Thai people"?

If you're so bent on doing right for the Thai people, I'm sure you donate all your money to charities to support the really deserving. Goodness knows they need it because rich Thai people seem rather reluctant to support their poor fellow citizens, especially billionaire fugitives hiding in Dubai.

PS I think the Dems would have been better for Thailand than PT, but what do I know, I'm just selfish and look out for myself.

Does anybody know what is the scheduled date for transition of power?

If not, what is the typical time frame in other parliamentary government / countries after a vote?

I also have been thinking about the official hand over of Power,

and it does seem an undue reluctance to do it quickly.

Perhaps it takes time to make it clear to the "Faithful" just who really is in Power.