Thai Ex-PM Thaksin Says No Plans To Return After Sister's Poll Win

webfact

Thai ex-PM says no plans to return after sister's poll win

DUBAI, July 4, 2011 (AFP) - Thai former premier Thaksin Shinawatra said Monday that he has no immediate plans to return home after his sister Yingluck won a landslide general election victory.

"Going back home is not a major concern. It is not a priority," Thaksin told reporters in Dubai, where he lives in self-imposed exile. "The top priority is to bring back reconciliation."

Thaksin thanked the Thai people for voting for his sister.

"I am very grateful for the Thai people that they really come out to voice their concern about the country. It is very clear that they want to see reconciliation in the country, they want to see an end to the conflict, and they want to see the country moving forward," he said.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-07-04

Quote: "Going back home is not a major concern. It is not a priority," Thaksin told reporters in Dubai, where he lives in self-imposed exile. "The top priority is to bring back reconciliation."

To thaksin "reconciliation" is just the mask over the words amnesty / whitewash, and nothing more.

Edited by scorecard

If Thaksin cared one ounce about reconciliation then he would not be doing what he has been since his conviction and he certainly wouldn't have picked his personal puppet as party leader let alone be involved in the party at all. When people talk of divisions in Thailand it is Thaksin's it is impossible to avoid speaking of Thaksin. There is no other person in Thailand who creates such emotional divisions among people than Thaksin.

It seems that all of his statements about coming back was to woo those who want him back, whereas his statements about no plan about coming back is to satisfy those who don't want him back. He is saying different things to different groups of people, trying to satisfy each. I think that has been one of Pheu Thai's strategies to get votes - just tell each group what they want to hear.

It seems that all of his statements about coming back was to woo those who want him back, whereas his statements about no plan about coming back is to satisfy those who don't want him back. He is saying different things to different groups of people, trying to satisfy each. I think that has been one of Pheu Thai's strategies to get votes - just tell each group what they want to hear.

That's the strategy of every politician. Tell it with a chit eating grin, mind you.

Edited by EnhancePlus

I am sure certain factions of the invisible hand party are now trying to negotiate that he can return provided his party do not investigate them.

So quite a good idea of Thaksin to now back off wanting to come back and let those who are guilty of murder and corruption and crimes against a civilian population sweat about what is going to happen next - and not give them the easy negotiation of "you can come back now provided we are left alone".

Remember, how many military leaders are presently living with an AMNESTY already in place for their past crimes.

All coup leaders gave themselves AMNESTY.

They know they cannot argue against the principle of amnesty as they are living today with it.

It is only the invisible hand that represents division in Thailand, and why only Thaksin and his party that represent the Thai majority.

Its why the invisible hand can never win an election by their puppets and why they resort to other means to get control. And why Thaksin's party can easily win elections.

If Thaksin cared one ounce about reconciliation then he would not be doing what he has been since his conviction and he certainly wouldn't have picked his personal puppet as party leader let alone be involved in the party at all. When people talk of divisions in Thailand it is Thaksin's it is impossible to avoid speaking of Thaksin. There is no other person in Thailand who creates such emotional divisions among people than Thaksin.

I agree. If he truly cared about the Thai people, he would have already set up many charities in Thailand, regularly donating his own money to them, whilst living comfortably in Dubai and flying around the world minding his own business (empire).

Actually some of the world's elite have set up charities in order to appear respectable, even though much of their wealth was acquired underhandedly. The Rothschilds and Rockefellers are an example. I guess Thaksin doesn't want to waste his own money just to gain respect, as he probably feels he has enough love and respect from his supporters.

Edited by hyperdimension

To thaksin "reconciliation" is just the mask over the words amnesty / whitewash, and nothing more.

Not to mention, helping himself, and filling his pockets with billions of confiscated funds, won by corruption and fraud prior to the coup in 2006.. :angry:

Can I have some reconciliation, please? :rolleyes:

UPDATE

Thai ex-PM says does not want to return to power

by W.G. Dunlop

DUBAI, July 4, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand's exiled former premier Thaksin Shinawatra said on Monday he does not want to return to power, after his sister Yingluck scored a landslide general election victory.

"I've been with the party too long, and I really want to retire. Actually, I announced when I was in office that I planned to retire when I was 60," Thaksin told reporters from a podium set up in front of his home in the upscale Emirates Hills neighbourhood of Dubai, where he lives in self-imposed exile.

"I'm 62. It's long overdue for me," Thaksin said.

"Going back (to Thailand) is not necessarily to be going back to politics," he said, joking that he might become a professional golfer.

Asked if he wanted to be prime minister again, Thaksin said: "No."

Thaksin, who was ousted in a bloodless coup in 2006, said reconciliation takes precedence over any return to Thailand.

"Going back home is not a major concern. It is not a priority," he said. "The top priority is to bring back reconciliation."

"I will be here doing business, and whatever advice they may need, I will give, but if they don't need, I don't have to worry -- the Thai people will be in good hands," he said.

Thaksin played down the possibility of further conflict in Thailand, where more than 90 people, mostly civilians, died in a series of 2010 street clashes between mostly unarmed red-clad protesters loyal to Thaksin and government soldiers firing live ammunition in the streets of the capital.

"Now, I think all the Thai start to think that five years is enough for them, regardless of colour," he said when asked about potential protests by his "yellow shirt" opponents.

Thaksin thanked the Thai people for voting for his sister.

"I am very grateful for the Thai people that they really come out to voice their concern about the country. It is very clear that they want to see reconciliation in the country, they want to see an end to the conflict, and they want to see the country moving forward," he said.

"I'm proud of her, and I trust her," Thaksin said of his sister.

He added that her lack of prior experience in office could actually be positive, as she lacked political baggage.

In "some periods of political development, you need a clean slate -- if you were to have the people with a lot of political baggage ... reconciliation is maybe very difficult," he said.

He described her as "really cheerful," but said that when she is working on something, she does so "really seriously."

Thaksin said that after reconciliation, reviving the economy was the new government's main priority.

Asked if he would seek to recover some $1.4 billion of his assets that were confiscated by the supreme court in 2010, the former telecoms tycoon said: "Don't worry, I'm not starving yet."

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-07-04

A very politically astute comment. All the amnesties are a way off yet and he has learned from the mistakes PPP made last time. And in the eyes of his supporters it is even sacrifice for the good of the country that others dont even deserve but that he gives them in his magnanimity.

I am sure certain factions of the invisible hand party are now trying to negotiate that he can return provided his party do not investigate them.

So quite a good idea of Thaksin to now back off wanting to come back and let those who are guilty of murder and corruption and crimes against a civilian population sweat about what is going to happen next - and not give them the easy negotiation of "you can come back now provided we are left alone".

Remember, how many military leaders are presently living with an AMNESTY already in place for their past crimes.

All coup leaders gave themselves AMNESTY.

They know they cannot argue against the principle of amnesty as they are living today with it.

It is only the invisible hand that represents division in Thailand, and why only Thaksin and his party that represent the Thai majority.

Its why the invisible hand can never win an election by their puppets and why they resort to other means to get control. And why Thaksin's party can easily win elections.

There won't be a full investigation. How would they explain the blackshirts and the grenades?

What is ironic is that if he would have returned to Thailand after the Olympics and stood trial, defended himself and served his sentence, he would have been out by now and free to go about his business.

A Nelson Mandella, he ain't. He's may be the most SELFISH Thai man alive today, and that's saying a lot. He had the power to heal the divisions here long ago, but he ran away like a coward, and instead instigated anarchic rebellions. Respect?

Thai ex-PM says does not want to return to power

As long as he funds Pheu Thai and UDD, he will continue to wield power and control, regardless of whether he has any official position. He will basically be another "unelected elite" or "invisible hand", advising the party to act in ways that further his own interests.

It is so obvious to our western eyes but so much similar to the American Dream so many dream of to achieve in their own Asian life.

Words over here are facts and Chinese minds are Champions to naturally having using them 24/7 non stop to even kill with....

i know it's highly unlikely,but if/when he returns to thailand will he,by law,be arrested and sent straight to the monkey house?

No, he will only come back with a guarantee of freedom here. He feels he bought that right.

i know it's highly unlikely,but if/when he returns to thailand will he,by law,be arrested and sent straight to the monkey house?

No, he will only come back with a guarantee of freedom here. He feels he bought that right.

He has them over a barrel. Anyone really want to really investigate what really happened last year. They will give him amnesty, and they will get theirs. Quid pro

quo

The last 6 years has been littered with people who don't want the whole story of everything to come out, and Thaksin knows this completely.

Edited by Thai at Heart

I agree. If he truly cared about the Thai people, he would have already set up many charities in Thailand, regularly donating his own money to them, whilst living comfortably in Dubai and flying around the world minding his own business (empire).

Actually some of the world's elite have set up charities in order to appear respectable, even though much of their wealth was acquired underhandedly. The Rothschilds and Rockefellers are an example. I guess Thaksin doesn't want to waste his own money just to gain respect, as he probably feels he has enough love and respect from his supporters.

Did you miss the edition of the news when the floods hit Thailand just a few months ago how HE gave money to the flood victoms before the government did? Maybe you should read before you speak.

Did you miss the edition of the news when the floods hit Thailand just a few months ago how HE gave money to the flood victoms before the government did? Maybe you should read before you speak.

Which part of the country did he give the money....the north or the south ??