Thai Ex-PM Thaksin Says No Plans To Return After Sister's Poll Win

webfact

i know it's highly unlikely,but if/when he returns to thailand will he,by law,be arrested and sent straight to the monkey house?

No, he will only come back with a guarantee of freedom here. He feels he bought that right.

He has them over a barrel. Anyone really want to really investigate what really happened last year. They will give him amnesty, and they will get theirs. Quid pro

quo

The last 6 years has been littered with people who don't want the whole story of everything to come out, and Thaksin knows this completely.

+1

If Thaksin cared one ounce about reconciliation then he would not be doing what he has been since his conviction and he certainly wouldn't have picked his personal puppet as party leader let alone be involved in the party at all. When people talk of divisions in Thailand it is Thaksin's it is impossible to avoid speaking of Thaksin. There is no other person in Thailand who creates such emotional divisions among people than Thaksin.

I agree. If he truly cared about the Thai people, he would have already set up many charities in Thailand, regularly donating his own money to them, whilst living comfortably in Dubai and flying around the world minding his own business (empire).

Actually some of the world's elite have set up charities in order to appear respectable, even though much of their wealth was acquired underhandedly. The Rothschilds and Rockefellers are an example. I guess Thaksin doesn't want to waste his own money just to gain respect, as he probably feels he has enough love and respect from his supporters.

Did you miss the edition of the news when the floods hit Thailand just a few months ago how HE gave money to the flood victoms before the government did? Maybe you should read before you speak.

You know, I had forgotten about reading that. Thanks for reminding me. I went back and looked at the article, and he said he was instructing the Thaicom Foundation to donate 5 million baht to the Thai Red Cross. So I googled to see if he had; I looked at the Thaicom Foundation website, and the Thai Red Cross website; and there was no mention of Thaicom Foundation giving money to the Red Cross. So, if you could kindly provide a link, I'd be most appreciative.

Cheers

It is so obvious to our western eyes but so much similar to the American Dream so many dream of to achieve in their own Asian life.

American dream? Listen to what the late great George Carlin has to say about that. Almost incredibly accurate for Thailand right now too.

It seems that all of his statements about coming back was to woo those who want him back, whereas his statements about no plan about coming back is to satisfy those who don't want him back. He is saying different things to different groups of people, trying to satisfy each. I think that has been one of Pheu Thai's strategies to get votes - just tell each group what they want to hear.

Clever Guy, all his strategies seemed to have worked, so he is smart and all those that condemn him are the real idiots, not the Issan, because they won and the moaners lost

"I'm 62. It's long overdue for me," Thaksin said.

Curious. That implies Thaksin hasn't retired from politics yet. But since he's been out of power since he was 56, there's something not quite right about that statement...

I seem to recall Thaksin saying he was finished with politics back in 2006/2007 anyway...

"I'm not coming back" - he'll still be saying that even as he boards the plane.

"I am so lonely, I couldn't stay away any longer" as he steps onto the tarmac at Suvarnahbhumi.

I'll give it till the end of next week. He's already packing.

I am sure certain factions of the invisible hand party are now trying to negotiate that he can return provided his party do not investigate them.

So quite a good idea of Thaksin to now back off wanting to come back and let those who are guilty of murder and corruption and crimes against a civilian population sweat about what is going to happen next - and not give them the easy negotiation of "you can come back now provided we are left alone".

Remember, how many military leaders are presently living with an AMNESTY already in place for their past crimes.

All coup leaders gave themselves AMNESTY.

They know they cannot argue against the principle of amnesty as they are living today with it.

It is only the invisible hand that represents division in Thailand, and why only Thaksin and his party that represent the Thai majority.

Its why the invisible hand can never win an election by their puppets and why they resort to other means to get control. And why Thaksin's party can easily win elections.

Taksin said no revenge, and I believe him, following in the words of Nelson Mandella

Clever Guy, all his strategies seemed to have worked, so he is smart

Yup, that's one thing about Thaksin I'll never disagree with.

Gaddaffi's smart, too. And look at Mugabe, Kim Jong Il and, for that matter, Putin. These kind of guys have staying power; they're always the smartest.

Underestimate them at your peril. That's once of the weaknesses of nice folk, historically speaking.

[OP] - Thaksin Shinawatra said Monday that he has no immediate plans to return home after his sister Yingluck won a landslide general election victory.

"Going back home is not a major concern. It is not a priority," Thaksin told reporters in Dubai, where he lives in self-imposed exile. "The top priority is to bring back reconciliation."

So, I can make you a Great Deal on some oceanfront property in Arizona!!! :lol:

I am sure certain factions of the invisible hand party are now trying to negotiate that he can return provided his party do not investigate them.

So quite a good idea of Thaksin to now back off wanting to come back and let those who are guilty of murder and corruption and crimes against a civilian population sweat about what is going to happen next - and not give them the easy negotiation of "you can come back now provided we are left alone".

Remember, how many military leaders are presently living with an AMNESTY already in place for their past crimes.

All coup leaders gave themselves AMNESTY.

They know they cannot argue against the principle of amnesty as they are living today with it.

It is only the invisible hand that represents division in Thailand, and why only Thaksin and his party that represent the Thai majority.

Its why the invisible hand can never win an election by their puppets and why they resort to other means to get control. And why Thaksin's party can easily win elections.

Unfortunately, the majority are always the poorest.

"I'm 62. It's long overdue for me," Thaksin said.

Curious. That implies Thaksin hasn't retired from politics yet. But since he's been out of power since he was 56, there's something not quite right about that statement...

I seem to recall Thaksin saying he was finished with politics back in 2006/2007 anyway...

"I'm not coming back" - he'll still be saying that even as he boards the plane.

"I am so lonely, I couldn't stay away any longer" as he steps onto the tarmac at Suvarnahbhumi.

I'll give it till the end of next week. He's already packing.

Ya' think his new PR Team will have him kiss the ground again?

Ya' think his new PR Team will have him kiss the ground again?

Absolutely!!! - And, I have no doubts that he will

continue with his "glorious progress for democracy" and

that he is here only for "peaceful reconcilliation." ..... :whistling: