Yingluck Announces Five-Party Coalition

webfact

Yingluck announces five-party coalition

By The Nation

30159412-01.jpg

Pheu Thai prime minister candidate Yingluck Shinawatra Monday announced a five-party coalition with 299 MPs.

The five Yingluck coalition parties are Pheu Thai, Chat Thai Pattana, Chat Pattana Phua Pandin, Palang Chon and Mahachon.

She vowed to restore "international relations", apparently referring to Cambodia.

She stressed "reconciliation" must take place and economy be rebuilt. She said the Kanit na Nakhon panel, which was set up by the previous government to investigate fact behind the bloody violence, would be invited to go on working.

"Corruption is another problem that we will solve," Yingluck told a press conference.

"299 is a beautiful number", Yingluck said of her government's strength.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-04

Pheu Thai leader forming five-party coalition gov't with 299 seats

image_20110704144811F41E66E2-B006-9FB0-45A17C242F9A8752.jpg

BANGKOK, July 4 – Pheu Thai party leader Yingluck Shinawatra on Monday announced that her party, which gained a majority of votes in the July 3 election, will join forces with four smaller parties to form a coalition government.

The five parties to form the new government are Pheu Thai, the Chartthaipattana party, Chart Pattana Puea Pandin, Palang Chon and Mahachon with 299 seats in total, Ms Yingluck, who is set to become Thailand's first female prime minister, told a press conference at the SC Park Hotel.

Pheu Thai won a majority of 265 seats out of the total 500 parliament seats.

The five parties jointly announced their intention to work together to lead the country to national reconciliation, the sister of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra said, to build national reconciliation is the new government’s top priority.

She said the independent Truth and Reconciliation panel, chaired by Kanit Na Nakorn and set up by the Democrat-led government, will continue its work.

Moreover, the new government will be prepared to arrange celebrations for HM the King’s 84th birthday to wish him well and to show loyalty to the monarch. King Bhumibol’s birthday falls on December 5.

Other pressing issues to be tackled by the new government are to revive the economy by resolving the rising cost of living and commodities and to restore bilateral ties with neighbouring countries.

Government officials’ morale will be boosted as they are the key to drive the country forward, she said.

The new government will work to fight corruption and the government’s work will be transparent and can be scrutinised.

The businesswoman-turned-politician said the policies that she pledged to translate into action during her party’s final campaign rally at Rajamangala National Stadium on July 1 will be discussed with the coalition partners for implementation to solve the problems of the people. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-07-04

the government’s work will be transparent and can be scrutinised.<BR sab="473"><BR sab="474">

Sure we remember that from big bro's government.At that time you were also allowed to criticize,as long as you only talked to yourself or were tired of life.

If you have won 265 out of 500 seats, why do you need to form a coalition?

Apparently (someone posted earlier), ministers can't vote in the house. So they really need an extra 20 seats or so (above a simple majority) to get their changes through.

They're worried about defections from different factions once the spoils are divvied up. You've got to laugh. "Can't form a stable one party government with an outright majority" should be up there with "pissup in a brewery" as a term for ineptness. It also gives them the chance to try some of the smaller parties out before they buy them for the next election - assuming Thaksin allows any more elections. Sort of a hire purchase deal.

Edited by ballpoint

... this is quite a smart move not to take the blame alone as they may arise or not. This was and is a good and wise decision. The coalition partners will be not missed if they don't like what it's brewing in the pot. It's more a psyops than a rational move.

I would imagine, it's because a majority of 15 is regarded as not quite enough?

I suppose they don't really have to form a coalition, but if they want to get things voted through then it would seem sensible.

Apparently (someone posted earlier), ministers can't vote in the house. So they really need an extra 20 seats or so (above a simple majority) to get their changes through.

I didn't realise that, thanks :)

They're worried about defections from different factions once the spoils are divvied up. You've got to laugh. "Can't form a stable one party government with an outright majority" should be up there with "pissup in a brewery" as a term for ineptness. It also gives them the chance to try some of the smaller parties out before they buy them for the next election - assuming Thaksin allows any more elections. Sort of a hire purchase deal.

When did Thaksin not allow elections in the past?

2006. When he failed to get a mandate in the April elections, and under constitutional law should have been arranging new ones, the resurrected self appointed caretaker PM was clinging on for all he could and swanning off to the UN. I realise all the newbie reds think that Thai history began with the coup in 2006, but the reality was the current divisions began in late 2005.

Reconciliation? I bet if the Democrats would have won a majority of 251+ seats they wouldn't have joined with anyone.

But then again, no need to discuss that, as the Democrats have now lost every single election in the past 20 years. Their only hope is another military coup.

Strewth that was fast.

Who is saying what in the picture?

Sanan is saying nothing, just listening intently. He's all ears.

Sanan saying nothing? He just gave a press interview this morning.

For the slower witted members of the forum...

post-73341-0-78196100-1309783754_thumb.j

Strewth that was fast.

Ha

Must admit I missed that first too.

Strewth that was fast.

Good one :lol::jap:

Corruption is another problem that we will solve," Yingluck told a press conference.[/Quote]

You couldn't make it up :cheesy:

They did :whistling:

Eradicated in five months? She talks like a grade school teacher. Is that how she views her constituents?

Edited by Jingthing

I would imagine, it's because a majority of 15 is regarded as not quite enough?

I suppose they don't really have to form a coalition, but if they want to get things voted through then it would seem sensible.

Do you think that it may be a good idea to stop using the word 'landslide' then.

I asked that question for one simple reason, I had my own ideas as to why, but I wanted to get a feel for what other TV members thought.

I have now revised my original thoughts and turned it in to.....

All of the above.

(apart from one)

2006. When he failed to get a mandate in the April elections, and under constitutional law should have been arranging new ones, the resurrected self appointed caretaker PM was clinging on for all he could and swanning off to the UN. I realise all the newbie reds think that Thai history began with the coup in 2006, but the reality was the current divisions began in late 2005.

In fact he did arrange a new general election, they were scheduled just about 4 weeks after the coup if memory serves me right. Of course the militairy didn't have the guts to let it come to that..