Rear Disc'S Brake'S For Fortuner

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try www.runstopbj.com/rear_brakekit.htm

Thank's to both of you for the help. After useing your sugestion's. Seem's that the peep's to look at is B.J.motor part's. BKK. It's there under runstop if you poke about a bit. Once again many thank's.

JBT Thailand do a very nice conversion as well. Unfortunately it is much more expensive though. I had front and rear done on my Fortuner. post-66452-0-97675100-1309778556_thumb.j

Thank's I'll look them up as well, as my Fortuner is the later one it already has the front upgraded disc's. So all I need is the rear disc conversion. The stopping on mine is great but over here you can alway's do with something better. Edited by fredob43

JBT Thailand do a very nice conversion as well. Unfortunately it is much more expensive though. I had front and rear done on my Fortuner. post-66452-0-97675100-1309778556_thumb.j

Thank's I'll look them up as well, as my Fortuner is the later one it already has the front upgraded disc's. So all I need is the rear disc conversion. The stopping on mine is great but over here you can alway's do with something better.

I do hope you are not one of the many Fortuner owners I see going far too fast and back bumper hugging!!!! in this case yes you would need better brakes!!

Please explain what you mean "far to fast" for what

mmm well if you are driving inches from the bumper of the car in front(I have experienced this on many occasions from white van man/ fortuner man and big coach man) then that would be considered far too fast!!!

So what is the reason for the non standard rear disc brakes, is it in case someone pulls out in front of you (you can stop quicker) ? is it just a modification that looks good? or is it so you can go a lot faster and stop a lot quicker? serious questions here!!!

The op says.. the stopping on mine is great but wants them to be greater!!! if you drive at a sensible speed great brakes are more than adequate, if someone pulls out in front of you at the last minute no brakes in the world will save you. this is my opinion of course if he wants better brakes up to him.. :rolleyes:

Edited by kenny999

mmm well if you are driving inches from the bumper of the car in front(I have experienced this on many occasions from white van man/ fortuner man and big coach man) then that would be considered far too fast!!!

So what is the reason for the non standard rear disc brakes, is it in case someone pulls out in front of you (you can stop quicker) ? is it just a modification that looks good? or is it so you can go a lot faster and stop a lot quicker? serious questions here!!!

The op says.. the stopping on mine is great but wants them to be greater!!! if you drive at a sensible speed great brakes are more than adequate, if someone pulls out in front of you at the last minute no brakes in the world will save you. this is my opinion of course if he wants better brakes up to him.. :rolleyes:

Jonn,Stop winding the Showboys off,you will be suspended.

Probably got a spare pair of Brembo Lime Green Covers that assist their Head to Swell like a Calliper.:whistling:

Jonn,Stop winding the Showboys off,you will be suspended.

Probably got a spare pair of Brembo Lime Green Covers that assist their Head to Swell like a Calliper.:whistling:

Whats your post all about then?? have not got a scooby do what it is all about?? lol

I think its all about putting Lipstick on a Pig.:bah:

So what do you drive ?

Have you ever driving a race tuned pickup ?

Or do you just ride you pig all day ? :lol:

The performance and handling that can be reached with todays diesel pickups is nothing short of outstanding and will make many performance petrol/turbos look and feel slow. I am sure most of us would prefur a nice powerful sedan but for the most part they are out of mosts peoples price range.

late 2008 upwards, has larger front discs and larger rear drums, stops from 100kmh in only 43 meters on stock tyres.

upgrading rear only, will make ABS kick in more frequently which will increase braking distance.

better than playing with rear brakes only, is to go for Yokohama tyres or similar quality, will probably brake less than 40 meters with stock brakes

disagree

being able to stop one meter/ 3 feet sooner, can save 3 pedestrians life, or the life of 3 kids running after a ball

The fortuner Does not have rear Disc's it has drum's. And every one will tell you that the early one's stopping wise were crap. Their later model's one of which I have, have upgraded one's and as stated are very good. But the Fortuner is a big lump If you hadn't noticed. And I think the upgrade is well worth the extra price what ever that is for my life. How many time's at just 50 kmph have you had a dick head on a M/C do something stupid in front of you. Let alone at 100kmph. And as far as all Fortuner driver's being crazy just get in front of a Mini bus and see how they perform. If you ask me how I drive as far as tail gateing go's I would never do it ever. I consider myself a good driver, but when your up against Thai crazy one's if all else fail's the best brake's you can get are a MUST. Edited by fredob43

late 2008 upwards, has larger front discs and larger rear drums, stops from 100kmh in only 43 meters on stock tyres.

upgrading rear only, will make ABS kick in more frequently which will increase braking distance.

better than playing with rear brakes only, is to go for Yokohama tyres or similar quality, will probably brake less than 40 meters with stock brakes

The rear disc's conversion kit sold is designed to complement the upgraded disc's on the front. So the ABS bit would not be a problem.

The rear disc's conversion kit sold is designed to complement the upgraded disc's on the front. So the ABS bit would not be a problem.

says the seller ;)

any increase in rear brake power will make ABS kick in earlier and increase braking distance on dry paved road. Adjustments to load valve and ABS needed to compensate, and I wouldnt let anyone near any of them if not vehicle is on rollers with different loads and speeds to see any improvement

perhaps do they sell rear discs not increasing braking power, the advantage will be ability to perform more number of brakings before heating, and faster cooling.

but as Fortuna/Vigo 2009- already manages 3 times 100-0kmh with an average of 43 meters, rear larger drums seem to have sufficient cooling for these speeds

single most efficient way to stop better on a vehicle with adequate brakes, better tyres. wet and dry stop

I love tech upgrades, but with all the clowns to be found in LOS garages, and the lack of objective testing following "upgrades", I just want to make sure it is an upgrade, not a downgrade

says the seller ;)

any increase in rear brake power will make ABS kick in earlier and increase braking distance on dry paved road. Adjustments to load valve and ABS needed to compensate, and I wouldnt let anyone near any of them if not vehicle is on rollers with different loads and speeds to see any improvement

perhaps do they sell rear discs not increasing braking power, the advantage will be ability to perform more number of brakings before heating, and faster cooling.

but as Fortuna/Vigo 2009- already manages 3 times 100-0kmh with an average of 43 meters, rear larger drums seem to have sufficient cooling for these speeds

single most efficient way to stop better on a vehicle with adequate brakes, better tyres. wet and dry stop

I love tech upgrades, but with all the clowns to be found in LOS garages, and the lack of objective testing following "upgrades", I just want to make sure it is an upgrade, not a downgrade

I make you right I shall make lot's of enquire's before I have the job done. Thank's for the input, nice to get sensible reply's other than the Dick head one's from some peep's. You put an enquiring post in and they come out of the wood work. Once again many thank's.

says the seller ;)

I make you right I shall make lot's of enquire's before I have the job done. Thank's for the input, nice to get sensible reply's other than the Dick head one's from some peep's. You put an enquiring post in and they come out of the wood work. Once again many thank's.

Yes if the ABS is activating with standard brakes I don't seem how braking distance will be reduced with better brakes alone. They definately need to be complemented with better performance tyres, as was mentioned in this thread. Braided brake lines will also enhance pedal feel.

as for the 100-0 = 43 metres, anyone have stats on 120 - 0, 160 - 0?? Braking distance increase dramatically, but wonder how braking distance is affected by better brakes at these speeds.

says the seller ;)

JBT will only do complete package consisting of front & rear, not the rear on it's own, perhaps because of the ABS issues previously mentioned. Their conversion also retains the original style drum handbrake, not an additional caliper such as the Run Stop conversion.

as for the 100-0 = 43 metres, anyone have stats on 120 - 0, 160 - 0?? Braking distance increase dramatically, but wonder how braking distance is affected by better brakes at these speeds.

I have no stats, but

cruising 160kmh, tyres are warmer, providing better grip, partly compensating. One stop from 160 kmh in 2009- Vigo/Fortuna is acceptable. It used to be terrible pre 2009 model, actually f-cking scary :unsure: .

Needs cooling down before next attempt tho, but so do usually I need ;)

So get it rolling asap to cool down, but avoid 160kmh for a couple of minutes :)

I have no stats, but

cruising 160kmh, tyres are warmer, providing better grip, partly compensating. One stop from 160 kmh in 2009- Vigo/Fortuna is acceptable. It used to be terrible pre 2009 model, actually f-cking scary :unsure: .

So get it rolling asap to cool down, but avoid 160kmh for a couple of minutes :)

Have just got an email from BJ Motor's Seem's the rear one's disc size is 320mm same as the front set up on the new Fortuner. They state that you need to increase the front one's to 350mm disc's as well, other wise there could/will be problem's Their cost if any one want's to know is 29,500bt for the rear and 15,000bt for the front's all fitted. Question how big are the disc's on your JBT set up. I will be making a trip to BKK to see their set up and talk about all before I have anything done. Thank once again for all the info regarding same. Edited by fredob43

The rear drums on a vehicle are perfectly adequate unless you are on a race track and need the better heat dissipation the disks give you.

Have you ever seen any tests comparing disks versus drums? I would bet the drums would show better overall performance because they are designed for that particular vehicle.

I am of the opinion that converting is dangerous as well as a waste of money.

Gary - brave of you to stick your head over the parapet.

You have mistakenly just waded into the Fortuner love in club. (Its my money and I will do with it I want etc).. Standby for a lots of incoming flack. What I find amusing is a certain expert on the motoring forum bragging constantly about bombing everywhere at 160 kph and then informing all & soul about how illegal this& that is etc etc-

rolleyes.gif

In the meantime I'm off to look at the Swedish phrase for "contradictory t*at" .

ph34r.gif

Edited by phutoie2

Gary - brave of you to stick your head over the parapet.

You have mistakenly just waded into the Fortuner love in club. (Its my money and I will do with it I want etc).. Standby for a lots of incoming flack. What I find amusing is a certain expert on the motoring forum bragging constantly about bombing everywhere at 160 kph and then informing all & soul about how illegal this& that is etc etc-

rolleyes.gif

In the meantime I'm off to look at the Swedish phrase for "contradictory t*at" .

ph34r.gif

I like your new avatar. Is that Green King IPA. :licklips:

Must admit my Vigo would have ''shaky'' probs to reach 160. :D

I have no stats, but

Have just got an email from BJ Motor's Seem's the rear one's disc size is 320mm same as the front set up on the new Fortuner. They state that you need to increase the front one's to 350mm disc's as well, other wise there could/will be problem's Their cost if any one want's to know is 29,500bt for the rear and 15,000bt for the front's all fitted. Question how big are the disc's on your JBT set up. I will be making a trip to BKK to see their set up and talk about all before I have anything done. Thank once again for all the info regarding same.

320 or 330 rear, I forget now, and 380 front. You need 18 - 20 inch rims for this conversion on the rear. For the 380 front , you need 20 inch. Your Sportivo has 18's I believe, if it is standard. There are smaller diameter front brake options available for the 18 inch wheel that you are possibly running. The quality of the JBT rotors is 1st class which along with quality tyres and pads is critical to the overall package. It might be wise to check the material of the Runstop rotors compared with others. If you do some research, you may well be quite surprised as to which OEM's they supply. In other words, same product presented differently.

I have no stats, but

Have just got an email from BJ Motor's Seem's the rear one's disc size is 320mm same as the front set up on the new Fortuner. They state that you need to increase the front one's to 350mm disc's as well, other wise there could/will be problem's Their cost if any one want's to know is 29,500bt for the rear and 15,000bt for the front's all fitted. Question how big are the disc's on your JBT set up. I will be making a trip to BKK to see their set up and talk about all before I have anything done. Thank once again for all the info regarding same.

320 or 330 rear, I forget now, and 380 front. You need 18 - 20 inch rims for this conversion on the rear. For the 380 front , you need 20 inch. Your Sportivo has 18's I believe, if it is standard. There are smaller diameter front brake options available for the 18 inch wheel that you are possibly running. The quality of the JBT rotors is 1st class which along with quality tyres and pads is critical to the overall package. It might be wise to check the material of the Runstop rotors compared with others. If you do some research, you may well be quite surprised as to which OEM's they supply. In other words, same product presented differently.

Thank's for that yes have 18" that why they suggest 350mm disc on the front as the 18" will just take it ok. Yes will go look and see what they have on offer, If I'm not happy with their set up will not even think about useing them. Question how have you got on with your ABS and have you found them to have been a large improvement. IE worth the cost involved. Thank in advance.