Yingluck: Restoration Of Relations With Cambodia 'A Priority'

webfact

THAI-KHMER TIES

Restoration of relations with Cambodia 'a priority'

By Supalak Ganjanakhundee

The Nation

Restoration of relations with neighbours, notably Cambodia, is a top priority for the new government after the election, Pheu Thai leader and PM-in-waiting Yingluck Shinawatra said yesterday.

Speaking after a meeting with representatives of four other parties, which are willing to join the new government, Yingluck said an urgent task for her government would be to restore bilateral relations with neighbouring countries.

She did not mention the country by name but it was widely understood that ties with Cambodia have soured under the out-going Abhisit Vejjajiva government due to boundary conflicts over the area adjacent to the Hindu temple at Preah Vihear.

Cambodia and observers in the border provinces expected a policy shift after the Pheu Thai Party was elected.

Cambodian Foreign Minister Hor Namhong said: "It's obvious - we cannot hide that we are happy with the Phue Thai Party's victory."

When asked for a response to the election in Thailand, Hor Namhong told reporters that "we hope that a new government that will be formed by Pheu Thai Party will resolve the (border) problem with Cambodia in more positive and peaceful ways and that is what we want.

"Cambodia wants to see the conflict resolved through peaceful means, and justice for both sides, and in which international laws and the ruling in 1962 by the International Court of Justice shall be respected and used as a base."

Border traders at Si Sa Ket province said they hoped relations between Thailand and Cambodia would improve with the new Thai government.

Trade and tourism between the two countries has been poor over the past two years due to sour relations between the two governments, Hathachai Pengcham of Si Sa Set border trade association said.

Local residents in Si Sa Ket's Kanthalalak district, close to Cambodia's Preah Vihear province, said they expected a new government under Yingluck would have better relations with Phnom Penh as her brother and former PM Thaksin was a close friend of Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen.

It seemed Cambodian troops at the Preah Vihear temple celebrated Pheu Thai's victory too, they said.

Thailand and Cambodia have been at loggerhead over Preah Vihear temple, as the Abhisit administration opposed Phnom Penh's move to list the temple as a World Heritage site, due to fears Thailand would lose sovereignty over nearby areas.

There was tension also over claims Cambodia was sheltering red-shirt fugitives who fled after unrest in Bangkok last year.

The border conflict led to a major clash in February in which at least eight soldiers and civilians on both sides were killed. The conflict escalated to other areas near Ta Muen Thom temple in late April and caused more injuries and further damage to properties.

The new Thai government needs to make many crucial decisions to solve the conflict as the dispute was taken to key international forums including the United Nations Security Council and Asean.

Cambodia has also asked the International Court of Justice to clarify is 1962 judgement on Preah Vihear. The outgoing government announced last month in Paris its intention to withdraw from the World Heritage body in protest at its handling of the Preah Vihear Temple.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-05

Wow, if she could solve the dispute between Thailand and Cambodia it would not only prove her worth as a politician but also that she is not a puppet for her brother ;) I wonder if she has any close relatives who could help her with this challenge... My guess is that it's already been scripted, as part of a much bigger deal which benefits a certain man, over the interests of an entire country, here we go again...

Wow, if she could solve the dispute between Thailand and Cambodia it would not only prove her worth as a politician but also that she is not a puppet for her brother ;) I wonder if she has any close relatives who could help her with this challenge... My guess is that it's already been scripted, as part of a much bigger deal which benefits a certain man, over the interests of an entire country, here we go again...

Are you sure as Thaskin is a friend of Cambodia that all of this was just a farce to make the Democrats look bad

If Cambodia now changes its future policy and says okay to the new PT government what it wants, so the PT party looks good proves it was all a scam

If it was not a scam then Thailand and Cambodia will still be at the war table and who will give in

This was a non-issue until it fell into the hands of the nationalistic PAD. And the people living in the surrounds have had to have their lives disrupted, a neighbouring country threatened with war, for something I would guess 99.9 of Thais never knew existed. So hardly 'over the interests of an ENTIRE country' Is it. Dear God ...

Cambodia has also asked the International Court of Justice to clarify is 1962 judgement on Preah Vihear. The outgoing government announced last month in Paris its intention to withdraw from the World Heritage body in protest at its handling of the Preah Vihear Temple.

Confusing statement; should read outgoing Thai govt

Edited by Kilgore Trout

So many people complaining about Yingluck yet the political situation is no better in their own country. I know mine (USA) certainly isn't. Puppets, kickbacks, doublespeak are played out wprldwide.

Don't mention the offshore oil, pretend it's all about the temple. <_<

We should stop complaining Pheu Thai party will start the new government. The majority of Thais choose the party and Yingluck, we must learn to respect the people decision. We should give encourage the upcoming government and give good advice to improve the country. I am not on any side of the party but I believe that restoring the economy while it able to help many Thais.

We should stop complaining Pheu Thai party will start the new government. The majority of Thais choose the party and Yingluck, we must learn to respect the people decision. We should give encourage the upcoming government and give good advice to improve the country. I am not on any side of the party but I believe that restoring the economy while it able to help many Thais.

Does the economy need restoring? I thought it was going along quite well.

Wow, if she could solve the dispute between Thailand and Cambodia it would not only prove her worth as a politician but also that she is not a puppet for her brother wink.gif I wonder if she has any close relatives who could help her with this challenge... My guess is that it's already been scripted, as part of a much bigger deal which benefits a certain man, over the interests of an entire country, here we go again...

I reckon its the other way round. Abhisit's gov't were forcing an unnecessarily aggressive stance on a non-issue to try to win over PAD / yellows for the election who were giving them shit on the hard-right/patriotic front. Dems prob' also thought this would appeal to your average red/isaan thai too, who are nowt if they're not nationalistic.

Alas, too little, too late.

Edited by badmedicine

The majority of Thais did not choose the party, although they won the majority of seats.

Maybe you should read up on the indicators for the past year.

Following the election of the PTP, the SET has moved forward and Thailand is now being given more positive investment ratings. Read the financial papers. All that in a day. So much for the collapse of Thailand's economy as predicted by anti PTP foreigners in TVF. The investment community has welcomed the solid mandate returned by the electorate and the statements by the military that it will respect the election results.

The majority of Thais did not choose the party, although they won the majority of seats.

Equally, the majority of Brits did not choose a Labour government in 1974, and a majority of Americans did not choose President Bush in 2000.. Just in case anyone wrongly imagines you are making unfavourable comparisons between Thailand and 'proper' Western governments...

Since the whole border dispute was stirred up by PAD ultra nationalist s for domestic Thai political reasons in 2008, I hardly see any blame can attach to Cambodia in this dispute.

So, while I'm not a PT supporter, the fact that they are planning to calm things down can only be good news, and I applaud the initiative.

Just hope no Thai general get the hump & wants a holiday in Siem Reap with all his division...

Equally, the majority of Brits did not choose a Labour government in 1974, and a majority of Americans did not choose President Bush in 2000.. Just in case anyone wrongly imagines you are making unfavourable comparisons between Thailand and 'proper' Western governments...

the odd one out here is surely the US 2000 election here as not only did George Bush not win a majority but at 47.9% he actually received less votes than the loser, Gore, who gained 48.4% of the votes.

Don't mention the offshore oil, pretend it's all about the temple.

Bingo...give the man a cigar....there is a whole area of Cambodia/Thailand disputed water and no one knows what is down there, gas certainly, normalise Thailand/Cambodia relationships...a joint development area is on the cards...brokered by ?......you guessed it.....proceeds of which end up in the family coffers...:whistling:

Quite, 53% of the seats, but only 44% of the proportional (one-man one-vote) vote, so "The majority of Thais" didn't actually "choose the party and Yingluck".

Don't mention the offshore oil, pretend it's all about the temple.

Bingo...give the man a cigar....there is a whole area of Cambodia/Thailand disputed water and no one knows what is down there, gas certainly, normalise Thailand/Cambodia relationships...a joint development area is on the cards...brokered by ?......you guessed it.....proceeds of which end up in the family coffers...:whistling:

Happily the clan's international-businessman no longer has the worries of holding a public-office, to distract him from the deals, with his old buddy & former-employer Hun Sen. Cigars all round ! B)

Edited by Ricardo

Following the election of the PTP, the SET has moved forward and Thailand is now being given more positive investment ratings. Read the financial papers. All that in a day. So much for the collapse of Thailand's economy as predicted by anti PTP foreigners in TVF. The investment community has welcomed the solid mandate returned by the electorate and the statements by the military that it will respect the election results.

What happened to the SET in the last 2 or 3 weeks? It went down because of the uncertainty of the election results and the expectation of violence after the election.

It has gone back up in the last 2 days because the PTP got a majority which should see a stable political environment for a while.

The movement of the SET in the last month is ONLY related to expectations/concerns about the election and says nothing of the performance of the economy over the last 2 years.

Have a look at the SET over the last 5 years. It was relatively stable during the junta period. It dived under PPP. And then under Abhisit they reached record levels.

post-105410-0-86946600-1309878894_thumb.

So I think you can cut the crap about the "positive" effects of PTP. All it is doing is rebounding from the drop over the last few weeks.

Perhaps part of the investor´s uncertainty stemmed from the Red Agitators relentless prediction of a coup if they'd win or more violence if they didn't, no?

Or are we to forget the climate of fear they created?

Restoration of relations with neighbours, notably Cambodia, is a top priority for the new government after the election, Pheu Thai leader and PM-in-waiting Yingluck Shinawatra said yesterday.

At least one item which is acknowledged as being priority and even 'top' priority. Mind you there are a number of items on the list of promises which might deserve to be named as priority first. Those effecting the economy, labour wages, prices of common goods, inflation, etc., etc. With pressure off, no war in sight, Cambodia can be safely ignored for the moment I would think :unsure:

Edited by rubl