Abandoned Buildings?

mengrai

MrBrad:

I was thinking of the same site. It's been unfinished since at least 1994. Seems to be leaning off center...maybe that's why it's abandoned. Here's the location on Wikimapia.

Yep, that's it! I went and checked it out yesterday. You can't go in through the golf course/housing development because there's a big wall and a security guard in front of it, but I think he's just there to make the rich people feel safe. If you follow the road around the outside you can just walk right in. I ran into some Tai Yai dudes drinking whiskey on the second floor, but they were just hanging out and didn't mind at all.

The building itself is super cool. There's a lot of rebar and crap sticking out of the floors and the walls so you have to be really careful about where you step, and on the higher floors there's no railing whatsoever, but on the whole it seems structurally sound (I didn't feel like I was going to fall through the floor). The roof is amazing at sunset. The golf course is beautiful and you can see Chiang Dao. Photos attached!

Special thanks to CobraSnakeNecktie for pointing this out. There's no way in hell I would have found it otherwise.

post-106772-0-09365000-1310051148_thumb.

post-106772-0-12407300-1310051189_thumb.

post-106772-0-33991500-1310051212_thumb.

post-106772-0-75204800-1310051228_thumb.

post-106772-0-95240200-1310051281_thumb.

Paste the coordinates in Google Earth for a bird view:

Large abandoned condo building: 18°53’16.19”N; 99°05’58.99”E

Large abandoned administration building of a never built but properly prepared moobaan: 18°40’16.66”N; 99°06’24.96”E

rebo - wonderful, those look great. Extra points for exact coordinates. The first one must be what jaideeguy and Flatouthruthefog are talking about - I would have never guessed that place is abandoned from the satellite photos. Thanks!

a long way from Chiang Mai - but loosely on topic - saw this news item today

Nazi resort becomes youth hostel

Originally built as the world's biggest hotel, stretching along 4.5km of one of Germany's best beaches with 10,000 rooms, it was never used as a holiday resort for the masses in World War Two or afterwards although it was used by the military.

5256479.jpg

loosely on the topic . . . as many of the buildings i have seen have been uncompleted hotels from the late 1990s - would they be 'beyond repair' after maybe 15 yrs?

Anyone ever seen one that has been resurrected from that long ago?

There's one hotel up the coast from us, on the way to Rayong, 15 storey and at a guess over 200 rooms, it can't have been too far off being finished - the glass is in, and there's a sole security guard living in the reception/foyer area. Hard to imagine any investor taking on a building like that.

Here's another given-up hotel on the outskirts of C'buri city.

Would these properties be owned by banks/finance companies?

Sadly lots of times it is a saving face thing and the old owners want just too much for it. thjey want their cost back + profit.

I have seen this time and time again on projects that could be taken over, but no, the cost just makes it unrealistic. Why pay more for someone elses failure than to start out new

And I thought I was the only one doing this for the last 30 year or so all over the world

Every morning I take my daughter to school then drive to work a different way looking for buildings like this.

My wife at first thought I was crazy but now too sometimes takes a look here and there

There are at least 3 empty condos in Chang Khyen area which Lily Court is the most obvious one (16 floor pink building that is visible from Canal Rd). All tough there is security guy working occasionally here... and it has fence around.

There are 2 more further towards the mountains. Then Maerim near the x-center turn right and past that motocross track there is empty abonded moo bahn with around dozen houses.

There are at least 3 empty condos in Chang Khyen area which Lily Court is the most obvious one (16 floor pink building that is visible from Canal Rd). All tough there is security guy working occasionally here... and it has fence around.

There are 2 more further towards the mountains. Then Maerim near the x-center turn right and past that motocross track there is empty abonded moo bahn with around dozen houses.

The Lily is being redone as the Star Palace...

I suppose one could dress up like a construction dude and blend in.

Former Lily and now Star Palace

are they doing it for real? I mean have they actually done something else than the crappy website =)

Im really surprised.... as its been like that for ages! And that place had interesting stories... which perhaps 5% where true =)

Anyway there are 4 condos that I believe are pretty much empty.. one is half done here http://maps.google.com/?ll=18.823472,98.952219&spn=0.002122,0.004131&t=h&z=19

then there is also 1 private house there...

are they doing it for real? I mean have they actually done something else than the crappy website =)

Im really surprised.... as its been like that for ages! And that place had interesting stories... which perhaps 5% where true =)

Anyway there are 4 condos that I believe are pretty much empty.. one is half done here http://maps.google.com/?ll=18.823472,98.952219&spn=0.002122,0.004131&t=h&z=19

then there is also 1 private house there...

I drove by and was surprised to see actual significant construction activity. Take a look.. I think they are doing quite a bit of work.

Abandoned MooBaan near hang dong 18°39'10.17"N 98°53'32.99"E

Unsold Houses from the King 2km past abandoned moobaan 18°38'53.72"N 98°52'12.17"E

Am I missing something here?

This is the second time you mentioned house from the King.

Do you mean Ban Ua Atorn?

9423dc921fe08e28615ce92f8bf293f5.jpg

Old disco, massage, etc next to the Old Chiang Mai Cultural Center (tepenet?). Or the original old city of Chiang Mai (Wiang Kun Kam)

Made this pics there few months ago:

c4f7e85c49fff0105d44f465a4b9d86a.jpg

I remember going there when it was an active disco in the late 80's, early 90's.

The adjacent massage used to be pretty hot also.

And I thought I was the only one doing this for the last 30 year or so all over the world

Every morning I take my daughter to school then drive to work a different way looking for buildings like this.

My wife at first thought I was crazy but now too sometimes takes a look here and there

Thirty years? Wow, I'm impressed. Any photo collection for a book, as suggested by another Poster here?

The nearest place to the city centre I know is "the ghost hotel", as it's known locally. Facing Superhighway on the city side, very close to the junction with the old Borsang/Sankampaeng Road. Like the one on the rural road off the 118 at km 9, built but never fitted out.

I'd be fascinated in a chat about this, especially buildings in other countries.

A former girlfriend in UK was a member of a group that explored derelict castles and very old mansions. First person to see the place would take lots of exterior photos, then the group would count all the windows. When the group went to visit, they'd take as many white pillow cases as they could, go inside and hang one out of every window.

When you stood back outside and saw the window with no pillow case, you've just found the secret room!

• 4 weeks later...

There has recently been some signs of activity on this building with the yellow roof on the outskirts of Chanthaburi city (near the abandoned hotel in pic 2, mentioned in earlier post).

Grounds have been leveled, cleared of rubbish, security fences put up - but no sign of any actual work taking place.

I thought it was intended to be some kind of soundstage/theatre, but turns out it is to be for the local gem trade - museum, markets/shops, laboratory.

It hasn't been 'abandoned' for as as long as other pics in this thread - told by a neighbouring shopkeeper 4-5 years, money issues. It looks in good condition (from a distance anyway) and I tend to doubt the 4-5yr estimate.

Optimistically the billboard we saw for the first time today suggests it will be complete before the end of this year. Unusual location it's a few km from the city centre.

As they say - watch this space!

Edited by Atmos