ID Cards For Thai Children Issued From July 10

webfact

ID cards for children issued from July 10

By The Nation

30159673-01.jpg

Authorities are preparing to visit schools from next week to issue national identification cards for children aged between seven and 14 years old there.

"Such preparations are included in our implementation plans," Department of Provincial Administration (DPA) deputy director-general Niran Kanlayanamit said yesterday.

Starting from July 10, district offices will also issue national identification cards for children. The move is in response to the 2011 National Identification Card Act, which requires that Thais aged between seven and 70 years carry the cards.

Of the Thai population, about 8 million are between seven and 14 years old. Before this act takes effect, only Thais above 15 years old age were required to carry national ID cards.

"It will be easier for children to access government services. They can just produce their national identification cards alone. No need to carry birth certificates and household registrations," Niran said, "It will also lower the risk of Thai children's identity being stolen by alien children".

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-07

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(reposted since my thread on topic closed despite it preceding this one)

I personally have no objection to the issuing of these ID cards - though can imagine there'll be quite a business generated in issuing lost cards, and the requirement to carry them - at all times?

One more piece of info to fill out when taking children on domestic flights . . . and from then on every document involving a child.

As they are going to be very careful in not issuing them to 'aliens', I presume there be no problems for children of mixed relationships as long as a Thai birth cert is available to prove child is a Thai citizen.

8 million cards to issue; no timeframe given.

Maybe it will go well, the logistics of getting to all the isolated rural areas and rounding up the kids are frightening.

Watch this space.

Edited by Atmos

Niran said, "It will also lower the risk of Thai children's identity being stolen by alien children".

My dog have more senses than this xenophobic moron. :bah:

Yeah, mine too and it's an idiot labrador...........

This ID cards idea is insane.

I agree that indeed it could help to counter human trafficking as well, if they interpret it in that way, but we are so used to hear lamentable comments from authorities!

Edited by jpp2bkk

Niran said, "It will also lower the risk of Thai children's identity being stolen by alien children".

A bit harsh there - The Martians living round my area are real parasites. High time something was done about them.

And what will happen if a child doesn't carry his/her id card with them?

I know very few 7-12 year olds responsible enough to keep track of an id card.

Seems like another typical scheme with no thought put into it; TIT

Probably nothing. It is just a useful piece form of identification to have when living in Thailand.

I've basically never been randomly asked for my Thai ID card. The only time I show it is if I'm using it with officialdom. Expect the same to happen with kids.

For me, it is a 'making life easier' issue. Others will disagree, I am sure.

Probably to better identify the alien kids from neighbouring countries (including hill tribe kids) who, unscrupulously, misuse Thai educational and medical facilities, while encroaching on Thai soil, breathing Thai air... :ph34r:

ID for kids.

who keeps the id mum dad or the children. And when would this ID be used, to go to school or Shopping centre to show when riding a motor bike or to show when they are on there bikes. why not just issue these kids with Books and pencils so they can learn.??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????/ :)

Identies stolen by alien children? Or by aliens? Niran obviously lives on another planet. And as for obviating the need to carry around their birth certificates and house registrations . . . just how many seven year olds does Niran seriously think carry such documents with them? At least with ID cards, there will be less to be lost - of which there will undoubtedly be several hundred at any given time. And questions the government trust the average Thai won't ask: are we talking standard cards, or chipped cards? In which case, just what information will be included on my child; and be accessible by whom?

Edited by JohnAllan

What is it with those folks who think 'alien' is the wrong word to use?

alien

- 8 dictionary results

al·ien

   [eyl-yuhn, ey-lee-uhn]

–noun

1. a resident born in or belonging to another country who has not acquired citizenship by naturalization ( distinguished from citizen).

2. a foreigner.

3.a person who has been estranged or excluded.

–adjective

5. residing under a government or in a country other than that of one's birth without having or obtaining the status of citizenship there.

6. belonging or relating to aliens: alien property.

7. unlike one's own; strange; not belonging to one: alien speech.

Origin:

1300–50; Middle English < Middle French < Latin aliēnus, equivalent to *alies- ( ali-, base of alius other + -es- noun suffix) + -nus adj. suffix

Funny enough, that's one of the methods used by illegal immigrant Chinese and Indians (from about 50-60 years ago to the present). It's a loophole that should be closed (and that's coming from a descendant of Chinese immigrants). There's no reason why you should have no photograph of yourself on record until you're of current ID age. It's not like you can't commit any crimes, father (or bear) children, and yes, show up at age 18 with someone else's documents, parents (whose child has passed away without it being reported and are more than happy to take a 10-50k Baht fee for their trouble) and become an instant citizen.

:)

Edited by Heng

alien

- 8 dictionary results

al·ien

   [eyl-yuhn, ey-lee-uhn]

–noun

1. a resident born in or belonging to another country who has not acquired citizenship by naturalization ( distinguished from citizen).

2. a foreigner.

–adjective

5. residing under a government or in a country other than that of one's birth without having or obtaining the status of citizenship there.

Origin:

1300–50; Middle English < Middle French < Latin aliēnus, equivalent to *alies- ( ali-, base of alius other + -es- noun suffix) + -nus adj. suffix

It i not that the word itself is wrong but the negative connotations it invokes. [in my opinion.]

Probably to better identify the alien kids from neighbouring countries (including hill tribe kids) who, unscrupulously, misuse Thai educational and medical facilities, while encroaching on Thai soil, breathing Thai air... :ph34r:

Ahhhhhhhhh

Those aliens.

I thought the farang kind.....

So sorry?

alien

- 8 dictionary results

al·ien

   [eyl-yuhn, ey-lee-uhn]

–noun

2. a foreigner.

–adjective

Origin:

It i not that the word itself is wrong but the negative connotations it invokes. [in my opinion.]

As a legal term, which is what it is, it has no negative connotations. It's used by the immigration departments of other countries - the USA and the UK being two examples.

Obviously someone in government has a relative who owns a company which makes id cards. Eight million cards will provide a nice little profit.

My son is 8 and loses his lunch box on a regular basis yet he is expected to be responsible for an id card?

This is a country that cannot get motorcyclists (adults mostly) to wear helmets yet expect kids to carry id cards.

As Forest sayd "Stoopid is a stoopid does".

Yea I saw that comment: Niran said, "It will also lower the risk of Thai children's identity being stolen by alien children".

I am still laughing but trying to figure out where that thinking comes from! blink.gifblink.gifblink.gifblink.gif

Yea I saw that comment: Niran said, "It will also lower the risk of Thai children's identity being stolen by alien children".

I am still laughing but trying to figure out where that thinking comes from! blink.gifblink.gifblink.gifblink.gif

A lifetime of parroting nationalistic slogans mixed with education by rote, perhaps?

A lifetime of parroting nationalistic slogans mixed with education by rote, perhaps?

Not sure where Niran gets the idea that it will lower the risk of identity theft.

Isn't it through the use of lost/stolen/sold identity cards, passports and credit cards that identities are stolen?

Seems to me that it will increase the risk of identity theft.

Well, it will make travelling easier, won't have to bring birth certificates, just the ID cards. I can't see our kids actually carrying them around with them, only when they're needed.

Pretty good idea really. Also, there are a lot of people in our area who currently don't have any form of ID card, parents were from Laos, kids went to a temple school, which is now a 'proper' government school, but there are all kinds of ID card issues in the area. I think this will definitely add to the workload at the Amphur, but, hopefully, will confirm the status of quite a few people who would otherwise be stateless, but born and raised as Thai people.

The schools will, hopefully, help everyone to get it all sorted out, when they're adults, they tend not to bother unless they have to. My BIL had to get some kind of temporary paperwork to enable him to travel out of the province as he's never had an ID card (as above, parents from Laos, no paperwork, temple school etc.)

Maybe in the future there won't be quite so many people sitting either side of the police road blocks because they don't have ANY official documents at all! :lol:

Not really.

My mother who lived outside of Thailand for 40 years had her Thai ID stolen. Turns out someone paid for her ID.

It happens more than you think.

Spoke to a friend in rural Sa Kaeo province today, said that the process has already started with kids taking their birth cert and tabien baan to school for photocopying, to have it all prepared for when the mobile ID card people pay a visit.

Huge logistic operation ahead of them.