Snake In My Garden

Now I am not a fan of any snake, but to walk outside and see this monster on my patio was ( well put it this way- new underwear time ) I went next door to get help to remove it. By the time I got back it was in the garden, and even the Thais went into panic mode, and insisted it was killed as it bites and spits. I really cant see that it was a cobra, but they wanted it dead as they said it was poisonous.

Any One Any Ideas ?

post-11711-1129756677_thumb.jpg Snake Alive

post-11711-1129756715_thumb.jpg Snake Being Taken Away

Now I am not a fan of any snake, but to walk outside and see this monster on my patio was ( well put it this way- new underwear time ) I went next door to get help to remove it. By the time I got back it was in the garden, and even the Thais went into panic mode, and insisted it was killed as it bites and spits. I really cant see that it was a cobra, but they wanted it dead as they said it was poisonous.

Any One Any Ideas ?

I thought spitting cobras has a ring around its head . Cool pics thjanks

My experience is that many Thais have irrational fears of snakes....just like many farangs. On a couple of occasions I have seen small harmless (even beneficial) snakes in gardens and when Thais noticed them they went into panic attack mode saying "kill it, kill it, kill it" and making body gestures showing hate and fear. Don't think that because a Thai says to kill a snake that this is the right thing to do.

Any One Any Ideas ?

It's a shame you had it killed...snakes are an important part of the food change and play an important part in keeping down vermin.

There is a culture of fear in Thailand regarding snakes - venomous or not - this results in their wholesale slaughter which apart from being detrimental to the environment is unnecessary and pointless.

I’ve had some wonderful tales told me by both Thais and Farangs about snakes claiming they are venomous when they are not, every snake they see is a spitting cobra! One US chap told me of tree snakes that fall out of trees land on your head and kill you with a bite….except they don’t and they’re harmless….

It might be worthwhile finding out if there is a snake catcher in your area who will come and collect the animal and release them in an environment where they won’t so readily encounter murderous humans.

Any One Any Ideas ?

[

I am no expert but I have compared the picture to those in my Snakes of Thailand book and it looks like a common rat snake, a pretty harmless species.

There is a Thai guy with a polaroid camera down on Walking Street who is very upset because he lost the snake that he uses as a prop to photograph farangs. He had trained the snake to smile when around people.

When the men killed the snake in your yard, did you notice whether the snake had a smile on its face?

100000000000000000% sure I'd kill it.

Then later I may Google it up to see how friendly it was. Not taking chances with snakes around my family. Or dogs, for that matter, and yes I do realize dogs are a bigger threat than snakes, likely.

Dogs are smarter though. If you beat it up once, they know to stay away. With snakes, well, you get the picture. Plus you can eat snakes, whereas few people enjoy eating dog. (esp. not Soi dog).

Next poster who disagrees, please also explain why it's ok to catch and kill fish and chickens but not snakes. Thanks. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

Why ok to kill fish and not snakes? Snakes eat rodents and thus do us a great service. Snakes' habitat is disappearing and I think some are in danger of extinction (not sure of this). Endangered fish should not be killed either. I guess endangered chickens shouldn't be killed either . ahhahahahhahahahahhahaha

killing for eating it is absolut OK.

But a snake is not going into your house with the plan to murder you and your family. If it is left alone or relocated the problem is also solved.

In Thailand there were people killed by elephants or by foreigner but still noone gets the idea to kill all chang and farangs.

The snake only bites you when it worries for its own life, as you are most probably to big to get swallowed down by it. So as you have the bigger brain, it is up to you to solve a meeting with a snake without killing one.

100000000000000000% sure I'd kill it. 

Then later I may Google it up to see how friendly it was.  Not taking chances with snakes around my family.  Or dogs, for that matter, and yes I do realize dogs are a bigger threat than snakes, likely. 

Dogs are smarter though. If you beat it up once, they know to stay away.  With snakes, well, you get the picture.  Plus you can eat snakes, whereas few people enjoy eating dog. (esp. not Soi dog).

Next poster who disagrees, please also explain why it's ok to catch and kill fish and chickens but not snakes.  Thanks. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

I watched a snake show in Patpong some time back. The Thai guy had a number of snakes in the center of a boxing ring. As they would try to get away he would grab their tails and pull them back to the center of the ring. I was nervous about one of them dropping off the stage and into the crowd watching. One of the people watching told me the snakes had their fangs removed. To make a long story short the guy got bit and it was bleeding quite a bit. The next night I went back and asked about the snake handler. The girls told me the snake handler was VERY sick.

Looking at the picture of you’re snake I am pretty sure it is a Common or Keeled Rat Snake, these snakes are non venomous and very common throughout Thailand, they can grow up to 320cm in length, they are often mistaken for Cobras, I believe the Thai name is Ngoo Sing.

not surprising thai are scared of snakes as per year a large number are killed by snakes. especially when in rice fields and on the farms. i took a gal from the thermae 1 night and when she disrobed she had terrible skin grafts and missing skin on legs and thighs. turned out she had been bitten on the ankle by a snake ,beleieve it was a cobra. by the time she was taken to hospital her ankle was gangrenous and the US docs fought to save her leg . she was lucky to live ,but had terrible skin damage and reoccuring health problems due to the snake bite.

Slightly off topic...... but

The previous two threads mention loss of limbs and skin. I saw a piece on Animal Planet (Thailand) last January about a Pit-Viper (Rattlesnake) found in Cambodia, Southern Issan and Southern Laos which when you get bitten you are almost guaranteed to lose something. The most disturbing fact was that it was responsible for more deaths than the Cobra and Krates combined, and I didn't even know it existed......

Sorry, I forgot the name, Duh.............

not surprising thai are scared of snakes as per year a large number are killed by snakes. especially when in rice fields and on the farms. i took a gal from the thermae 1 night and when she disrobed she had terrible skin grafts and missing skin on legs and thighs. turned out she had been bitten on the ankle by a snake ,beleieve it was a cobra. by the time she was taken to hospital her ankle was gangrenous and the US docs fought to save her leg . she was lucky to live ,but had terrible skin damage and reoccuring health problems due to the snake bite.

This is a bit alarmist….yes snakes can cause serious injury and some can kill, but this is no reason to kill them per se….and you need to get things into proportion…..

If you are bitten by a snake, it is then a good idea to kill it then as it will help to identify the animal and effect the correct treatment. - and quickly...

Otherwise they should be captured and released.

Essentially snakes are timid; they sense vibrations of an approaching human and will scuttle off ASAP. If cornered or surprised they may attack or bite. The best prevention is to thump your feet when walking in “snakey” areas to warn them of your approach.

a large number are killed by snakes.

It’s difficult to find any stats on snake bites but it would seem that about 6000 bites a year is a good ball-park figure for Thailand – mostly various Vipers with Cobras coming in at about 20 to 30%. Rice farmers being the number one occupation but when it comes to fatalities the figures are much less dramatic….usually in the teens or twenties (15 to 29) per year.

Education rather than fearand prejudice is the best protection against snake bites, so if you are worried about your local area, get a book, look it up, identify the species, and give them a chance to get out of your way!

Snakes are an essential and useful part of the eco-system, destroying them and listening to horror stories about them achieves nothing.

As a couple of foot notes -

1. - My grandfather could kill 2 birds with one stone it would appear - v. his treatment of snakes that ate his chickens!

post-12660-1129882302_thumb.jpg

post-12660-1129882563_thumb.jpg

2. - You are more likely to be killed by a falling cocnut than as a result of shark attack....

Edited by wilko

killing for eating it is absolut OK.
So what do you think they are going to do with that....have you seen the price of snake meat!!

Personaly I've got nothing agains the things, but most Thai people arent sitting looking at a computer with their "all the snakes in thailand" or whatever book and when you've know people that have actually died from snake bites, then sometimes the sensible option it to identify wether its dangerous by looking at its dead body.

A big one like that around here would be killed as a matter of course, either for eating or selling.

You are more likely to be killed by a falling cocnut than as a result of shark attack....
I've had a near miss with a coconut tree....well the coconut anyway, we've cut all ours down........dont have much problems with sharks here though :o

i don't know about snakes but there is a monitor lizard who appears to be living in my yard. we've seen him a couple of times and then last night we heard him killing something- the sound of shaking something by the neck and then a low growling/gurgling as he chomped it. about the scariest thing i have ever heard. i am going to go look up now if they are carnivorous, and if so i am going to lock up my cat and dog!

The previous two threads mention loss of limbs and skin. I saw a piece on Animal Planet (Thailand) last January about a Pit-Viper (Rattlesnake) found in Cambodia, Southern Issan and Southern Laos which when you get bitten you are almost guaranteed to lose something. The most disturbing fact was that it was responsible for more deaths than the Cobra and Krates combined, and I didn't even know it existed......

The snake is called the Russels Viper and is a very nasty piece of work.Unless anti-venom is applied quickly, the victim is almost sure to lose a part of their anatomy to save themselves from dying.This snake is probably responsible for more deaths in SEA than the Cobra.

Footnote: Never go for a pee in the rice paddies at night. :o

i don't know about snakes but there is a monitor lizard who appears to be living in my yard. we've seen him a couple of times and then last night we heard him killing something- the sound of shaking something by the neck and then a low growling/gurgling as he chomped it. about the scariest thing i have ever heard. i am going to go look up now if they are carnivorous, and if so i am going to lock up my cat and dog!

Dude in Phuket i seen a monitor lizard far scarier than any snake i have seen. viscious and fricken huge , but i bet good eatin !

The snake is called the Russels Viper and is a very nasty piece of work.Unless anti-venom is applied quickly, the victim is almost sure to lose a part of their anatomy to save themselves from dying.This snake is probably responsible for more deaths in SEA than the Cobra.

Footnote: Never go for a pee in the rice paddies at night. :o

Yes the Russell's Viper and Malasian Pit Viper are bloody dangerous things, they grow to 1.5/1 meter respectivly. I also believe it is a Ngoo Sing but the photo is not so clear.

Can any one give me the english name for Ngoo How Maa & Ngoo Gran Prow I believe they maybe the same snake, also are they dangerous?

The Malaysian (SP?) its actually Malayan (or Wagler's) Pit Viper is NOT dangerous! Its about as venomous as a European Viper and they grow to about 0.5 metres. Russell's viper on the other hand is a nasy piece of work and should be left well alone!

The snake in the OP's pics looks for all the world like a ratsnake.

Shame such a magnificent creature had to be killed but if you want to be overrun with vermin then carry on killing them.

At least I bet it went straight in the pot which is some consolation.....

is that the hideous looking lizard with dark rings on its body and suckerson its feet?

big orange eyes on a grey white body. once it gets a grip on something it wontlet go.

i had one on my wall some time back ,threw a shoe at it ,it missed by a few inches but it wasnt fazed at all. i have seen photos of these lizards locked on to a pole and they wont let go.

i had a cobra in my garden which was killed by the neighbours then chopped up with some lemon grass and fried . they said it was delicious .

you see thais in rural areas with spirit tattoos on their lower legs to ward off snake bites.

if thais in rural areas do get bitten they dont have much chance of survival ,as getting to a hospital with the correct ID of the snake is not easy .they are already superstitious of many things so a snake bite is a worry.

there used to be a guy at Klong Toey who sold cobra gall bladder and blood into some whiskey and ice . he ripped them apart after grabbing 1 from the cage and milked the blood and innards into a blender . the chinese like this cocktail. dont know if he is still there.

yeah the monitor lizard in my yard is about 4 1/2 feet long. creepy little ######er. he runs extremely fast also. luckily i am moving at the end of the month.

here's a picture

i usually see pythons or tree snakes in thailand, but once i saw a huge cobra (i think) that reared back and spit at my motorbike as i passed. pretty impressive.