I Watched Some Very Bad Documentaries About Thailand, Im Kinda Paranoid To Go Now...

gdesu1

I wouldnt mind betting that most of your horror stories are centred around the cess pits of Pattaya and Phuket where tourists traps and criminality is probably at its worst.

Thailand has its problems like any other country, and also like others for the majority of the time is no real problem.

Like anywhere it has its good and bad places, dont right off an entire country because of one or two areas.

I have been out here over 5 years now and only once even spoke to a Policeman, that was in Chiang Mai too...hahaha...I wasnt wearing a seat belt and had to pay 200 baht, !!!

Thailand is peaceful, live and let live with minmal rules and alot of freedom to live your life which is exactly what attracts so many from the "Nanny states" in the west.

I have been in Pattaya for 8 years now,not one problem,i assume u are a bangkok silly boy

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't come, too many farangs here anyway ... The more we are the more scam victims they will be ...

By that logic, maybe it's time you packed a bag, and...

Oh, but you except yourself from the 'too many farangs', is that it?

Paraphrasing Groucho, "Nobody goes to Thailand anymore - it's too crowded (with farangs)...", LOL.

usually 200 baht settles the situation and you get a big smile and a salute when you start off to commit more traffic offenses.

So you are advising someone who has never been to Thailand before to atempt to bribe the police; well done :clap2:

Is that legal (to bribe cops)? Isn't discussing things which are illegal against forum rules?

I wouldnt mind betting that most of your horror stories are centred around the cess pits of Pattaya and Phuket where tourists traps and criminality is probably at its worst.

Thailand has its problems like any other country, and also like others for the majority of the time is no real problem.

Like anywhere it has its good and bad places, dont right off an entire country because of one or two areas.

I have been out here over 5 years now and only once even spoke to a Policeman, that was in Chiang Mai too...hahaha...I wasnt wearing a seat belt and had to pay 200 baht, !!!

Thailand is peaceful, live and let live with minmal rules and alot of freedom to live your life which is exactly what attracts so many from the "Nanny states" in the west.

Cess pit of Phuket???

You are ridiculous. I get so P.O.'s over these repetitive negative comments about where I live happily, without a single personal incident of criminality or being duped by a tourist trap.

Headgame don't let CharlieH get to you regarding his opinion of Phuket, he consistently makes negative posts about it. Clearly his experience is in Katoey's-R-Us bar on Bangla and that's about it.

OP- you'll be fine, sounds like your job will be a lot of fun too. C'mon over and have a blast.

"I already knew alot of bad things about thailand wich i was prepared for but this seems like something you cant do anything about, when i had seen this i got kind off paranoid to go.

Yesterday and today i have seen some tv series about thailand, unfortunately mostly bad things about the system, police, criminality, corruption and how sometimes innocent tourist get arrested for minor things without any evidence and go to jail without trial and sometimes they even stay there for weeks or months before they get out, while they didnt do ANYTHING wrong!

Now i have seen and read alot of these cases, i dont even want to mention them but i have seen alot of innocent people getting acused by the thai police for something they didnt do (probably because they want money), then those people rot in jail for months without getting a trial, this is seriously very wrong and now i am scared of running into something uncontrollable like that."

Sounds like he is talking about America not Thailand. a few years back I went for a visit, was held by ICE (Immigration and customs) was told my US passport was fake and I would be deported. I asked where ? A few days later and now at my 7th federal holding center a friend who was a cop noticed me and asked what I was doing there ? An hour later I was released 3 hours away from where I started with out my belongings nothing more said

"I already knew alot of bad things about thailand wich i was prepared for but this seems like something you cant do anything about, when i had seen this i got kind off paranoid to go.

Sounds like he is talking about America not Thailand. a few years back I went for a visit, was held by ICE (Immigration and customs) was told my US passport was fake and I would be deported. I asked where ? A few days later and now at my 7th federal holding center a friend who was a cop noticed me and asked what I was doing there ? An hour later I was released 3 hours away from where I started with out my belongings nothing more said

Huh? So coincidentally enough at the 7th Fed building you were held at you had a friend who was a cop? Feds work in Fed buildings, cops work out of police stations.

This sounds like complete B.S.

What you have to understand is that:

Thais have a different religion

Thais have a different alphabet

Thais have a different way of thinking about life

Thais have never been colonised by any Western country so that the assumptions that you make as a Westerner are irrelevant here

Thais are not European!

As you've been told more than once Thailand isn't Europe. If you arrive in Thailand expecting the same orderly, organised life that you live in the Netherlands you are going to be MIGHTY disappointed. You're also going to miss all the fun that Thailand has to offer. On your way over you ought to keep the words 'surreal' and 'bizarre' at the front of your mind. That way you'll be prepared.

Start with this in mind - It will make a completely different outlook on your trip. What is normal in the 'west' is usually irrelevant, inverted, or non existant

When come to realise above and fit with the local way of life you will love it

dave

Since you are so easily impressed by television it is probably safer if you stay home.

not realy, in fact i actually stopped watching tv because its crap most of the time and has alot of controlled news and media, we often only see the bad things i know that, but in those shows about thailand, aside from the beauty and relaxing side there were almost nothing but realy crazy messed up and corrupt events wich destroyed peoples lives.

@ozzie, that just makes me laugh, seriously i am not scared or soft for alot of things at all, in fact i had a pretty hard life, experienced realy bad and crazy things that i wouldnt want others to go trough, and been trough alot of SH*T, so even though i had such a messed up life before i still managed to achieve some great things and my life is going in a VERY good direction now as musciian, so.. no i am not easily scared at all but i wouldnt realy want to see my bright future colapse because of some stupid mistake by the police.

and its not that i am easily impressed by tv, usually thats not the case because i am often very skeptical, but these stories about thailand were all true events and were realy crazy.

i can only Hope dat it was a big colletion of the things that RARELY happen but according to the show it happens alot and the system is messed up, if they think you did something while they dont even have evidence your going to jail without any trial or whatsoever.

and the guy that though i might be a criminal, NO.

i am planning to do everything perfectly legal and i spent alot of time sorting everything out, i dont need illigal SHIT, i make more than enough money with my creer i dont need to sell drugs.

i just wouldnt want my whole life to be destroyed because of some crazy police with crazy ideas.

This place is nice. For a holiday.

Huh? So coincidentally enough at the 7th Fed building you were held at you had a friend who was a cop? Feds work in Fed buildings, cops work out of police stations.

This sounds like complete B.S.

And they threatened him with deportation but didn't know what country he was from? After 3 days they released him but kept his belongings?

It seems to me this could be a fairly major news story and possibly a major lawsuit.

If it were true...

I wouldn't claim to know that it isn't it but I rather doubt it (at least not as its been told here).

Edited by SteeleJoe

Me thinks the OP had better brace himself.

There was an American chap on here some time ago, asking if Bangkok was safe for travel and asking whether he should postpone his trip for a few months. That thread ended up going for 12 pages with posters calling him every name under the sun.

Nincompoop,Ninny and Nitwit...from memory...just to name a few :rolleyes:

I think i remeber that thread.... Think i might have added best to stick your lips on the safety of your mamas nips rolleyes.gif

usually 200 baht settles the situation and you get a big smile and a salute when you start off to commit more traffic offenses.

So you are advising someone who has never been to Thailand before to atempt to bribe the police; well done :clap2:

Is that legal (to bribe cops)? Isn't discussing things which are illegal against forum rules?

I think the OP may have realised that it is illegal for a Farang to work as a DJ. If he hasn't realised it yet he is a bit on the dull side. He claims to know some people at clubs and they would be the ones to advise him but since he is on TV I am assuming he actually knows no one in the business in Thailand.

The OP seems to know nothing about Thailand, yet, is planning to come and live here.

His situation must be bad in his own country if he is willing to pack up and leave and find the need to ask on a forum what it`s like here.

Things must be pretty bad in his own country?

Edited by Beetlejuice

The OP seems to know nothing about Thailand, yet, is planning to come and live here.

His situation must be bad in his own country if he is willing to pack up and leave and find the need to ask on a forum what it`s like here.

Haha, please dont make me laugh these 2 last posts are laughable seriously.

Things bad in my country because i want to go to Thailand for a few months? i plan to go all over asia eventually, i just go thailand for a few months and spend time with my friend while contiueing my work.

My life is in fact great here, i make 4000 euros a month if not more with the hobby that i love, with just 2 nights dj'ing in a week, the rest of the week i play piano and make music wich i love, my dreams in life are to continue music production, travel alot, and going on with dj'ing because i love it, so you see thats the reason why i want to continue my music while in thailand (not just thailand but everywhere i go), because its my Lust and life.

Originally my plan was to dj in Greece and Spain this year, but i changed it to Asia because i already dj'd there last summers, so starting with Thailand, and Yes i do already have contact with clubs, i am just not sure about the laws regarding working as a musician in thailand (it should be possible because there are alot of foreign dj's in high quality thai clubs) and dont tell me that they are all ilegally working.

You dont know me, Yet you talk like that (makes me think you suck at life yourself and are jealouse maybe and want to troll my question?)

I dont want to spread my real name here on this forum because i am just trying to get information here and dont want to look like a jerk here to people that know me because i am explaining how great my life is,but i am sure that "some" of you have heared my songs before.

well anyway, so you see, i dont want to risk running into weird events that will ruin my life wich is finally going in a BIG direction with music.

Yes i have contact with thai clubs and i am sure they would hire me, but someone on here says its illegal for a dj to work in thailand? now thats weird, that would make thailand the only country in the world in wich its illegal to dj as a foreigner, i dont know if you come out of an Egg or something but in the Clubbing scene, clubs SCREAM for foreign DJ's, especially from europe because european djs are the best.

Sorry for this cocky post but it is true, i am trying to ask a dam_n question and some pathetic people try to be a smartass and troll, well guess what i laugh at you : )

And thanks to the other people that DID give me a normal helpfull answers, i realy appreciate it thank you.

Edited by gdesu1

Yes i have contact with thai clubs and i am sure they would hire me, but someone on here says its illegal for a dj to work in thailand? now thats weird, that would make thailand the only country in the world in wich its illegal to dj as a foreigner, i dont know if you come out of an Egg or something but in the Clubbing scene, clubs SCREAM for foreign DJ's, especially from europe because european djs are the best.

If these clubs employ foreign DJs then surely they will know the rules better than a bunch of strangers on a forum. Why are you asking us? Why are you not asking them?

Things bad in my country because i want to go to Thailand for a few months? i plan to go all over asia eventually, i just go thailand for a few months and spend time with my friend while contiueing my work.

My life is in fact great here, i make 4000 euros a month if not more with the hobby that i love, with just 2 nights dj'ing in a week, the rest of the week i play piano and make music wich i love, my dreams in life are to continue music production, travel alot, and going on with dj'ing because i love it, so you see thats the reason why i want to continue my music while in thailand (not just thailand but everywhere i go), because its my Lust and life.

Originally my plan was to dj in Greece and Spain this year, but i changed it to Asia because i already dj'd there last summers, so starting with Thailand, and Yes i do already have contact with clubs, i am just not sure about the laws regarding working as a musician in thailand (it should be possible because there are alot of foreign dj's in high quality thai clubs) and dont tell me that they are all ilegally working.

You dont know me, Yet you talk like that (makes me think you suck at life yourself and are jealouse maybe and want to troll my question?)

I dont want to spread my real name here on this forum because i am just trying to get information here and dont want to look like a jerk here to people that know me because i am explaining how great my life is,but i am sure that "some" of you have heared my songs before.

well anyway, so you see, i dont want to risk running into weird events that will ruin my life wich is finally going in a BIG direction with music.

Sorry for this cocky post but it is true, i am trying to ask a dam_n question and some pathetic people try to be a smartass and troll, well guess what i laugh at you : )

And thanks to the other people that DID give me a normal helpfull answers, i realy appreciate it thank you.

I am sure you have had a most colorful and interesting career, but this is not Europe, this is Thailand, a whole new ballgame and no point in trying to equate the two.

There has been many problems here recently with Western DJs and musical performers being arrested and even jailed, especially in Chiang Mai, for breaking the laws regarding foreigners, employment and the professions acts.

Right, to start with, I very much doubt whether the authorities will permit you to perform at strictly Thai establishments and you will require a work permit, even if you are working voluntary.

Performing your music without special permission to do so at a permitted venue and without a work permit, you are likely to be arrested, then jailed or deported.

Welcome to Thailand, land of the free.

Edited by Beetlejuice

SC

Edit: Other people's arrogance is no excuse for abuse.

Edited by StreetCowboy

I read up on Bangkok before I went over there. I read a lot of negative stories surrounding these place. For example, overcharging, robbery committed in broad daylight, corruption, Thai man ganging up on foreigners, foreigners scamming foreigners etc. While I have experienced some of them, there's nothing much to worry about. Example, when I took a cab in Bangkok, the driver told me I need to pay 100 baht to get to my location. I told him to switch on the meter and he complied. The fare ended up to be less than 40% of the proposed fare.

Since you have these information, you can considered that as a precaution or as an alert to what might happen next. Most importantly, keep your Ego at bay and behave respectfully and you shouldn't have any problems. However I only been to Bangkok and never been to other provinces so my experience only applies to Bangkok.

Edited by AngelofDeath

And not forgetting............One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble

Not much between despair and ecstasy

One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble

Can't be too careful with your company

I can feel the devil walking next to me..........;)

Be afraid.....be very afraid. They are all out to get you. You'll be ripped off, beaten, robbed, catch nasty diseases and could well get killed. You should really stay at home.

You left out: civil wars and the old favourite, rape.

To the OP.

In most countries in the world it would not be illegal for the owner of a club to write the name of a visiting artist on a blackboard outside of the club or take the cash for a bar bill and give the patron change or announce new acts on stage. It is illegal in Thailand. It is also illegal to DJ for a foreigner in Thailand or dance at a club in Thailand or be a bouncer in Thailand.

But why take my word for it. There is a reputable law firm that advertises on Thai Visa. Put your money up, ask them and you will get a good opinion on your employment status.

Advice is worth what you pay for it. My free advice would be to go back to school till you have some familiarity with writing the English language you may need that skill to fill out the forms to get a day job. Or go back to your native country and try working there.

Stay and play in Ibiza. You can get yourself in trouble here even if you state that you dont do drugs. DJing and drugs are equivalent in most peoples' minds and especially in the cops' minds. Better not to boast how much money you were/ are making or have, this is Asia, some people may want to take some of your money for themselves and frame you.

Be afraid.....be very afraid. They are all out to get you. You'll be ripped off, beaten, robbed, catch nasty diseases and could well get killed. You should really stay at home.

You left out: civil wars and the old favourite, rape.

He's doing his best, for all our benefit

SC