I Watched Some Very Bad Documentaries About Thailand, Im Kinda Paranoid To Go Now...

gdesu1

In most countries in the world it would not be illegal for the owner of a club to write the name of a visiting artist on a blackboard outside of the club or take the cash for a bar bill and give the patron change or announce new acts on stage. It is illegal in Thailand.

I'd like to nuance these blanket statements a little.

It is illegal if the owner does not have a work permit.

The same thing would also be illegal in the EU or Switzerland without the proper work permit.

Tourists are also not allowed to work in the USA.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be afraid.....be very afraid. They are all out to get you. You'll be ripped off, beaten, robbed, catch nasty diseases and could well get killed. You should really stay at home.

You left out: civil wars and the old favourite, rape.

He's doing his best, for all our benefit

SC

My family now get beaten, raped, robbed and brutally attacked so often that’s it`s become a way of life for us here.

Edited by Beetlejuice

In most countries in the world it would not be illegal for the owner of a club to write the name of a visiting artist on a blackboard outside of the club or take the cash for a bar bill and give the patron change or announce new acts on stage. It is illegal in Thailand.

I'd like to nuance these blanket statements a little.

It is illegal if the owner does not have a work permit.

The same thing would also be illegal in the EU or Switzerland without the proper work permit.

Tourists are also not allowed to work in the USA.

1. Have you ever met a foreign owner of a club with a work permit? 2. As far as I know even if he has one all he can do is train a Thai person to do a job. 3. Check the list of jobs a foreigner can do.

Be afraid.....be very afraid. They are all out to get you. You'll be ripped off, beaten, robbed, catch nasty diseases and could well get killed. You should really stay at home.

You left out: civil wars and the old favourite, rape.

He's doing his best, for all our benefit

SC

My family now get beaten, raped, robbed and brutally attacked so often that’s it`s become a way of life for us here.

I'll not bore you with the whole joke but the punchline is

"... well to be honest, son, I blame you for bringing us to Glasgow"

SC

B)gdesu1 little bird which country do you come from?

I think people have shared their opinion with you, and most of what they have said is correct without a work permit you will not be able to DJ without running the risk of being arrested.

Go to Thialand have fun with all of the 20'somethings maybe stroke a few other things apart from turntables. B)

Nottocus is correct. It's horrible here. Don't come. More importantly, tell your friends not to come. Farangs should simply stay away from Thailand. It's just ghastly. Pure hell. I've been here 10+ years and.....oh nevermind.

Nottocus is correct. It's horrible here. Don't come. More importantly, tell your friends not to come. Farangs should simply stay away from Thailand. It's just ghastly. Pure hell. I've been here 10+ years and.....oh nevermind.

Keep at it. Its worth persevering.

Its particularly dangerous for shaven-headed people in singlets here. They run a high risk of being co-opted into a monastery.

SC

Edit: I don't think the OP is paranoid. I am sure if I could speak Thai I would have overheard people plotting against him...

To the OP.

In most countries in the world it would not be illegal for the owner of a club to write the name of a visiting artist on a blackboard outside of the club or take the cash for a bar bill and give the patron change or announce new acts on stage. It is illegal in Thailand. It is also illegal to DJ for a foreigner in Thailand or dance at a club in Thailand or be a bouncer in Thailand.

But why take my word for it. There is a reputable law firm that advertises on Thai Visa. Put your money up, ask them and you will get a good opinion on your employment status.

Advice is worth what you pay for it. My free advice would be to go back to school till you have some familiarity with writing the English language you may need that skill to fill out the forms to get a day job. Or go back to your native country and try working there.

Firstly, I know an Italian DJ who has worked in the better techno clubs here for over a year.

Secondly 'There is a reputable law firm that (sic) advertises on Thai Visa'. Er, Yah!

To the OP.

In most countries in the world it would not be illegal for the owner of a club to write the name of a visiting artist on a blackboard outside of the club or take the cash for a bar bill and give the patron change or announce new acts on stage. It is illegal in Thailand. It is also illegal to DJ for a foreigner in Thailand or dance at a club in Thailand or be a bouncer in Thailand.

But why take my word for it. There is a reputable law firm that advertises on Thai Visa. Put your money up, ask them and you will get a good opinion on your employment status.

Advice is worth what you pay for it. My free advice would be to go back to school till you have some familiarity with writing the English language you may need that skill to fill out the forms to get a day job. Or go back to your native country and try working there.

Firstly, I know an Italian DJ who has worked in the better techno clubs here for over a year.

Secondly 'There is a reputable law firm that (sic) advertises on Thai Visa'. Er, Yah!

I know a lot of people who work in Thailand. A DJ with a work permit!!! Sure. I don't think we are supposed to discuss how to work illegally in Thailand.

To the OP.

I know a lot of people who work in Thailand. A DJ with a work permit!!! Sure. I don't think we are supposed to discuss how to work illegally in Thailand.

I imagine that there are a lot of performing artists that visit Thailand whose jobs could be done by a bloke from the local karaoke bar.

He could do my job as well, but it would result in catastrophic accidents (maybe the 'but' was not justified there...)

The Work Permit regulations acknowledge, I believe, that experts in whatever field may not be Thai. I imagine David Beckham could get a work permit here, for example. Developing the Thai capability is one of the considerations, If the OP could teach his Thai acolytes to be Ibiza celebrities, then he could get a work permit, I expect.

SC

Though I should not want him to take that as encouragement in any way!

Edited by StreetCowboy

Any info on this?

Let me see if I have this straight. You are planning on moving to Thailand and live there full time,although it appears that you have NEVER been to Thailand. Is that correct?

It appears from reading this thread that you have little or no knowledge of the inner workings of all things Thai.

Perhaps moving to Bourenmouth might be more up your alley as you will get eaten alive in Thailand, being left in a smoldering pile of poo by some opportunistic Thai woman.

Why would you wan to live in a place you have never been in? My friend was in a head on collisions because she was driving on the wronge side of the road. She had been drinking. Thank god no one was hurt. She spend her whole night at the police station filing out paper work. She is an american. The people she hit were thi. She had lived here for about an year or two. She never went to jail or was place in any hand cuffs. I think the storys you have heard are about 150 to 200 years old. Phuket Thailand is the greatests place ever to be. I feel safer here than I do at home. I can leave my stuff on a chair at the beach and when I return from the beautiful waves it's still there, because no one even steals here.

Where do you go to the beach? I can be there tomorrow...

Is it valuable stuff?

SC

Any info on this?

Let me see if I have this straight. You are planning on moving to Thailand and live there full time' date='although it appears that you have NEVER been to Thailand. Is that correct?

It appears from reading this thread that you have little or no knowledge of the inner workings of all things Thai.

Perhaps moving to Bourenmouth might be more up your alley as you will get eaten alive in Thailand, being left in a smoldering pile of poo by some opportunistic Thai woman.

[/quote']

No - he's a world-famous dj and he's been to Europe. He's a celebrity, with a paying job and everything.

SC

Any info on this?

Let me see if I have this straight. You are planning on moving to Thailand and live there full time' date='although it appears that you have NEVER been to Thailand. Is that correct?

[/quote']

Maybe he is into that stuff. If he gets a job as DJ in Nana or Cowboy lots of chance to practice.

To the OP.

I imagine that there are a lot of performing artists that visit Thailand whose jobs could be done by a bloke from the local karaoke bar.

He could do my job as well, but it would result in catastrophic accidents (maybe the 'but' was not justified there...)

The Work Permit regulations acknowledge, I believe, that experts in whatever field may not be Thai. I imagine David Beckham could get a work permit here, for example. Developing the Thai capability is one of the considerations, If the OP could teach his Thai acolytes to be Ibiza celebrities, then he could get a work permit, I expect.

SC

you are not far wrong, and i know many djs who do have work permits, but they are all residents (of both thailand and at the clubs they play) with regular gigs (the double meaning here, too, is appropriate).

As i said earlier, if he were as good as he seems to think he is, he would have very little trouble connecting with someone who could answer his questions and hook him up.

SC

you are not far wrong, and i know many djs who do have work permits, but they are all residents (of both thailand and at the clubs they play) with regular gigs (the double meaning here, too, is appropriate).

As i said earlier, if he were as good as he seems to think he is, he would have very little trouble connecting with someone who could answer his questions and hook him up.

You got me confused. What do you mean by residents of Thailand and the club they play? What kind of Visa do they have? Do they live in the club?

You mean musicians can easily get a work permit if they live in Thailand?

Thais have never been colonised by any Western country so that the assumptions that you make as a Westerner are irrelevant here

Imagine how great this place would be if they would have been. :whistling:

The never ending xenophobia can wear you down sometimes.

Thais have never been colonised by any Western country so that the assumptions that you make as a Westerner are irrelevant here

Ya, like Laos and Cambodia and Burma.

You got me confused. What do you mean by residents of Thailand and the club they play? What kind of Visa do they have? Do they live in the club?

a dj who has a regular night in a club is called a resident. Many of the local foreign DJs in town have work permits. Work permits can be arranged.on an ongoing or per event basis, especilally since clubs and bars generally have a very high ratio of thai to foregin staff.

Edited by nocturn

a dj who has a regular night in a club is called a resident. Many of the local foreign DJs in town have work permits. Work permits can be arranged.on an ongoing or per event basis, especilally since clubs and bars generally have a very high ratio of thai to foregin staff.

Learn something every day. I knew Farang were employed as managers but never heard of one being issued a work permit to perform as a DJ. All those guys who got arrested in Chiang Mai sure missed the boat since a work permit was easy to get. How much does a work permit cost for a one time event? How much for a DJ who wants to work for a couple of months?

Now you've really got me confused. Specifically, you have got me confused with kerryk, whose words you attribute to me by accident, through a mishap in the quote editing

SC

Yes. And they'd make better booze too.

Yes. And they'd make better booze too.

Brings to mind Scotland and Ireland. But hardly worth the price.

This dude is either a troll or severly deluded.

He thinks that at 20 years of age he is gonna rock up in Thailand and get a DJ slot in the top clubs. Dream on pal. I'm sure you'll be fighting off the white skinned hi-so's with a smelly stick. Not.

Do you realise how many other dreamers across the globe dream the same dreams?

You need a reputation and experience to DJ, which at 20 u aint got.

Edited by honkytonklagoon

All the bad things are no less than any countries in the World. My friends are from Rio, they said Thailand is nothing compare to some bad places there. What you have read, existed since I was there as a child and as far as I can remember and will always there forever just like any other places. There are too many beautiful things, nice things, pretty things and sexy things etc. to even compare with the bad things. I do miss Thailand a lot and planning to come back and visit again soon.

I took a moment to look at this thread from a more - objective, yet selfish - perspective. To try and rise above the rhetoric and opinion, and think; what is my honest opinion?

And if the documentaries discouraged him from coming here, then how can they be called "bad documentaries"?

We too rarely express our gratitude for those that have unwittingly helped us, but tonight, to the shit-stirring, trouble-making, interfering busybody journalists, to the taxi touts and jet-ski scammers: THANK YOU.

SC

Its a dangerous place, you'd never make any money, you'd catch aids, the food's too spicey, you'd get thrown in jail - remember, we all have to do our bit ....