Job Stability Makes Thai Civil Servants The Happiest

webfact

Job stability makes civil servants the happiest

By The Nation

Civil servants and state employees enjoy the best mental health compared to people in other industries, a recent survey showed.

State employees registered 33.8 out of 45 possible points on the mental-health scale.

"Having a secure job is good for their mental health," Sirikorn Khaophuthai of the Thai Health Promotion Foundation said.

She was referring to the three-year survey conducted by the Mental Health Department, Mahidol University's Institute for Population and Social Research (IPSR) and the National Statistics Office.

Ranking just after civil servants on the mental-health scale were students with 32.6 points, the self-employed with 32.2 points and farmers with 32.1 points.

"Workers got the lowest score, 30.1 points, because they do not have a stable income and the lack of job security affects their mental health," Sirikorn said, adding that with 31.1 points, housewives and company employees were not much better.

According to Sirikorn, hostile economic and living conditions can cause stress, depression and even suicides. The survey showed that at least one in 10 people have considered suicide at some point in their lives because they are unhappy with their living conditions. As per the survey, from 2005 to 2010, 4.6 out 100,000 people aged 25-59 committed suicide.

"Workers are more prone to kill themselves than people in other occupations. Civil servants have the lowest rate of suicides," she said.

Sirikorn said suicides caused economic and social losses to the country, thus making it necessary for relevant authorities like the Mental Health Department to implement preventative measures.

"Counselling, support from families and communities, as well as life skills can help," she said, adding that people who had strong religious beliefs and came from loving families had good mental health.

From 2005 to 2010, the suicide rate of people between ages 15 and 29 was 2.2 per 100,000. The most common causes for the suicide was heartbreak, learning difficulties and family problems.

Dr Apichat Chamratrithirong from IPSR said divorce, separation, death of a spouse, lack of education, unemployment, lack of land and low income can affect people's mental health.

"The government can help by implementing good economic policies. People can also help themselves by being religious," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-08

dealing with them effects my metal health security, they are the laziest most incompitant group of employees i have ever had the mis fortune to deal with. they are bone idle who sit around eating and talking away to friends on mobiles all day. in the holidays there kids are every where in the offices.

i went all the way to chon buri this week for international driving licence, they lady who should have been working behind the desk was sat with mates eating at 11.30 eventually somebody came, the woman sat said go to pattaya, last year pattaya tol me i had to go there adn did and got it. i hate going to any goverment office and hope new goverment sort them out, Thaskin told them several times take care of your customers you have to work better, hopefully that mentality comes back.

dealing with them effects my metal health security, they are the laziest most incompitant group of employees i have ever had the mis fortune to deal with. they are bone idle who sit around eating and talking away to friends on mobiles all day. in the holidays there kids are every where in the offices.

i went all the way to chon buri this week for international driving licence, they lady who should have been working behind the desk was sat with mates eating at 11.30 eventually somebody came, the woman sat said go to pattaya, last year pattaya tol me i had to go there adn did and got it. i hate going to any goverment office and hope new goverment sort them out, Thaskin told them several times take care of your customers you have to work better, hopefully that mentality comes back.

Second that. Never seen a lazier bunch in my life!

Especially when money is being made from bribery and abuse of power

"Having a secure job is good for their mental health," Sirikorn Khaophuthai of the Thai Health Promotion Foundation said.

" Having a secure job at 7 Eleven making almost nothing is good for their mental health. They got no time to do silly things any more, working 6 days a week......:jap:

If you think civil servants in Thailand are bad try Spain

Add arrogance and good helping of nepotism to the list and stir with an obsession to make themselves completly unapproachable by utilizing advanced IT techniques .

They work hard and are obsessed with maintaining there status and ensuring the customer is ignored.

Viva Espana