Cambodia One-Year Visa

tombkk

I have a blue one-year "extension of stay" sticker in my passport. I guess the Cambodians distinguish between visa and extension of stay just as the Thais do.

Anyway, it's based on business. I am in Cambodia maybe once a month for a couple of days. Am I allowed to do business, or do I need a work permit?

My activities could include (if it were allowed) to check the accounts of my branch office, train my staff, and visit customers for both curtesy calls (existing customers) and sales (potential customers). I don't want to do anything against the law, so advice of what I am allowed to do on this visa is appreciated.

hi tombkk

A one year visa entitles you to work and carry out all kinds of business related activites. I believe the 3, 6 and 9 month visas dont have the working entitlement but only the business entitlement.

So it looks your all covered.........

Edited by boarbaboon

hi tombkk

A one year visa entitles you to work and carry out all kinds of business related activites. I believe the 3, 6 and 9 month visas dont have the working entitlement but only the business entitlement.

I don't understand the difference between "work" and "business related activities". Kindly explain.

hi tombkk

With all due respect then all foreigners working legally in Cambodia has to have a`Foreign Work Permit` which has nothing to do with your Business Visa. It costs US$ 100 per year - the first year it`s US$ 40 extra for the book itself - on top of your yearly business visa. I`ve had a business visa since 5 years and a `Foreign Work Permit` since 2 years.

hi tombkk

I don't understand the difference between "work" and "business related activities". Kindly explain.

As i understand it "business" means meeting potential clients, looking to buying a business etc. and "work" means you are able to work full time and receive a salary or work for your own business.

I do know that you will be able to do what you explained as i have several friends who run businesses work etc on the one year visa. Also there are no other real visas available only the tourist and business, that or you make a $50,000 donation to the king for Khmer citizenship!!

hi tombkk

As i understand it "business" means meeting potential clients, looking to buying a business etc. and "work" means you are able to work full time and receive a salary or work for your own business.

I do know that you will be able to do what you explained as i have several friends who run businesses work etc on the one year visa. Also there are no other real visas available only the tourist and business, that or you make a $50,000 donation to the king for Khmer citizenship!!

@ Boarbaboon

Where do you find the distinctions you explained above as I have never heard about them and would like to see the law reference?

I have several friends doing that as well HOWEVER that does not make it legal - you do need a `Foreign Work Permit` to work legally in Cambodia just as my 18 staff all have a `Khmer Work Book` at U$ 5 per person.

Edited by SnookyGirl

hi tombkk

With all due respect then all foreigners working legally in Cambodia has to have a`Foreign Work Permit` which has nothing to do with your Business Visa. It costs US$ 100 per year - the first year it`s US$ 40 extra for the book itself - on top of your yearly business visa. I`ve had a business visa since 5 years and a `Foreign Work Permit` since 2 years.

Are there requirements as to minimum taxable salary per month for a work permit (as in Thailand)? Minimum capital for the company, and number of local staff?

hi tombkk

Are there requirements as to minimum taxable salary per month for a work permit (as in Thailand)? Minimum capital for the company, and number of local staff?

No No and No - but above questions are actually not relevant in relation to a Foreign Work Permit as you get the same book weather you work in your own company-business or for someone else. The Foreign Work Permits are handled by The Department of Labor in Cambodia.

I have been doing business in Cambodia for over ten years, in Siem Reap. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY I know either running a small business or working for one has bothered with a work permit. While the law does state you must have one there is still zero enforcement of it. About four years ago in Siem Reap, the local labor office did go around to the foreign-owned businesses attempting to get everyone on work permits. Nobody bothered and the office gave up. About the same time the main office in Phnom Penh announced and it was published in the English-language news, that work permits would be required nationwide, other than the announcement nothing ever came of it, either.

My advice is not to bother with it until or unless someone from the government makes you get one. Given that almost nobody has them, the only risk in not having one, is to be told you must get one. So save your money and the hassle.

SnookyGirl, the $5 labor books, I hope your staff paid for them and not you - as that's also the law! And like work permits, very few Cambodians carry these. When the labor dept tried to get my staff to have them they all kind of shrugged their soldiers and grinned and that, like the work permit for me, was the end of that.

Welcome to Cambodia!

You're right goshar - It is the obligation of the staff to provide you with their Khmer Work Book - hence pay for it as well.

As I wrote earlier then many/most Barang do not have A Foreign Work Permit however legally you are required to.

The Labor Department of different provinces also seem unequally strict enforcing Labor Laws/collecting 'extra pay' and as usual Sihanoukville is high on the list....