Washing Machine Advice

nong38

I am looking to buy the thai g/f a washing machine, she will have the final word but I need a bit of advice. I am thinking top loader about 8-10kg so I can get the duvet in it.No wanting an expensive machine but reliable. A lot of machines made in Thailand from foreign maunfacturers are they made to the same standards, I have heard than a model made in say Japan or Korea is better any thoughts? As far as brands are concerned I have had had Toshiba and always happy and the same with Sharp, dont see much Sharp about but there are some on a good price locally. Not over keen on Samsung and not sure about LG, audio and tv good but washers?

Hitachi and Panasonic I guess would be more expensive and better known for non washing machines lines, so, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

• Like 1

I would go with one of the traditional home appliance brands (as opposed to electronics brands) like Electrolux, Siemens, or Whirlpool. However, they mostly sell only European style side-loaders but the larger size ones can take a duvet. They all sell a range of models but their basic models (cheapest) are fine as the motors and warranties are the same...just fewer useless bells and whistles (however, the spin speed goes up with price so if you need almost dry clothes out of the washer, e.g., you live in a condo and don't have lots of space to hang-dry you may want to pay extra for this feature).

• Like 1

Side loader every time. Better wash and can also do towels, bed linen on hot. Had a Zanussi for the past 8 years and still works well. Seen some 8kg LGs on promotion around the 10k mark - come with quick 20-minute wash option - but after having a TV fail by them, I'd probably pass.

Top loaders are normal here for homes - suspect front may be more popular in condos - wife would not consider front loader as wants to soak prior to wash. The top loaders are the non agitator Japanese design so very gentle on clothing (as opposed to the normal American design). Over the years have had mostly National (Panasonic) but current unit is Hitachi 12kg. This took some getting used to as has very high speed spin and will cycle many times getting load balanced before full speed is obtained. But has worked well (five years/no service and used for 8-10 people so 3 or more loads a day).

Thankds for the initial comments. I have decided that Electrolux, Siemens. Bosch, Whirlpool, Philips etc are non starters and I will be going local. Top loader certainly, seem to be less troublesome and get a better wash. From what has been said I seem to be veering towards a Japanese rather than a Korean manufacturer. So any comments on Sharp ( a friend has told my g/f "very good") and whilst in the UK Sharp products I sold at John Lewis ( A/TV) were very good but was not aware they made washing machines. It is possible someone else is making them for them and re badging. If that is the case it likely it would be Japanese provider. It would still be difficult for them to get into the market hence the good price, 8kg top loader down from 7500 to 4900.

Hands down the front loaders do a better job, save water and power, and yes can soak. What mis information here is outstanding. I have a seimans unit and it washes and drys. all in 1 unit. Yes it is expensive, but in the long run save time and effort.

Hands down the front loaders do a better job, save water and power, and yes can soak. What mis information here is outstanding. I have a seimans unit and it washes and drys. all in 1 unit. Yes it is expensive, but in the long run save time and effort.

Agree, front loaders are much better economically and washability,

I've always bought Electrolux they're made in Thailand, factory in Rayong,

In 7 years never had a problem.

Just a thought

Most of the european front loaders I have seeen in Thailand are metal cased. Given the "quality" of the electrics in the country you wcould be a lot safer sticking with the plastic top loaders designed for the local market!!!

I have used Electrolux for years.

Not sure a front loader will take a duvet.

Check the weight constraints for the model you choose.

Top loaders tend to be larger.

PS You need a duvet in Thailand????????

I am looking to buy the thai g/f a washing machine

Oh THE thai g/f is in for a treat ! is that her birthday ?

What do you get her for Christmas ? An iron ?

No nor birthday, birthday she got Honda Jazz and christmas , she got house, how about you what you get, bucket to cry in?

Edited by nong38

I have used Electrolux for years.

Not sure a front loader will take a duvet.

Check the weight constraints for the model you choose.

Top loaders tend to be larger.

PS You need a duvet in Thailand????????

Well, its that thing thats like a cross between a blanket, eiderdown and duvet, locally they seem to call it a duvet, so when in Rome..............

Edited by nong38

Ok thanks so far, tomorrow I will have a look at Bog C and 4 other outlets and armed with the advice see what comes up as well as the Sharp. Not convinced about fromt loaders, look good and are more modern not shure there is any other advantage, in the UK thats all the choice you had top loaders just were not fashionable any more and maybe fashion is why they had to go. All I want is something without any bells and whistles that does the job and is reliable.

No nor birthday, birthday she got Honda Jazz and christmas , she got house, how about you what you get, bucket to cry in?

Home Pro has a special going now. Buy a washer and get a sense of humor for free.

You should hurry, before they close.

Home Pro has a special going now. Buy a washer and get a sense of humor for free.

I was looking for a washing machine not a Bar Girl.hows that?

I was looking for a washing machine not a Bar Girl.hows that?

Uhm, pretty sure you still need to hurry. Special offer ends tonight.

Home pro dont sell washing machines with a sense of humour and I got there before they closed! They seemed more interested talking about bar fines and how much the cashier was for the night, strange place.

...replaced LG top load plastic twin tub with Hitachi 6 months ago...9.5kg 7k baht.Tesco Lotus..SSteel spin tub..seems okay ...couple of hundred bucks every couple of years is a good deal to me...front loaders are great but can't stop/open the bloody door mid cycle...or that's what they used to be like......supposedly they are "green" and all that but always had US style stacked washer and dryers in Canada and Oz and they were always good ...even if overpriced for a tin box and a pump and motors etc..lol

Home pro dont sell washing machines with a sense of humour and I got there before they closed! They seemed more interested talking about bar fines and how much the cashier was for the night, strange place.

You mut have been at Home Pro Outcall.

I have had a Siemens front-loading washing machine for 5 years (although its not a drier too).

No problems and no complaints.

Front loaders came out to suit kitchen planners, stick everything under a worktop! Fridges, small freezers and washing machines all built to the same hieght and width, all cost you more and freezers and washing machines are less effiecent and take smaller loads, kitchen looks great of course, depends if you want to look at it or use it. Top loaders went AOL in the UK years ago but am happy to have found them again, bigger wash and better for us, now it looks like an Hitachi or a Toshiba, both giving 10 year guarantees.

You mut have been at Home Pro Outcall.

I expect your are right, caught any kippers lately?

Nearly 10 years on my Samsung top loader. Still running like a champ. The electronic keypad is showing some wear from being pressed several thousand times, but doesn't show any signs of stopping.

Paid 7000 baht way back when. Most reliable appliance I've owned in Thailand. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Bought a regular "Whirlpool" washing machine, front loading, 4 years ago.

Still works perfectly.

It has even been standing outside on the veranda all the time.

Dont remember the price.

Bought it at Powerbuy, in one of the Central malls.

I browsed through the thread and wonder whether I have missed something here...

I could not find a hint about the fundamental difference of cheap top loaders (<10000) and more expensive front loaders (>12000 or so): the basic Thai style machines do not have a water heater, so you wash with "cold" water.

We still have such a thing and I am not always satisfied with the washing result.

Do you have a good water pressure? Modern western style washing machines require a reasonable water pressure to work.

Not necessesarily the case in upcountry.

I browsed through the thread and wonder whether I have missed something here...

I could not find a hint about the fundamental difference of cheap top loaders (<10000) and more expensive front loaders (>12000 or so): the basic Thai style machines do not have a water heater, so you wash with "cold" water.

We still have such a thing and I am not always satisfied with the washing result.

Do you have a good water pressure? Modern western style washing machines require a reasonable water pressure to work.

Not necessesarily the case in upcountry.

The ones I have been looking at are cold fill, not sure if they have a heater in built, must ask thanks for that. Water pressure is good. The salesmen have been pointing to the 10 year guarantee, although I suspect this only applies to the motor,so, will they leave at that or produce the extended warranty ( rip off of the west).