Washing Machine Advice

nong38

I bought the Mother in law one , from Tesco Lotus, it was a top loader about 12000 baht, it was a god make . Ask about how much Electric and water it uses, that may have an Impact on Which one to buy, because as has been said some heat the water before they start the wash cycle.

We've just bought a Hitachi "Sparkle Beat" with 13kg capacity and 10 year motor g'tee to replace our always troublesome Sharp, the programming electronics of which were a disaster. my wife actually wanted an LG until I pointed out that the user instruction book came only in Thai, in common with the single language user instruction books supplied for LG TV's and LG aircons, (how smart is that?)

The motor g'tee, whether 5 or 10 years, is more or less meaningless, since in our experience it's always the electronics which give up the ghost. Years ago, our Samsung machine had convenient gaps which invited rats in. They accepted the invitation and by way of thanks, chewed through the internal wiring, so the electronics failed.

Anyway, so far the Hitachi has been OK, if a little on the expensive side.

As a side issue, if anyone has an English translation of the user's handbook for LG a/c's with remote controls, I'd love a copy so that I can make an attempt to programme the thing. At the moment, all I can do is turn it on and off and adjust the temperature, and wifey cannot translate technical Thai into technical English - a fault I have never quite forgiven her for!

The ones I have been looking at are cold fill, not sure if they have a heater in built, must ask thanks for that. Water pressure is good. The salesmen have been pointing to the 10 year guarantee, although I suspect this only applies to the motor,so, will they leave at that or produce the extended warranty ( rip off of the west).

Warranty is good. Please ask the salesman were the nearest service point is.

Is it their outlet? Is it a branded-service station? Is it an all-round service-station? Or do engineers have to show up from Bangkok, or in worst case: do you have to send it to BKK? (smaller appliances)

As far as I know, Numchai has its own service-department.

Samsung has a service point near BKK Hospital - Pattaya

And there is an allround service for brands e.g. LG, Philips, Soken, and more in Soi Town and Town in Pattaya

NB Noticed too late that this was in General Topics. Sorry

Edited by saengsureeya

I had been looking at a Sharp, but gone off that idea, thanks for the unreliability factor. Lately looking at A Hitachi seem to have a good record. Thanks for the how do you get it serviced in required and where? Yes I will look for a secure housing too now as well, thanks to all who have given their experiences and comments, much appreciated.

We've just bought a Hitachi "Sparkle Beat" with 13kg capacity and 10 year motor g'tee to replace our always troublesome Sharp, the programming electronics of which were a disaster. my wife actually wanted an LG until I pointed out that the user instruction book came only in Thai, in common with the single language user instruction books supplied for LG TV's and LG aircons, (how smart is that?)

The motor g'tee, whether 5 or 10 years, is more or less meaningless, since in our experience it's always the electronics which give up the ghost. Years ago, our Samsung machine had convenient gaps which invited rats in. They accepted the invitation and by way of thanks, chewed through the internal wiring, so the electronics failed.

Anyway, so far the Hitachi has been OK, if a little on the expensive side.

As a side issue, if anyone has an English translation of the user's handbook for LG a/c's with remote controls, I'd love a copy so that I can make an attempt to programme the thing. At the moment, all I can do is turn it on and off and adjust the temperature, and wifey cannot translate technical Thai into technical English - a fault I have never quite forgiven her for!

"all warranties nul and void upon payment of invoice" ...lol ...

....would avoid electronic key pads in our somewhat humid environment...my LG all singing all dancing plasma TV takes 10 minutes of on off fenageling to get a picture..okay it's 5 years old but...aaaaaH! Okay whiz kids I know it's a dodgy power supply capacitor but frickin annoying... :rolleyes:

Thankds for the initial comments. I have decided that Electrolux, Siemens. Bosch, Whirlpool, Philips etc are non starters and I will be going local. Top loader certainly, seem to be less troublesome and get a better wash. From what has been said I seem to be veering towards a Japanese rather than a Korean manufacturer. So any comments on Sharp ( a friend has told my g/f "very good") and whilst in the UK Sharp products I sold at John Lewis ( A/TV) were very good but was not aware they made washing machines. It is possible someone else is making them for them and re badging. If that is the case it likely it would be Japanese provider. It would still be difficult for them to get into the market hence the good price, 8kg top loader down from 7500 to 4900.

Ifyou want your laundry to be clean, you will need a machine that have a water heater (expensive). These standard models available will not clean your clothes. Hand washing is far superior. It all depends how much free time your gf have. B)

<br />
<br /><font color="#1c2837"><font size="2"><b>I am looking to buy <u>the</u> thai g/f a washing machine</b></font></font><br /><font color="#1c2837"><font size="2"><b><br /></b></font></font><br /><font color="#1c2837"><font size="2">Oh THE thai g/f is in for a treat ! is that her birthday ?</font></font><br /><font color="#1c2837"><font size="2">What do you get her for Christmas ? An iron ? </font></font><br />
<br /><br />No nor birthday, birthday she got  Honda Jazz and christmas , she got house, how about you what you get, bucket to cry in?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Nope real grown up educated women don't cry for lost toys. Have you forgotten ?

They might just take a hike when you start calling them "The(nationality) gf", that's when the crying began for you?

Sorry you had to buy yourself a wife instead of real thing.

until I pointed out that the user instruction book came only in Thai, in common with the single language user instruction books supplied for LG TV's and LG aircons, (how smart is that?)

Anyone can download most instruction handbooks from most companies customer services site as .pdf ... for LG Washers f.E. here: LG

• 1 year later...

Front loader or top loader means nothings.

Some top loader works exactly as front loader:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washing_machine

But I understand that what people call top loader here is the Asian/Thai/Japanese cheap plastic washing machines.

Hard to find the western style top loader that works like a front loader here (see photo: European top loader with horizontal axis rotating drum (2008))

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/57/European_top_washingmachine.jpg/300px-European_top_washingmachine.jpg

Cheapest western style machines seem to be Samsung or LG ? But still 15000 Thb compared to 5000 Asian machines, wondering if it is worth spending 15000 even though the washing process is obviously better (clothes in and out of water).

Hands down the front loaders do a better job, save water and power, and yes can soak. What mis information here is outstanding. I have a seimans unit and it washes and drys. all in 1 unit. Yes it is expensive, but in the long run save time and effort.

I had a all in one in the early 1970's in the states. Old technology.Top loaders can soak, just open the lid, it stops.

a long time ago when I first came to Thailand the family's dual drum unit was on it's way out...we then went to tesco/lotus to find a replacement and the step-daughter declared when checking out a 8.5kg Sharp top loader: 'hey, check this out....it's like the one that tutsi had in his serviced apartment in Saigon and that one was pretty neat...'

so we bought it on her recommendation and it's been in continuous use for 5-6 years (3-4 loads per day)and now has a small inlet water volume regulation problem which requires operator intervention...solid as a nut otherwise...

I recommend top loaders for ease of operation and durability...a front loader with a million washing programs and a fragile front panel controller makes me nervous...

Ok so forget the warranty and the electronic wizardry, more good tips, thanks

-

Don't have experience with home appliances, but have found the way warranties are handled with computer gear - via outsourced distributors rather than the shop or the mfr direct - works very well.

Most of the time walk in, drop off the bad part, wait 20-30 min for the tech to confirm it's dead, walk out with a new one.

Also a friend said IKEA was excellent, another said Central took a little nagging but came through in the end.

We've had LG top-loaders (same model) in two different condos -- courtesy of our landlords. The current one is probably 10 year old and works well, 1 or 2 loads a day. 8 kg capacity. I like the Japanese technology with the fuzzy-logic and the lack of a center spindle which does nothing but beat up the clothes. The electronics aren't fancy, but it has a soak-cycle that I use for all garments that have underarm odor. Works like a champ.

But, I wouldn't attempt to wash the duvet in that washer -- for that, I take the duvet to the professional laundry shop for its once-a-year cleaning. This year, we never even unpacked the duvet, but just brought out the duvet cover and used that like another thin blanket for the brief cool season.

Better to invest in good top sheets than try to use a duvet year-round.

We've had LG top-loaders (same model) in two different condos -- courtesy of our landlords. The current one is probably 10 year old and works well, 1 or 2 loads a day. 8 kg capacity. I like the Japanese technology with the fuzzy-logic and the lack of a center spindle which does nothing but beat up the clothes. The electronics aren't fancy, but it has a soak-cycle that I use for all garments that have underarm odor. Works like a champ.

But, I wouldn't attempt to wash the duvet in that washer -- for that, I take the duvet to the professional laundry shop for its once-a-year cleaning. This year, we never even unpacked the duvet, but just brought out the duvet cover and used that like another thin blanket for the brief cool season.

Better to invest in good top sheets than try to use a duvet year-round.

I hear that one...duvets require a trip to the dry cleaners unless (ahem) one is indiscriminate with bodily fluids...

our Sharp top loader has a decal on the cover declaring 'fuzzy logic' which is enough for our purposes but the mechanical bits can break down after repeated use...when we had a lot of teenaged nieces in the house a couple of items would go full cycle frequently but they have grown up and moved out now...

looks like washing machine shopping time tmw at the suphan lotus..in attendance shall be the step daughter who now is almost 20 y.o. with two kids and with our entourage sho 'nuff everyone will have something to say about the new machine...even the little niece who is growing up quite quickly by the day with the loads of washing...

(when I got home from the airport today from work in saudi her school report card was left conveniently where I could see it and it displayed a remarkable positive result...she luxuriated on the rattan sofa and breathed: 'and you thought that I was dumb? just another pretty face?'...and tutsi is on his knees: 'no! my little darling, never!'...and the wife observed, amused...she had arranged the after school lessons responsible for the improvement and etc.)

Buy a German WM. They are front loaders but you can wash up to 90 degree Celsius if you really need it for very dirty cloth. (Red Wine or Grass)

Not advisable actually. Do you know what 90 degrees do to dye of clothing, and their size if made of synthetics? I remember the times when each piece of cloth had a small tag telling if and at what temperature it should be laundered and ironed, but haven't seen them in Thailand yet. Not perfectly clean is better than destroyed. Yoy can remove red wine and grass stains at room temperature, plenty of advice in the internet.

I actually (have my maid) boil the sheets and other whites in bleach after she scrubs them. No synthetic anything in this house, cotton and linen all the way.

I tried that but gave up...got better things t'do than monitor the laundry...

I brought some nice all cotton bed linen this time from saudi...the little grandson didn't waste any time and pissed on it...he is a sweet heart...

-

Sorry I don't get it, what "monitor"? Showed her how to do it four years ago and nice white laundry's been the result ever since. . .

-

Sorry I don't get it, what "monitor"? Showed her how to do it four years ago and nice white laundry's been the result ever since. . .

you're right: 'instruct' is the better word...'to instruct the maid in laundry undertakings...'

hey, the recent all cotton bed linen I got from IKEA in Jeddah is black with grey polka dots (special offer)...I was just now

strugglin' wid it wid de wife who wants to kit out the other bedrooms in the house with the same pattern...she is a monster...

Edited by tutsiwarrior