Broadband Isps

Mister Fixit

I'm thinking of having braodband installed in my apartment (I use the PC at work for the net).

I spoke to the owner whose English is not great and he seemed to be saying I should sign up with TRUE as have others in the block. He'd then charge me 200 baht a month to allow the line in, (a bit of a cheek) and then I'd pay TRUE the rental each month.

Are TRUE OK? Or can anyone suggest a decent ISP for broadband?

And what are the costs of the various levels? It seems I can pay 2 grand a month for 512 b/band and less for 256. What's available and by whom?

TIA

I'm thinking of having braodband installed in my apartment (I use the PC at work for the net).

I spoke to the owner whose English is not great and he seemed to be saying I should sign up with TRUE as have others in the block.  He'd then charge me 200 baht a month to allow the line in, (a bit of a cheek) and then I'd pay TRUE the rental each month.

Are TRUE OK?  Or can anyone suggest a decent ISP for broadband?

And what are the costs of the various levels?  It seems I can pay 2 grand a month for 512 b/band and less for 256.  What's available and by whom?

TIA

Do you already have a phone line? If you do then you don't need to pay the 200bt pm. I live in Pakkret and have True 256/512 (790bt), it get a bit slow sometimes, and the odd time it's unusable but in general it's ok. As for bad customer service from True, yes they could be better, much better but I have the number of a True engineer and any problems I go direct, he's always been very helpful.

I spoke to the owner whose English is not great and he seemed to be saying I should sign up with TRUE as have others in the block.  He'd then charge me 200 baht a month to allow the line in, (a bit of a cheek) and then I'd pay TRUE the rental each month.

Are TRUE OK?  Or can anyone suggest a decent ISP for broadband?

And what are the costs of the various levels?  It seems I can pay 2 grand a month for 512 b/band and less for 256.  What's available and by whom?

TIA

Do you already have a phone line? If you do then you don't need to pay the 200bt pm. I live in Pakkret and have True 256/512 (790bt), it get a bit slow sometimes, and the odd time it's unusable but in general it's ok. As for bad customer service from True, yes they could be better, much better but I have the number of a True engineer and any problems I go direct, he's always been very helpful.

Thanks all for the replies. Sorry for the delay, but the office PC was up the swannie.

I've managed to get hold of True, which was not eeasy. I only have a line through a switchboard, and will have to have a direct line installed into the flat.

That's free, but if I leave within 6 months, I have to pay 5,000+ baht. They lend you the modem and after 12 months you can buy it for 1 baht! I think I'll have the 1 meg package for 890 baht + VAT, but may just save a bit and have the 512 package for 750 baht. Dunno - any thoughts? Is it worth the extra 140 baht for double the speed? I suppose it is.

They have to check for available lines, which they say can take 7-10 days then install soon after, I think.

However, the landlord wants an extra 200 baht a month from me to allow the direct line in! Cheeky sod! I suppose it's to compensate him for lost revenue by not going through the switchboard (which I never do anyway).

Has anyone else experienced this?