Another Washed Passport, But Not Illegible..

My gf washed my passport the other day.. the same day I'd just been to get a 30 day extension on my 1st entry of a double entry.

The new stamp is illegible. But you can see the 'entry' stamp date, when the visa was 'activated'

I still have 6 pages left in the pp, it doesnt look too bad.

The last thing i want is to go to Cambodia to activate the 2nd entry only to be told to get a new passport..

I have the receipt for the extension (done in Kanchanaburi)

Should i just go back there and see if they will re-stamp..?

Or what..?

It's not worth the risk travelling with a damaged passport, one immigration officer may be OK with it, but the next will give you grief.

Time for a new PP I'm afraid :(

They will be able to transfer your extension into it though :)

So i have to apply at the HK office. A minimum of 4 weeks.. but i have only 28 days left on my extension then i need to activate my 2nd entry.

How does that work then..?

If immigration accpets the old passport, you just show the old passport and they stamp you in the new passport. if they say the passport is damaged, they can say the visa is no longer valid and you have to get a new one.

If you new passport is not there within 4 weeks, it seems you will be on overstay at 500 baht per day till you get the new passport.

It seems like he is saying that the passport is fine, it is just the stamp.... if that is the case, why get a new passport?

Just go out and come back in before the visa expires and you should be fine.

"should"

That's the magic word though, isn't it?

without seeing how bad the passport is damaged, who can say?

But if it is ok and still in decent shape I do not know what the problem would be... I put my first passport through the wash and still used it for at least two years after that getting two more 1 yr extensions without anyone ever batting an eye...

It just depends on how bad it looks...

If the visa is not readable but the passport is fine, then he needs a new visa, not a new passport... Simply leave the country and get a new visa.

Also having a new passport in your hands would not have any affect on the readability of your visa or entry stamp, so do not see how that would be at all helpful in this case... a new passport is only needed if the passport itself is damaged and unusable.

Thai immigration does not look at all of your old no longer valid visas in your passport to ensure that they can read them all, they are only interested in the latest visa... the one that you will be using to enter into Thailand.

I agree that they should be able to look it up in the computer, but how about the entry stamp on your departure card?

I find that customs always stamp the entry date once in the passport and again on the departure card, did they do this for you as well?

If so, this could be additional proof of the date of entry..

Also absolute worst case scenario, the worst they could do is claim that you are an overstay and try to charge you for overstay fine...

Edited by CWMcMurray

A dameged passport is an inavlid passport. Damaged includes alterations of a passport, like notations no longer being readable or visa stickers being removed. Immigration officers don't like it when they cannot read information in the passport and can be very strict regarding that.