Need Advice Please!

nipsuk

Hello!

My wife and I currently live in China, we are planning a trip from Bangkok to Phuket. We are looking at hiring a car and driving this over a 10day holiday. We would like some information about driving in Thailand:

1) road conditions

2) petrol prices

3) dangerous roads/places to avoid.

We are planning to stop at 4 or 5 places. We'll start at Bangkok and end at Phuket, so need 2 or 3 places along the way. Any suggestions?

We are not fussy about hotels, so what is a normal price for hostel/hotel with breakfast?

We have never been to Thailand before, so really know nothing about it!

Many Thanks

I've driven the route several times. It's a 10 -15 hour drive depending on how fast you go and if there are any delays (accidents, road checks). Once out of Bangkok proper its not a bad trip at all. I usually break the trip in half taking two days, stopping half way. You see more that way and its more relaxing. If you have GPS, it'll help you a heck of a lot more so than just a map. Lots of gas stations all the way and hundreds of places to stay overnight and eat. If yo stop try to stop at one of the major gas stations. They provide better services.

You can look up resorts on the internet for prices and book ahead but not really necessary. If you are brave or have a Thai with you, you can stay at one of the Thai motels that most foreigners don't know about. (300-400 Baht night) Helps to read Thai. They are really clean but you need your own towels etc, at some places. They even have Internet. Gas right now is 34-40 Baht a liter. My car with good mileage 2200 Baht one way.

From Bangkok to Khiri Khan is about 3 hour drive. At Cha Am you can go Hwy 37 and save an hour. Go Hwy 4 you'll see the Gulf, Cha Am-Hua Hin resort area. Add another two hours to Chumphon and 6 hrs to Phuket. These are conservative numbers.

Going south pass Chumphon you can go two ways, East side or west side. Continue south on the east side of the peninsula through Surat Thani to Phangna to Phuket In Phangna you want to take the "bypass" road to Phuket or you'll add a lot of extra time. Lots of scenic views no gulf views.

Or at Champhon you can take the road over to "Ranong" by the Burma border down the West coast to Phuket. Scenic and lots of curves and waterfalls in places. Fewer gas stations until Ranong.

Might go down one side first come back up the other side on the way back.

Thai drivers drive by their own rules is the best way to explain it. We drive on the left hand side of the road if you are not use to it. Watch for "traffic stops" around Champhon. Stay in left hand lane (bumpy) (looking for tea money there). Monsoon season is on us so flooding possible at Surat Thani, Phangna area. Watch the weather reports.

So many choices, so just enjoy.

Edited by Mrjlh

Definately make Prchuab Kiri Khan one of your overnight stops.We stayed in a hotel right on the beach for about 700 baht.Beach doesn't seem to be for swimming but rather for the fishing boats.Lovely sheltered inlet and a good walk up to the temple on top of the hill(Mind the monkeys though-they don't do anything but there sure are alot of them)

As a first-timer, I'd advise renting and driving out of Bangkok. Perhaps get yourselves to Hua Hin (around 200kms south) by train, bus, or taxi and do the rental pick-up from there. The drive down to Phuket from Hua Hin doesn't involve major intersections like what you get in the capital. Would be tempted to stop off at Khao Sok NP on the way down - heading south along the 4/41 and do a right onto the 401 (two lane). Couple of days in resort there (see lake, falls etc) then easy drive to Phuket.

Couple nights Bangkok, couple nights Hua Hin, couple nights Khao Sok, three nights Phuket. ;)

Roads on Phuket a bit hectic - avoid driving in Phuket Town, and the Phuket Town-Patong route and Phuket Town-Chalong route during rush hours. Avoid driving too close to the verge and too close to central reservation (anywhere in Thailand), be vigilant when approaching U-turns, and don't start off the red lights too hastily (the locals tend to pass the other reds for a few seconds).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your infomation and ideas, my wife and i have worked out a good plan!

*Edit - Just found out that i cant hire a car from budget because i need a credit card in my name. As ive lived in China for the past 8 years and china hasnt discovered the credit card yet, looks like the plan is off. Anyone know if i can hire a car without a credit card?

How about one of those pre-paid credit cards? You don't need credit checks or anything to get one, you just load them up with cash and use them like normal credit cards. Google 'pre-paid credit cards' and have a look :)

sounds like a nice trip, it would be a shame to scupper the idea just because of the lack of a card!

If this is the first time making such a trip I would recommend you try a Bus.

any reason why? ive driven in some pretty bad places around the world, ranging from America to Chile to Iraq. i cant imagine Thailand will be that bad?

any reason why? ive driven in some pretty bad places around the world, ranging from America to Chile to Iraq. i cant imagine Thailand will be that bad?

It's not, you have to keep your wits about you but I would imagine that would be the same in Iraq!

Anyway, you're on the same road in a bus, you're just not in control of the vehicle! That does NOT make it safer!

It's not, you have to keep your wits about you but I would imagine that would be the same in Iraq!

Anyway, you're on the same road in a bus, you're just not in control of the vehicle! That does NOT make it safer!

Thats what i thought, i drove the road of death in chile and alot of people said "why not take a local bus, they know the road better". Im sure they do, but if i die i want to know it was my mistake that lead to the crash!

Anyway, the plan has been cancelled now due to not having a credit card (lived in china too long) and the pre-paid credit cards arnt accepted by budget and hertz.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help, hopefully my wife and I will visit thailand one day!

Thats what i thought, i drove the road of death in chile and alot of people said "why not take a local bus, they know the road better". Im sure they do, but if i die i want to know it was my mistake that lead to the crash!

Anyway, the plan has been cancelled now due to not having a credit card (lived in china too long) and the pre-paid credit cards arnt accepted by budget and hertz.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help, hopefully my wife and I will visit thailand one day!

That's a shame! Is there no other way to rent a vehicle other than with a credit card?