Krabi La Playa Resort

Boo

Hi my aunt & uncle have just got a great deal for 10 nights at this resort end of august, flights with Thai from Heathrow,internal flights plus superior room accom for 595gbp each. :o

Does anyone have experience of this resort & can tell me what the weather should be like at this time of year?

Also any days out or sites of interest for them to do when they are there?

They have been to Thailand before, last year to Hua Hin & Bangkok & they really loved it so are keen to enjoy this trip as much as the last.

Thanks

Pool area at this resort very nice.

F&B.....................hmmmm.......so-so, but they are in walking distance of both Hat Napparat and Ao Nang, and directly to the beach from KLP at Napparat is your typical Thai seafood setup. The other direction toward Ao Nang they have Blue Mango with some good food, as well as La Luna Italian. For a big feed go to Bernies all you can eat BBQ. A dieters nightmare for sure.

In Ao Nang you have those little tour stands that can accomodate whatever trip they want to do. For sure catch the skiff over to Railei for the day, just remember the trip back to start back at 5pm, because after 6, the boat guys there scam you, say the ticket you bought at the booth (120rt) is now worthless and it's 5 or 600thb a head (amazing Thailand!).

Krabi Town. Often overlooked. Get a boat on the river for a cave tour. 800thb. Then have dinner at the seafood restaurants on the river. Great setting.

August weather 50-50, you'll have some rain, but also some really nice days.

Hey Boo, we've stayed there a few times and quite like it. Has never been there when it's had mor than a few rooms occupied. The resort itself is small and is one black back from the main street. The entrance is thru a dirty alleyway so it's quite a relief when your vehicle turns at the end of the alley and it reveals a nice reception area. We found the rooms were cleaned well and the staff very polite and helpful. Their pool-access rooms are especially nice, they have steps down from the room balconies into the pool. The rooms upstairs are just regular old hotel rooms. There's also a small kiddies wading pool connected to the main pool if they have little ones. There's a small swim-up bar which might interest some people (like me).

Our main gripe is that in most rooms their double beds seem to be two single mattresses joined together which can be a bit uncomfortable! Also being a smaller place their brekkie buffet is pretty limited. I'd say it's a good 3 star, maybe a 3.5.

Although it's a while ago now, one time we did a great boat tour with Aussie Liz and hubby Sun (Andaman Camp and Cruise) who used to sponsor the forum here. I'm not sure if they run their tours in August due to the weather. We've also done a couple of beginners rock-climbing courses on Railay. Pretty hilarious for hubby and I to be struggling up the first 2 metres of rock while 6 year old kids were whizzing past us...it was good fun though.

The only thing I wouldn't recommend is the horse-riding tours the beach. Sold to us as a sun-set ride suitable for children and beginners but it was awful from start to finish - dirty horses, filthy stables, inadequate supervision on the ride (fine for experienced riders but not with beginners or children around). It ended with daughter's horse bolting with her clinging to the neck while the cowboys that were supposed to be leading the tour just sat on their ponies and laughed. Not recommended!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...