When A Cop Waives You To Stop, Do You?

Happysiam

so you are always in the left lane and never above 90kmh and of course you have a Thai DL

Yes, and i also live fully legally in Bangkok with all papers and without paying any tea money! Sometimes i doubt that many other users here do it like me.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

an 20 bt for ice

I usually stop and speak very politely in Thai to them. They usually let me go without a fine. My friend usually stops and screams at them in English like a raving lunatic. They usually let him go too. Never donate more than 200 baht though.

I stop.

I luv giving money to the Police.

I live in Udon Thani - Stopped many times and never parted with a Baht or asked for any !! (I wear a helmet and have a license)

I stop.

I luv giving money to the Police.

I live in Udon Thani - Stopped many times and never parted with a Baht or asked for any !! (I wear a helmet and have a license)

HW 2 Khon Kaen to Udon has two regular HWP roadblocks, and frequent boys in papermask

No. Most of the policemen are from poor families of the Northeastern parts. The deal is, if you want to pay for the fines at the police stations, it would cost you 400-500 B in general. If you "donate" 200 B, that would cut all the troubles of going to the station. I don't even want to tell you how much those policemen take home in a month (You can have one good meal with a couple friends in the State). 200 B here and there under the driver's license, put some food on the table and buy school supplies for their children in most cases. Some of them just drink their asses off. That's why the number 200 B was never increase and always been that way. That's all.

Yes, we should take it like this and not blame the single policeman too much for doing such things. Both sides have a good deal with it. One side can pay the money for own children going to school, other side does not have to spend time with going to the policestation. Why doing risky escape things? For myself i am trying to stick to the traffic rules, keep my bike OK and always wear a helmet. Doing it like this i had no trouble until now :)

I'm guessing you don't live in Bangkok?

It should be noted that the severity of police corruption varies from location to location. I have NEVER had a problem with Thai traffic police up north but in Bangkok and Pattaya they are, as a general rule, incredibly greedy and corrupt.

Anyone disagree?

^ I absolutely agree. Outside BKK the rules and the games are totally different. When I ride south to Cha-am/Hua Hin it is empty, no problems(Car or Moto). BKK is deeply corrupt but they have the congestion working in their favor. its like shooting ducks on a pond. In Pin Klao they have a dragnet set up everyday, both ways by Major and Central, sometimes by Chaoprya hospital. They are using the laws of "pull everybody over and see what falls out". It is really quite annoying and dangerous. They jam up traffic intentionally to control the "drive throughs". I really despise the behavior when they run at you and reach for the key or yank the handle bars. <deleted>, they will cross 3 lanes of dodging traffic to grab a guy for a potential 200bht? Its utter retardation IMHO. I see this regularly. Sometimes I will walk to where they have a big dragnet set up and grab a bite to eat to watch how they behave. I should film it.

As for running through, its really is a last minute decision if I will drop a gear and go. If it is a 2 or 3 man crew and they have multiples already curbside, I am gone. If they have a heavy presence I pull over. I have succumbed to the extortion a couple of times not because I did anything wrong but I simply did not want to sit in the sun trying to communicate with them. My Thai is marginal at best and honestly playing dumb is far better then trying to talk Thai to them. They could care less. You are not going to reduce the extortion fee...

Sad how they will rape their own on a regular basis. The people on moto's and scooters are probably the ones with the least amount of free money to pay the crooks.

Now I will say, I have no issue with the DUI check points as long as they are doing the quick glance and go. They are needed.

I live in Phitsanulok ive been stopped and fined 200 baht for not having a licence, so i went and got a licence for bike and car. The police here do regular checks on the main road and last time i was stopped with my wife i showed the police man my licence which he then took and showed to the 30 to 40 young boys that were recieving fines,and said if falang can make licence why cant you? He then gave my licence back,all smiles and i was on my way,licences are easy to get and if you have one you should not have a problem.

No. Most of the policemen are from poor families of the Northeastern parts. The deal is, if you want to pay for the fines at the police stations, it would cost you 400-500 B in general. If you "donate" 200 B, that would cut all the troubles of going to the station. I don't even want to tell you how much those policemen take home in a month (You can have one good meal with a couple friends in the State). 200 B here and there under the driver's license, put some food on the table and buy school supplies for their children in most cases. Some of them just drink their asses off. That's why the number 200 B was never increase and always been that way. That's all.

Yes, we should take it like this and not blame the single policeman too much for doing such things. Both sides have a good deal with it. One side can pay the money for own children going to school, other side does not have to spend time with going to the policestation. Why doing risky escape things? For myself i am trying to stick to the traffic rules, keep my bike OK and always wear a helmet. Doing it like this i had no trouble until now :)

so you are always in the left lane and never above 90kmh and of course you have a Thai DL

I agree that Thai cops should be paid a reasonable salary. Their current compensation is only inviting corruption.

After living in Thailand for eight years I have been busted for the "Right Lane" crime twice. The first time the cop was standing in the left lane and as I moved to avoid hitting him, he stopped me and advised me I was in the wrong and that I could pay him :)

The second time I was on Sukumvitt Road, in the left lane, and and moved over one lane to pass a stopped red buss. The cop pulled me over and wrote out the ticket as I was explaining why I was in the middle lane. Cop: "Mai pen rai" and stopped traffic for me so that I could go to the desk seving as a temporary office where I paid the fine of 200 baht and was given an official receipt :)

By the way, Thai law does allow for motor bikes to move to a right lane if the left lane is blocked by stationary or very slow traffic. The right lane violation is just an easy way for the cops to bust people, line their pockets and make the district chief's stats look good.

Having said that, I have been stopped several times and after they checked my driver's licence and tax sticker, was sent on my way.

I agree that Thai cops should be paid a reasonable salary. Their current compensation is only inviting corruption.

After living in Thailand for eight years I have been busted for the "Right Lane" crime twice. The first time the cop was standing in the left lane and as I moved to avoid hitting him, he stopped me and advised me I was in the wrong and that I could pay him :)

The second time I was on Sukumvitt Road, in the left lane, and and moved over one lane to pass a stopped red buss. The cop pulled me over and wrote out the ticket as I was explaining why I was in the middle lane. Cop: "Mai pen rai" and stopped traffic for me so that I could go to the desk seving as a temporary office where I paid the fine of 200 baht and was given an official receipt :)

By the way, Thai law does allow for motor bikes to move to a right lane if the left lane is blocked by stationary or very slow traffic. The right lane violation is just an easy way for the cops to bust people, line their pockets and make the district chief's stats look good.

Having said that, I have been stopped several times and after they checked my driver's licence and tax sticker, was sent on my way.

Perfectly written down. I would say that some people here are blustering at police man doing their job just because they don't get their own papers done, don't keep their bikes in regular condition or just like driving like gonzos.

Perfectly written down. I would say that some people here are blustering at police man doing their job just because they don't get their own papers done, don't keep their bikes in regular condition or just like driving like gonzos.

Police man asking for cash donations without being able to point out breach of law or regulations, are not doing their job,. They are criminals.

+8 years and +450.000km on Thai roads has taught me most about this scum, and of course I have my Th DL and vehicle docs in order

If you are suggesting that increasing police salaries will some how do away with endemic corruption I suggest you are a bit naive... :jap:

Police man asking for cash donations without being able to point out breach of law or regulations, are not doing their job,. They are criminals.

+8 years and +450.000km on Thai roads has taught me most about this scum, and of course I have my Th DL and vehicle docs in order

Wow, than sure you have done much more km than me in Thailand. And i do not say that everything is absolutely perfect with the Traffic Police. Sure there are this stories everyday. But some farang bikers denigrate the complete Bangkok Traffic Police. Sure no policemen is hitting another policemen. Same in every other country. But if the policemen hear about such statements about them, then they sure will stop beeing friendly to foreigners and guests in there country. This would be no surprise. OK, i have said my opinion: I stop :)

Edited by wantan

• 3 weeks later...

I've been stopped countless times when riding my VFR, each and every time i have produced the expected documents and rode away hassle free :)

But i did have one experience where the Fuzz set up a fuel tank check point on my local road (Rom Klao), so as you can imagine the left hand lane was blocked with HGV's.

With this in mind i planed my path and switched into the 2nd of 3 lanes and filtered past the trucks to my left, as soon as i neared the front of this check point a Police Officer jumped out in front of me asking me to stop....

P.O. "You not go lane number 2!"

Me. " You blocked lane number 1, look have many trucks, Pom Pai thanon nung mai dai krub"

P.O. "It is the law of Thailand, you not go lane number 1"

After listening to a broken record for 5 mins this was the end result

Me. "So you want me to wait behind the trucks for 30 mins - 1 hour?"

P.O. Walks off to talk to another officer then comes back "You give me 400baht, top secret"

Me. "200?" knowing full well i only had a 500 note in my pocket lol

P.O "No 400"

So in the end and unsurprisingly 'The Law of Thailand' was broken for his benefit.

I had no option but to give him 400, it's the first time i'd come across a police officer with such an appetite for 'higher sums'

I knew I was ripped off but i've been riding for over a year here and that's the only time i have had to pay, so i decided to just pay up and move on.

Edited by karlos

I've been stopped countless times when riding my VFR, each and every time i have produced the expected documents and rode away hassle free :)

But i did have one experience where the Fuzz set up a fuel tank check point on my local road (Rom Klao), so as you can imagine the left hand lane was blocked with HGV's.

With this in mind i planed my path and switched into the 2nd of 3 lanes and filtered past the trucks to my left, as soon as i neared the front of this check point a Police Officer jumped out in front of me asking me to stop....

P.O. "You not go lane number 2!"

Me. " You blocked lane number 1, look have many trucks, Pom Pai thanon nung mai dai krub"

After listening to a broken record for 5 mins this was the end result

Me. "So you want me to wait behind the trucks for 30 mins - 1 hour?"

P.O. Walks off to talk to another officer then comes back "You give me 400baht, top secret"

Me. "200?" knowing full well i only had a 500 note in my pocket lol

P.O "No 400"

So in the end and unsurprisingly 'The Law of Thailand' was broken for his benefit.

I had no option but to give him 400, it's the first time i'd come across a police officer with such an appetite for 'higher sums'

I knew I was ripped off but i've been riding for over a year here and that's the only time i have had to pay, so i decided to just pay up and move on.

Fookers! I live off of Rom Klao myself and the Brown mafia have tried to flag me down a few times when I go around their truck checkpoint (which incidentally causes HUGE traffic jams), but I never stop for those wanke_rs :bah:

FWIW on 3 lane roads like Rom Klao just stay in the fast lane and it's highly unlikely the cockroaches will run all the way over through moving traffic to try and stop you. :jap:

Fookers! I live off of Rom Klao myself and the Brown mafia have tried to flag me down a few times when I go around their truck checkpoint (which incidentally causes HUGE traffic jams), but I never stop for those wanke_rs :bah:

FWIW on 3 lane roads like Rom Klao just stay in the fast lane and it's highly unlikely the cockroaches will run all the way over through moving traffic to try and stop you. :jap:

Wow, 4 insults in two sentences. I guess it is better for you not to stop. But if you have to stop some day, than better think of something positive like buying ice-cream or something like this ;)

Wow, 4 insults in two sentences. I guess it is better for you not to stop. But if you have to stop some day, than better think of something positive like buying ice-cream or something like this ;)

Yep, I have no respect whatsoever for the Brown mafia here in Thailand.

Riding back from Khon Kaen the other day there were SIX extortion checkpoints between Khon Kaen and Korat. Needless to say, I didn't stop for any of them. :whistling:

Happy Trails!

T

@Karlos I'd like to know if you ride a scooter or a chopper ?

It is my understanding that when i take over, i'll usually ought to be in the right lane, and then fall back to the left lane until i take over again.

At least that's how i ride, and i would probably need to take the case to court if i get fined for it.

Edited by poanoi

@Karlos I'd like to know if you ride a scooter or a chopper ?

It is my understanding that when i take over, i'll usually ought to be in the right lane, and then fall back to the left lane until i take over again.

At least that's how i ride, and i would probably need to take the case to court if i get fined for it.

What part of

I've been stopped countless times when riding my VFR
didn't you understand?

Going to court in Thailand over a traffic citation that will cost you at most 400 Baht?! :cheesy:

Provincial police are certainly more laid back than their Bangkok counterparts. On a recent ride to Rayong, their idea of getting us to pull over was to point at us and wave their ticket books. Funny guys!

Very true with the rural BIB RC. Never had any dramas so far at the check points up north. I show them my pass to the executive wash room (Thai drivers license) and they let us be on our merry way. I put it down to the fact that the ferangs without Thai licenses are easier pickings and less likely to know the in's and out's of the BIB. The BIB up here seem to be worlds apart to the BIB in the south.

I tried this waving game last weekend.

While riding my Mio 125 (yes what a beast!) I was nearing the end of Rom Klao road and a police officer waved at me. So remembering the good advice from earlier in this thread, I waved back with a big smile on my face, he took a closer look at my face (visor up) and he let me go.

I can only assume that these stop and checks are just simple waving games..... :)