Gay Life In Chiang Mai

KED

I have two friends who recently moved up north to Chiang Mai, so I have been visiting up there regularly. I realize that CM is much smaller than Bangkok, but I am surprised there aren't more gay venues (pub / bar). I'm not looking for GoGo bars like Circle or Adam4Adam and not looking for a huge weekend disco like Mandalay Bay. I like the vibe at the Glass Onion and SoHo but even on the weekends there are usually less than 10 people and mostly farangs. Many years back, I went to the Night Market area near the climbing wall..but those clubs are all gone.

Any other insight into Chiang Mai gaylife??

Thanks

SoHo, HoM, etc ....

I have met all of my friends at non-gay venues though. You may also want to try the Chiang Mai Gay Friend's group (ex LYC). The thing is, if you are just an occasional visitor, the non-p4p locals will probably not be that interested in you.

Gay is so mainstream now in Chiang Mai the local Thai guys don't seem to go to gay bars anymore, apart from the occasional Friday night in Mandalay :rolleyes: If you speak some Thai and don't mind local style places you can meet gay Thai's almost anywhere in Chiang Mai, especially student oriented areas like Santitham Plaza, JJ market and some of the student type places around Nimanheminda. If you don't mind staying up late some of the Gay Karaoke places, like Barocco, are also good places to meet other gays (and you always have the option to take one of the waiters home as a backup plan :unsure: )

One option you might try is Yoka Dok (inside the moat opposite the Loi Kroh lady bars). It's run by Pui who used to work at Friendship, at the old Peak and still has a bit of that atmosphere.

Otherwise it's the commercial scene, which the OP wanted to avoid.......

Here's a recipe for CM:

Go into a trendy-esque restaurant which stays busy with Thai custom. Look friendly and approachable. Smile. Be plausibly gay and possibly single. Make eye contact appropriately. When someone is making eye contact with you, smile. Speaking Thai is your best bet, but even if you only speak English that is a plausible excuse for starting a conversation: 'Excuse me, do you know where/when/etc......?'

Actually, that works all over the place.