I Had A Retirement Visa What Do I Get Now?

I need help. I had a retirement visa for the last 6 years i am from USA and then i left to return home did not get re entry permit now i want to return in August with a one way plane flight would like to get my retirement visa in Thailand not here. Can i get a tourist visa good for 60 days without a return flight home? I need to go to the embassy here soon your help and advice sincerely appreciated. Also i have been in America since march 5 2011.

Yes should be ok. You will just have to do the two part process of converting tourist visa to non-o and then an extension of stay. Some offices will do both at the same time, but not all offices will do the conversion, bangkok, and Pattaya for sure.

Check out the visa forum there are a lot of post about this process and what forms you will need

Yes should be ok. You will just have to do the two part process of converting tourist visa to non-o and then an extension of stay. Some offices will do both at the same time, but not all offices will do the conversion, bangkok, and Pattaya for sure.

Check out the visa forum there are a lot of post about this process and what forms you will need

Thanks my biggest worry is if Thai consulate will issue tourist visa with a one way ticket?? Called my airline thet said i maybe could still use my retirement visa i thought i voided that when i left. Thanks again to all who help.

I have had a tourist visa issued before I bought my ticket. What consulate are you applying at. You can use Portland and she will have turn around in a few days. But remember each consulate cam interpert the rules different.

You should use an honorary Consulate (like Portland) and try to obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa. You can call or visit LA Consulate and ask them but they may still require you obtain the O-A for retirement from them. Believe Honorary Consulates can issue again now that they can not issue the O-A type. One way travel is allowed on any visa and if American consulate will not normally require any show of ticket to obtain a visa. But you will require a non immigrant visa entry to extend for retirement so better to get that now.

If you must use a tourist visa there will be an extra 2,000 baht step before you can extend inside Thailand.

You should use an honorary Consulate (like Portland) and try to obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa. You can call or visit LA Consulate and ask them but they may still require you obtain the O-A for retirement from them. Believe Honorary Consulates can issue again now that they can not issue the O-A type. One way travel is allowed on any visa and if American consulate will not normally require any show of ticket to obtain a visa. But you will require a non immigrant visa entry to extend for retirement so better to get that now.

If you must use a tourist visa there will be an extra 2,000 baht step before you can extend inside Thailand.

Thanks so bottom line is i can get a tourist visa at LA consulate with my one way ticket? There are less requirements in Thailand for my retirement visa no medical no fbi policw records check. Also i get a letter from my embassy notarized about my income from my pension which is over 65000 baht so no need for bank account. I would rather pay the Thai immigration. I think it is 1900 baht and another 2000 baht? not sure. Plus $65USD for letter. Thanks again for all your help.

The medical and police check are only required to apply for an O-A visa, but not for a normal non-O visa.

Some consulates will only issue an O-A visa, but honorary consulates are not allowed to issue these and will issue a non-O visa. Just check if they will issue a non-O visa to you, if not apply at another consulate that will.

The medical and police check are only required to apply for an O-A visa, but not for a normal non-O visa.

Some consulates will only issue an O-A visa, but honorary consulates are not allowed to issue these and will issue a non-O visa. Just check if they will issue a non-O visa to you, if not apply at another consulate that will.

Just checked portland waiting to see how long for mail. so no good on the tourist visa chai rue mai? I have to get retirement visa here? My actual retirement visa in my passport expires on August 11 2011 and i am flying in august 3 is it still good? Thanks

retirement extension of stay is what you have and if you didn't get a re-entry permit it will not be valid upon arrival in Thailand. She probably doesn't understand this

Why wasn't the tourist visa possible, seems like a slam dunk

Edited by moe666

You didn't get a re-entry permit so your permission to stay is cancelled. You now need a new visa.

You can apply for a non-O based on retirement or you apply for a tourist visa and do a conversion here in Thailand to a non-immigrant visa. Since you already apply for a visa, it seems better to try to get a non-O straight away. But the choice is yours.

retirement extension of stay is what you have and if you didn't get a re-entry permit it will not be valid upon arrival in Thailand. She probably doesn't understand this

Why wasn't the tourist visa possible, seems like a slam dunk

Yes i need a slam dunk I have a one way flight to Thailand no return ticket is a tourist visa possible? Thanks that is all i want till i get there is it possible?

Just checked portland waiting to see how long for mail. so no good on the tourist visa chai rue mai?

You're saying you don't have enough time to apply by mail to Portland? You're leaving Aug 3 -- you should have plenty of time. Did you talk to Mary at Portland about your situation? You should qualify for a Non Imm O based on being retired -- all's they require is proof of your financials.

If, somehow, you don't qualify for a Non Imm O, a tourist visa from Portland requires no proof of airline tickets.

And, worst case (like, you don't have a mailbox, or something), you can go visa exempt, converting that entry to a Non Imm O in Thailand, similar to converting a tourist visa.

Yes, visa exempt normally requires showing the airline an exit ticket. However, you've got a valid extension of stay of your visa until August 11. The airlines don't understand this, in many cases, but usually come around with an explanation, and an emphasis on 'permitted to stay until Aug 11, 2011.' By this time, after maybe the supervisor is called over, their eyes are glazed over -- and the fact that there is no 're-entry permit' to allow all this to happen should not be a lightbulb in any of their heads (well, I guess, a veteran CSR, who's handled several of these 'expired visa, with valid extensions' might recall someone, in their explanation, mentioning a 're-entry permit' as part of the deal.)

Anyway, you certainly have the time to get some kind of visa -- which is advisable. A veteran CSR could ruin your whole day....should you try to fly visa exempt.

Just checked portland waiting to see how long for mail. so no good on the tourist visa chai rue mai?

You're saying you don't have enough time to apply by mail to Portland? You're leaving Aug 3 -- you should have plenty of time. Did you talk to Mary at Portland about your situation? You should qualify for a Non Imm O based on being retired -- all's they require is proof of your financials.

If, somehow, you don't qualify for a Non Imm O, a tourist visa from Portland requires no proof of airline tickets.

And, worst case (like, you don't have a mailbox, or something), you can go visa exempt, converting that entry to a Non Imm O in Thailand, similar to converting a tourist visa.

Yes, visa exempt normally requires showing the airline an exit ticket. However, you've got a valid extension of stay of your visa until August 11. The airlines don't understand this, in many cases, but usually come around with an explanation, and an emphasis on 'permitted to stay until Aug 11, 2011.' By this time, after maybe the supervisor is called over, their eyes are glazed over -- and the fact that there is no 're-entry permit' to allow all this to happen should not be a lightbulb in any of their heads (well, I guess, a veteran CSR, who's handled several of these 'expired visa, with valid extensions' might recall someone, in their explanation, mentioning a 're-entry permit' as part of the deal.)

Anyway, you certainly have the time to get some kind of visa -- which is advisable. A veteran CSR could ruin your whole day....should you try to fly visa exempt.

okay guys i talked to mary she is taking care of me with a $65 O Visa just mailing my forms to her no problem. Thank you everyone from Thai Visa you guys are truly lifesavers to me i was so bummed i could not search.