I Did Meet Thaksin In Brunei But We Didn't Talk Politics: Banharn

webfact

It is obvious from the majority they have achieved that they should be allowed to govern as the electorate seem to have wish them to.

But, if they achieved the majority illegally, should they be allowed to govern?

Biased comment: No open mind or respect for others opinion

:blink:

I thought it was a fair question.

It's not even stating an opinion on whether they are guilty of anything illegal.

Do YOU think that a party should be allowed to govern if they achieved their majority illegally?

I find it curious that all of you claim politics were discussed. Considering the fact that none of you were there, how do you know that politics were discussed? Has it occurred to anyone, that there were no political policies to discuss? They had a good idea of what was going to happen, but they like everyone else had to wait for the results of the election to be announced. When business people go out on the golf course for a game of golf, do you really think they are talking business? It's more about relationship building. The meeting was to rebuild a relationship and to lay the foundation for the time when actual politics could be discussed. Was it an appropriate meeting? No. That is where you should focus.

Is it any different than when several senior ranking Chinese politicians were sent to Coventry in China that politburo members regularly visited them to seek advice and counsel? When Richard Nixon was personna non grata in public life many senior politicans still sought him out for advice and counsel. I am not trying to deny that a political discussion was held because I am a fan of Mr. Thaksin. Rather I recognize the reality that non political issues most likely had a priority. The political discussions would come later. For a politician to make public that he met with Mr. Thaksin is an attempt to send a message. A message that he is close to a key player in the inner circle. For all anyone knows, Mr. Thaksin could have rebuffed the gntleman's poliitical overtures. The ppolitical discussions that were needed were held starting 2 years ago. Again, I refer you to the meetings that were held, including with some people assumed to be backers of the Abhisit government.

Bottom line. No one posting on here knows what they talked about.

But, REALLY !!!!

Bottom line. No one posting on here knows what they talked about.

But, REALLY !!!!

Yes, really. the heavy duty politicking was 2 years ago when Thaksin as laying the groundwork and putting in place the strategy for a return to Thailand. people were making a beeline to see him in Paris, in Switzerland and Dubai. Look at who met with him. . The people that he met with who sent tight lipped designates reads like a who's who of Thai political life. This is why I cannot take all of the chest beating about Thaksin the "fugitive" seriously. Mr. Thaksin is a heavy hitter and a lot of people owe him favours, big favours. People that would have been in trouble without his generosity to put it politely. if you want to describe the situation as a big barrel of crap with people saying one thing in public and doing the opposite in private, I will not argue with you.

It is obvious from the majority they have achieved that they should be allowed to govern as the electorate seem to have wish them to.

But, if they achieved the majority illegally, should they be allowed to govern?

No they shouldn't but I would wager an awful lot that not one of the parties in Thailand did not take part in dubious practices that can lead to disbanding.

There were quite a few complaints lodged against individual elected MPs, so there could be quite a few banned.

But did anyone lodge complaints against the executive of any other party besides PTP?

So the courts, at this stage, can only find the executives of one party guilty which will lead to disbanding.

I would guess that PT did not feel the need to file complaints as they won an outright majority.

Only the losers filed in what many would feel is a desperate ploy to hold onto power rather than from high moral standpoint.

I would guess that PT did not feel the need to file complaints as they won an outright majority.

Only the losers filed in what many would feel is a desperate ploy to hold onto power rather than from high moral standpoint.

Well, considering that the disbanding of PTP would be very unlikely to cause a change in government, that would only leave a "high moral standpoint" as their reasoning.

I think the red propaganda of what happened when PPP were disbanded has clouded peoples ideas of what will happen if the PTP are disbanded.

Edited by whybother

I was a bit early with my post, let me just repeat the last part on the believability of k. Banharn's remarks:

"PS in 1977 during Pink Floyd's 'Animals' tour I have seen with my very own eyes, PIGS CAN FLY :) "

"When he was in Dubai, it was too far. It was a seven-hour flight [from Thailand]. But Brunei is just a two-hour flight away. I happened to be in Brunei at that time to examine white tigers," he said.

Well if that is not a contradiction that he just 'happended' to be there then I don't know what is. Maybe posters should read the article properly.

"When he was in Dubai, it was too far. It was a seven-hour flight [from Thailand]. But Brunei is just a two-hour flight away. I happened to be in Brunei at that time to examine white tigers," he said.

Well if that is not a contradiction that he just 'happended' to be there then I don't know what is. Maybe posters should read the article properly.

I did read it properly (that's why I was laughing instantly !) ...

But since Banharn was not there for pink elephants, maybe there is some truth in this story B)

Edited by MengWan

I happened to be in Brunei at that time to examine white tigers," he said.

/quote

:w00t: welcome to Monty Python's Flying Circus...

Do Any of Brunei's banknotes have white tiger on their reverse side?

Before the elections the Phey Thai filed a lot of cases already, like 'attacking UDD leaders who happen to be PT party list candidates ain't fair'. K. Natthawut threatened the Dem's for playing his shoutcasts at Ratchaprasong, the one on 'I will take responsability'. Very high moral standpoints :ermm:

(quote)

Banharn said Thaksin had told him he expected Pheu Thai to win as many as 320 out of the 500 House seats up for grabs in the election. "I was shocked and told him if Pheu Thai won 320, there would be nothing much left for other political parties."

The veteran politician also said Thaksin asked him to take care of Thaksin's younger sister and prime minister-elect Yingluck. He responded that many Pheu Thai people were already taking a good care of her.

Never talked politics, are these people really the brightest in the land?

That's really not talking politics. That's general chit chat. Two former PMS getting together over a meal.A discussion of politics would have been a discussion of policies. The gentleman was honest in stating that he met with Mr. Thaksin. He was not the first to have met with the former PM. I wonder if the foreigners screaming in the forums about Mr. Thaksin understand who traveled to meet Mr. Thaksin. I strongly suggest a reading of some foreign newspapers to see just who was sending emissaries. It's no big secret if one digs.

Yes, I know that there will be some that will revert to the tired refrain of,"but Thaksin's a fugitive etc". That doesn't seem to be a concern for those that discreetly met with him or sent their representatives. Perhaps some of the foreigners so distraught over the meeting should go and complain to the EC, or lay a charge of aiding and abetting a "fugitive".

Last Month I go to be in Pattaya for a week while the TW went home to her parents

Caught up with 5 old mates at our favorire Go Go

We did not drink any thing

Did not look at girls

If you believe me then believe Thaskin and his mates

Banharn said Thaksin had told him he expected Pheu Thai to win as many as 320 out of the 500 House seats up for grabs in the election. "I was shocked and told him if Pheu Thai won 320, there would be nothing much left for the other political parties".

The veteran politician also said Thaksin asked him to take care of Thaksin's younger sister and prime-minister elect Yingluck. He responded that many Pheu Thai people were already taking good care of her.

I find it curious that all of you claim politics were discussed. Considering the fact that none of you were there, how do you know that politics were discussed?

I think that the quote above, taken from the OP, does rather suggest that politics were being discussed ? It says it plainly, in as many words, hence the hilarity at the claim that they didn't talk politics. You didn't have to be there, just to read the OP, to know they were discussing the election and possible outcomes. <_<

I can also credit Banharn's shock, at the thought that the other political parties (including his own) might have a weakened position, as has indeed turned out to be the case, if not quite to the degree that Thaksin was suggesting. I hope the eel didn't choke on his food ! B)

*Flame edited out*

I understand that Mr. Thaksin spent time years ago planning his return, discussing the strategy and meeting with key members of the Thai political establishment. As if a short meeting in Brunei was to discuss important political policies. Politicos do meet and shoot the sh*t from time to time. In the midst of the worst debt crisis in US history, President Obama went for a round of golf with House Speaker Boehner. They didn't talk political policy, but were trying to establish a relationship upon which they could then talk political policy when they went back to negotiating the debt crisis. It's a part of the process.. Business people do this all the time when they go for lunch and talk about everything except business. The underlying motive for the visit to Brunei was no doubt motivated by politics, but the meeting was about building a relationship. What's so hard to understand about that.?

All these people that think they know what goes on, that with every statement demonstrate that they are so very far removed from the Thai political power core. Thai politicians invest more in the social part of the equation, the reaching of a personal compact than they do with fleshing out political policies. It is part of the reason why policies often seem so flimsy and poorly thought out. Make an effort to see who met with Mr. Thaksin, who sent emissaries and trusted confidants.

Edited after Scott's edit as there is no need to reference a comment that was edited out. And the reference to a flame edited out wasn't my flame. wink.gif

Edited by geriatrickid
inflammatory quote edited out

*Flame edited out*

That's nice. So I am pathetic because I understand that Mr. Thaksin spent time years ago planning his return, discussing the strategy and meeting with key members of the Thai political establishment. As if a short meeting in Brunei was to discuss important political policies. Politicos do meet and shoot the sh*t from time to time. In the midst of the worst debt crisis in US history, President Obama went for a round of golf with House Speaker Boehner. They didn't talk political policy, but were trying to establish a relationship upon which they could then talk political policy when they went back to negotiating the debt crisis. It's a part of the process.. Business people do this all the time when they go for lunch and talk about everything except business. The underlying motive for the visit to Brunei was no doubt motivated by politics, but the meeting was about building a relationship. What's so hard to understand about that.?

All these people that think they know what goes on, that with every statement demonstrate that they are so very far removed from the Thai political power core. Thai politicians invest more in the social part of the equation, the reaching of a personal compact than they do with fleshing out political policies. It is part of the reason why policies often seem so flimsy and poorly thought out. Why don't you go and make an effort to see who met with Mr. Thaksin, who sent emissaries and trusted confidants? Yup, I'm pathetic because I understand that and am not given to simplistic sloganeering and the whining of marginalized outsiders.

As you seem to know so much things that we don't even suspect, can you please be a bit more specific? Who else met with Mr Taksin, who is so important that it sounds exceptional that he or they go and meet the evil?Thanks a lot....

The underlying motive for the visit to Brunei was no doubt motivated by politics, but the meeting was about building a relationship. What's so hard to understand about that.?

With k. Banharn's Chart Thai joining in Thaksin-I in 2001 and being 'friendly' ever since, I think your remark is a bit naïve. IMHO that is :)

*Flame edited out*

I understand that Mr. Thaksin spent time years ago planning his return, discussing the strategy and meeting with key members of the Thai political establishment. As if a short meeting in Brunei was to discuss important political policies. Politicos do meet and shoot the sh*t from time to time. In the midst of the worst debt crisis in US history, President Obama went for a round of golf with House Speaker Boehner. They didn't talk political policy, but were trying to establish a relationship upon which they could then talk political policy when they went back to negotiating the debt crisis. It's a part of the process.. Business people do this all the time when they go for lunch and talk about everything except business. The underlying motive for the visit to Brunei was no doubt motivated by politics, but the meeting was about building a relationship. What's so hard to understand about that.?

All these people that think they know what goes on, that with every statement demonstrate that they are so very far removed from the Thai political power core. Thai politicians invest more in the social part of the equation, the reaching of a personal compact than they do with fleshing out political policies. It is part of the reason why policies often seem so flimsy and poorly thought out. Make an effort to see who met with Mr. Thaksin, who sent emissaries and trusted confidants.

Edited after Scott's edit as there is no need to reference a comment that was edited out. And the reference to a flame edited out wasn't my flame. wink.gif

Except Banharn and Thaksin already have a relationship. He (his personal party) has been a member of all previous Thaksin administrations. They are not strangers; far from it.

They didn't talk politics and then he goes on to say how they chatted about how many seats would be won.

How do you know a politician is lying?

Their lips move!

:lol: So true, so true, the world over.

How incredible is their conviction to think that everybody is stupid enough to believe them :bah:

Slippery, unreliabe, untrustworthy, very loose with the truth .....

Pretty much describes politicians the world over. Before westerners here start getting too smug and superior about corrupt politics in Thailand, they would do well to observe the current political shit storm in the UK. Many parallels with the situation over here regarding Thaksin. Here you have one man, ( Rupert Murdoch), A non British passport holder, pretty much a non British tax payer, who has been corrupting British politics for years. Going right back to the days of Mrs Thatcher, every British administration has done nothing policy wise without flying off to see him to get his approval. Before the Gulf war, Prime minister Blair hardly discussed it with his cabinet, but spent hours with Murdoch, a known enthusiast for the bombing of Baghdad. For the past twenty odd years politicians of all colours have allowed themselves to be wined, dined and holidayed by this man, all of them desperate to gain his approval. Now it is all unravelling and the chickens are coming home to roost. Top Metropolitan police officers, from the commander of the anti terrorist squad, to Royal protection officers have been corrupted. A man who had to resign, kicking and screaming from a leading Murdoch owned newspaper in the UK for corrupt practices, taken on by the current Prime Minister as his head of communications, with the highest security clearance. Phones and computers of relatives of murdered children being illegally hacked into, not to mention the relatives of servicemen killed in action receiving the same despicable treatment. The Ex Prime Minister having his phone hacked, his bank accounts "Blagged", even his baby son's private medical records illegally obtained. God knows what dirt his organization has managed to accumulate over the years on elected politicians the world over. Even reports today from a senior police officer in New York that News International "representatives' have been hacking the phones of relatives of 9-11 victims. Lowest of the low. But dont expect to hear about much of this on Fox News! Compared to this corruption of western democracy, Thaksin almost seems like George Washington! Almost!<_<