Australian Teacher Lucky To Be Alive After Being Shot In The Head In Chiang Mai

webfact

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually thai police are pretty smart in solving cases especially getting leads etc. They may not be CSI but if the Australian Embassy is serious about getting to the bottom of this and piles pressure on the relevant authorities the results will come in. The shooting doesn't sound random but I think its premature to speculate.

Hopefully they won't just find a fall guy though.

I don't agree! If the Embassy puts pressure on the police to solve the case then some poor hill tribe boy will be picked up and beaten until he confesses.

And later to commit suicide by hanging himself in his cell. Case Closed!

i know there is crime and murder every where in the world but is it me for such a country that suposed to have such gentle people it seem to me to be a complete nut house for tourist or any forienger no wonder the wife love the uk

and dont want to return there only to visit her family or is it this web site that seem s to vioce crime incidents

can we have good news from someone

Time to get rid of the stupid "lose face" mentality ...

No better way to identify the fundamental problem many posters on this board have. Dare I say it, you will not change Thailand and Asian culture but it may change you.

One does not have to like or agree with everything one sees or observes but it is best to keep a certain distance and not get too involved.

Guns: ?? At the time newly elected John Howard did something about them after 56 were killed and injured at the Port Arthur massacre in 1966:

the Federal Government introduced the Medicare Levy Amendment Act 1996 that provided the revenue for the National Firearms Program through a one-off 0.2% increase in the Medicare levy. Known as the gun buy-back scheme, it started across the country on the 1 October 1996 and concluded on the 30 September 1997 [22] to purchase and destroy all semi-automatic rifles including .22 rimfires, semi-automatic shotguns and pump-action shotguns. The buyback was predicted to cost $A500 million and had wide community support. (wikipedia)

It seems to have worked for OZ so far

Yes a great scheme by "Little Johnny" to gather popularity points by picking on a small minority of citizens to satisfy the fears of the majority. Most crimes in Australia were committed using hand-guns, unavailable to the general public without strict security checks. The later justification of this bastardry was that gun deaths had dropped significantly, but on closer check, nearly all were suicides, but the death rate for suicides had not dropped at all. Lies, damned lies and statistics.

If Little Johnny had wanted to actually save lives of our citizens, he would have done something serious about the road toll or smoking. But that would have affected the majority, and there is no votes in that. He may even have tried allocating some funding to mental health - no way, the mentally ill don't vote.

Actually if he wanted to save our citizens lives, he should have taken a serious looks at workplace deaths and injuries which are over double the road toll each year. But I digress, I feel this is a distressing event for not only the teachers involved but for Thailands tourist industry.

Waana be hard man had his ego damaged is my guess. Got blown out by the girls and got told where to go. Of course the hard man couldn't be grown up enough to let it lie so went away and pampered his ego with a gun. Either that or as others have said got beeped for shit driving..

Best wishes to the victims and hopefully justice is done. I won't hold my breath.

Edited by arthurwait

The incident was reported to local police, who are investigating.

Consider it solved.

:lol: most probably.

Actually thai police are pretty smart in solving cases especially getting leads etc. They may not be CSI but if the Australian Embassy is serious about getting to the bottom of this and piles pressure on the relevant authorities the results will come in. The shooting doesn't sound random but I think its premature to speculate.

Investigating is defined as, if somebody walks in the police station and confesses, and if the duty officer is not busy eating or watching TV or talking on his phone or sleeping, and if he does not have to get up to file the paperwork, and if the perp is poor and cannot afford tea money then the perp will be asked to disappear, otherwise a discussion of tea money will precede the request to disappear.

Don't see what your comment has to do with his english - which seems fine to me.

"Ringwood Secondary College principal Michael Phillips said: "Whilst the injury sustained by Lynda was serious, the incident was particularly stressful and both staff members will need counseling support as they realise how close they were to being shot..."

:blink: Does this guy speaky the English? What contradictions!

Oh, pu-leeeez. Is there anything humans don't need counseling or closure for? Bullied as children? Ignored by fathers? Ingrown toenails?

Go home and tell everyone about your near-death adventure in dangerous SEA! B)

Does not sound as a random shooting. What was behind it??

Hope she pulls through ok, especially mentally

I was actually thinking that too. Just leaving a night market and getting shot at by armed gunmen doesn't sound right, does it?

The night market always has crowd of walking tourists and busy cars traffic. I have no idea why these two teachers got shot near death. Something is not right. May be someone knows should alert the police station. Hope she still makes it and I am sorry it should not happen for people who are vacationing in Thailand. My take and opinion.

The bullet grazed the back of the Ms Cody's skull is in no way the same as shot in the head.

You must be new to Thai Visa. :rolleyes:

Obviously with more than 400 posting, he is not new to Thai Visa (LOL). He is telling us that we are not using our "grey matters".:blink:

Consider it solved.

Failed suicide attempt more than likely...Suicide is pretty common among Farang in Thailand.

Please don't rush to condemn the bib, who have already made considerable progress in the case -

"Thai police are investigating the incident and told the teachers their car may have been shot at."

I think some tourists tend to flash their cash around too much", gang members roam around the market to spot the ones with fisttfuls of cash and report back to the gang's hit squad who then follow the victims to a suitable sting opperation area.

Tourists should be warned when entering Thailand that the whole country is basically a lawless, unscrupulous society out to take whatever opportunity that presents its self by whatever means nessasary and that unwritten rule is from the bottom to the very top.:jap:

Even the most stupid, meathead, moronic dickheads would not start firing in a completely illogical random manner. There had to be reason they were firing at this car. Quite possibly mistaken identity, or some sort of dodgy deal gone sour.

Disgruntled Democrat thought it was Thaksin & Yingluck.

I think some tourists tend to flash their cash around too much", gang members roam around the market to spot the ones with fisttfuls of cash and report back to the gang's hit squad who then follow the victims to a suitable sting opperation area.

Tourists should be warned when entering Thailand that the whole country is basically a lawless, unscrupulous society out to take whatever opportunity that presents its self by whatever means nessasary and that unwritten rule is from the bottom to the very top.:jap:

OMG

cheesy.gif

If it is as you claim above along with the example the story gives they must be really raking in the dough! laugh.gif

whistling.gif

Consider it solved.

No not smart they just blame a Burmese Cambodian Laos Immigrant if they can t or won t find the real Culprit.

So you thought they are that good becaus usually they get them within 1. week LOL

and if there is a Farrang involved it s anyway Suicide......

Idiotic responses by some of you forum members. Hope you get the same someday. Hey Bangkockney: "No way the same as shot in the head." B.S. The person was shot in the head. Not good enough for you because the bullet did not enter the brain? In the case of some people :whistling: it could have passed harmlessly through through their brain. Hey RogueExpat- Idle speculation by an idle mind on your part. It was a car with "rich" farangs and some juiced up kids with a gun went at them. A couple of girlie college students for chrissakes-easy victims. I would be safe betting shinola against <deleted> on this.

OMG

cheesy.gif

If it is as you claim above along with the example the story gives they must be really raking in the dough! laugh.gif

whistling.gif

For sure they are "raking in the dough" of course they have expenses just as any successful business would have- gang members pay and bonuses in the form of yabba, certain groups being paid off to turn a blind eye, guns, amo, vehicles, whiskey, etc., etc...:jap:

I'm sure that what you're saying comes from a source of info. b/c you give some specific examples, however, the way events played out in this case resemble nearly 0% of robberies anyone has ever heard of. For starters, why would a gunman intent on robbery shoot into a vehicle in a crowded area? I can't think of one reason, but it smacks of a hit and run scenario almost perfectly. Anyone from a host of countries around the world, including Thailand, can recognize what is essentially a drive by shooting when they see one.

whistling.gif

It's only been farangs - no need to investigate, everything just coincidence, mai bpen rai!

You've definitely got that backwards. The police along with many others are well aware of the impact crimes like this have on Thailand's tourism image abroad. It doesn't earn the % for the country that say rice does, but it's a significant earner for a lot of Thais, and it's big business. They don't need people thinking they might get shot over here, trust me.

wink.gif

<font size="2">If you ever want to see the BIB, have a TV camera close by and they will come out of the woodwork with anything that will make them look like they are doing a intense investigation. Removing cameras also removes the BIB</font>

are you &lt;deleted&gt; dreaming? apply pressure and get results? have you just stepped off a plane man?

Thai police get results when, and only when, they want to. End of.

OMG

cheesy.gif

whistling.gif

For sure they are "raking in the dough" of course they have expenses just as any successful business would have- gang members pay and bonuses in the form of yabba, certain groups being paid off to turn a blind eye, guns, amo, vehicles, whiskey, etc., etc...:jap:

I'm sure that what you're saying comes from a source of info. b/c you give some specific examples, however, the way events played out in this case resemble nearly 0% of robberies anyone has ever heard of. For starters, why would a gunman intent on robbery shoot into a vehicle in a crowded area? I can't think of one reason, but it smacks of a hit and run scenario almost perfectly. Anyone from a host of countries around the world, including Thailand, can recognize what is essentially a drive by shooting when they see one.

whistling.gif

I can only go by what I know is true in Pattaya & the greater Chonburi areas most of these gang members are on yabba so executing a "hit and rob" may not be done with the best of planning or eloquence but more likely driven by desperation, (yabba, yabba, yabba some of these people take up to 8 hits in a session that comes to a MONTHLY cash requirement of up to 70,000 Baht for EACH gang member plus expenses previously mentioned) they were doing a lot of armed motorcycle hijacking some time ago targeting kids, women, katoeys, etc...on motorbikes, ambushing them on back roads.

(The BIB in soi 9 will confirm this if you happen to start chatting to one)

Edited by newermonkey

Even the most stupid, meathead, moronic dickheads would not start firing in a completely illogical random manner. There had to be reason they were firing at this car. Quite possibly mistaken identity, or some sort of dodgy deal gone sour.

Random shootings and vandalism by teenage gangs are not unknown in Chiang Mai.

Does anyone know the exact street her vehicle was on when the shooting occurred? A gang called 'gang waen' hangs out late at night along Charoen Prathet Rd. Locals know not to park their cars along that road south of Saphan Lek late at night because so much vehicle vandalism occurs, including shot-out windows etc.

i'm a bit disappointed at the posters on this thread... a visiting group of teachers and students get shot at and all i read are a lot of cynical comments, jokes, and the typical bashing at BIB and thais in general. i feel sorry for the woman who suffered even six stitches although the bullet only grazed her skull. she is truly lucky!

this sort of incident is not so infrequent, and i would think it would fall into a couple of scenarios:

- the driver pissed off another driver (like the pilot that was shot on the way to suvarnabhumi)

- the teachers made some unsavory enemies at the market

- the shooters were bored delinquents or high on drugs and the car was a random target

it may be difficult to find the perps because this probably happened on a more rural highway without cameras and they did not pass through any toll booths, it was at night so eyewitnesses would be rare. however, i have been surprised before in how the BIB can find their man, whether they turn themselves in or others report them (or maybe these have been just scapegoats).

i'm a bit disappointed at the posters on this thread... a visiting group of teachers and students get shot at and all i read are a lot of cynical comments, jokes, and the typical bashing at BIB and thais in general. i feel sorry for the woman who suffered even six stitches although the bullet only grazed her skull. she is truly lucky!

this sort of incident is not so infrequent, and i would think it would fall into a couple of scenarios:

- the driver pissed off another driver (like the pilot that was shot on the way to suvarnabhumi)

- the teachers made some unsavory enemies at the market

- the shooters were bored delinquents or high on drugs and the car was a random target

it may be difficult to find the perps because this probably happened on a more rural highway without cameras and they did not pass through any toll booths, it was at night so eyewitnesses would be rare. however, i have been surprised before in how the BIB can find their man, whether they turn themselves in or others report them (or maybe these have been just scapegoats).

I agree, seems like we have alot of members who are either: 1. Bitter but enjoy living here

2. Just finished drinking there midday beers

3. Blond