Water Pumps

hello out there hoping to tap the forums knowledge

what i am doing is setting up a drip irrigation system for a bamboo crop i have a dam whitch is approx 50 m from the highest point of the land section where i have built a water tank the tanks are appprox 10 metres above the dam

height Q.do you it possible to pump the 50 metres in one hit or do you think i will have to build and tank half way and pump to there and then transfer to the highest tank thanks in advanced

A good centrifugal pump will be stamped with the head it will accommodate (in meter), max rate of out put and lift in meters. It should not be a problem with a single pump to accomplish what you want to do.

Ten meters head on 50 meter distance is easy pumping.

Is there a reason you aren't pumping directly to your drip?

Are you thinking to pump it twice,

First to the tank

then to the drip

Or is the drip on gravity from the tank?

If by gravity you will have stronger drip flow low on the hill,

while weak drip flow high on the hill.

This can be compensated for by running the high lines longer,

assuming that your drip lines run along the contour rather than down the slope.

I think a drip line would like to have around 10 meters line pressure,

which is a real good argument for pumping directly.

Send me a PM with your email address,

and I'll send the Excel spreadsheet which calculates

power requirement

friction loss

payback time on the next larger size pipe so as to reduce friction loss

It's posted on this forum earlier, I just haven't looked up the link this morning.

Drip outlet pressure regulators provide consistent flow at each outlet,

while the pressure at various locations on the elevation differ.

They are an extra expense initially, but the predictability they provide is in my mind well worthwhile.

Drip systems are prone to debris clogging, so you will need a good filter.

A clogged outlet doesn't cry for help, it just doesn't deliver water

Since you are pumping from a dam, therefore fed by a stream, there will be problematic debris

Edited by WatersEdge

thanks for your replys i was out there yesterday ginnin around and the easy answer was right there rather than pumping anywhere im going to just put a header tank approx 1.5 above the height of the final destination whicth is about 11.5 meters in total heigh tand then gravity feed from there on thanks for the pointers about drippers your dead right filtration is going to be the key thats the next mission that and finding good supplier of drip fittings and drip line you got to love it

thanks for your replys i was out there yesterday ginnin around and the easy answer was right there rather than pumping anywhere im going to just put a header tank approx 1.5 above the height of the final destination whicth is about 11.5 meters in total heigh tand then gravity feed from there on thanks for the pointers about drippers your dead right filtration is going to be the key thats the next mission that and finding good supplier of drip fittings and drip line you got to love it

Howdy there Man with Many Murris good luck with the bamboozles. A good trick for dripping and filtering is to be able to not draw your water from the bottom of the tanks if you can manage. Ideally, if you have a sufficient amount of water and the ability to replenish your tanks system without a big drawdown of your water, you would want to have your out-flow water line to your series of filters (coarse to fine) coming from the middle of the side of your tank not from the bottom. You should have this out-flow pipe connected to another outflow pipe that is almost on the very bottom of the tank but you should be able to keep the bottom pipe turned off with a valve and hopefully not have to turn on the bottom valve unless extreme lack of water or some other issue causes your tanks to get lower than half full where4 you have your out-flow pipe. Your water should be drawn always from the middle of your tank where no sediment and deposit will accumulate. Another outflow line, a valve and an open butt of piper should be at the very bottom of the side of the tank and you can open that occasionally to try to flush the accumulated deposits off the bottom of your tank. I hope what i have witten is a bit clearer than the bottom of your tank is going to be but will draw it up for you if need be and mail it off to you if you need. Choke Dee Faming Fords Forever