Balcony In Bangkok

Hello All,

I would like to grow some few veg and herbs on my balcony in Bangkok;

I used to have a veggie garden of my own in Europe where I grew all sorts of veg and herbs but here I'm not sure about the season, what grows easy and where.

My balcony is shaded although the sun comes in, in the morning

Ideally I would like to have a kitchen garden balcony and try out tomatoes (they grow relatively quickly in europe, I assume it would be the same here ) locals herbs, like may be thai basil, lemon grass, aloe Vera, and anything that grows quickly smells good and is usable ...

Thank you for you advice

A

everything and almost everything should do alright. The King has projects throughout the country and you can now find herbs very well established and growing in pots. Truly much cheaper than the cost of the fresh cut herbs available in the farang supermarkets. The shop that I just bought some rosemary and thyme potted plants is called The Royal Project Shop and they sell many of the food and herb products from his programs., Very mature specimens were about 50 baht each, ridiculously cheap as the 15 baht bags of cut herbs was much less than 1/3 of total amount of foilage on the live plants. I bought mine in Hua Hin but I'm sure there are many of the Royal Project Shops around Bangkok.

With the tomatoes I would recommend at least one of them being a cherry tomatoe variety to get you fast results and decent yields. Your yields will be reduced by the amount of full sunlight you won't get onto your porch. Full sun almost all day AND some protection from the rain (this time of year) and good drainage is the best for tomatoes. Remember it never hurts to try. There is a thread in here that has people saying what western veggies and herbs people have been successful growing here in Thailand. Choke Dee Ford Tractors on Sukhumvit Forever