Someone Needed To Make A 'Thii Sai Kraduck'

LJW

This is kind of an unusual request... I am looking for a suggestion for a craftsman to make ' A place to put my bones' after a cremation.

Any thoughts?

thiisaikraduck.jpg

Edited by LJW

How about in an urn? There shouldn't be bones left if done properly, or they could be pulverized. Or you could get more creative with whiskey bottles, coffee cans, etc. If there is a lot left, you haven't been cremated, just 'toasted'.

How about in an urn? There shouldn't be bones left if done properly or they could be pulverized. Or you could get more creative with whiskey bottles, coffee cans, etc. If there is a lot left, you haven't been cremated, just 'toasted'.

I thought that in Thailand there is a 'full burn' which leaves just ashes and a 'partial burn' which leaves the bones

I asked my daughter if she has any preference........doesn't fancy my femur hanging in the living room.

How about in an urn? There shouldn't be bones left if done properly or they could be pulverized. Or you could get more creative with whiskey bottles, coffee cans, etc. If there is a lot left, you haven't been cremated, just 'toasted'.

I thought that in Thailand there is a 'full burn' which leaves just ashes and a 'partial burn' which leaves the bones

I asked my daughter if she has any preference........doesn't fancy my femur hanging in the living room.

It is my understanding that ashes come from pulverising the bones.. After the cremation, there are a lot of big bones. :)

I think having your ashes shot into the sky on a rocket would be dramatic.

Another option might be to do what my wife's cousins did with their mother's ashes. They kept them for 1 year in an earthen pot. At the one year anniversary, we took a boat out to the middle of the mighty Ping, knocked a hole in the bottom, and was set adrift. She, the aunt, was born within 50 meters or so of the river, so it was fitting way "to go"?

Both options might be cheaper (which would be my preference; minimal cost) than a fancy crypt.

Okay, I get it. Nobody knows anyone.

Seems to be the case.

If you know what you want, size, style, wood etc, can't you just draw it and find someone to knock you one up?

Doesn't the person who wants your bones safely stored (I assume there's another) know anyone?

I think having your ashes shot into the sky on a rocket would be dramatic.

Another option might be to do what my wife's cousins did with their mother's ashes. They kept them for 1 year in an earthen pot. At the one year anniversary, we took a boat out to the middle of the mighty Ping, knocked a hole in the bottom, and was set adrift. She, the aunt, was born within 50 meters or so of the river, so it was fitting way "to go"?

Both options might be cheaper (which would be my preference; minimal cost) than a fancy crypt.

I went one better had my 2nd wifes ashes put in an eggtimer, which has pride of place on my office desk, my grandkids love giving the wicked witch in the glass a shake when they visit!!

I took a group of American students to the Ban Chiang museum and a neighboring temple several years ago. As we walked around the outside area of the temple, I noticed that each of the wall's post had a Nescafe Gold coffee jar.....along with the remaining bones/ashes of the sponsor for that post. Not that crappy old Nescafe Red....but Nescafe Gold.

"I went one better had my 2nd wife's ashes put in an eggtimer, which has pride of place on my office desk, my grandkids love giving the wicked witch in the glass a shake when they visit!!"

I know I shouldn't, but I can't help chuckling at this.

Edited by uptheos

LJ

Since you are asking for a box, is it safe to assume that it would be made of wood? If so, there are a lot of carpenters around who could do it if you provide a design or some directions. Alternatively, there are a lot of ready made boxes for sale at the night bazar and some probably large enough. The casket shops sometimes sell them and if not they would know where to get one probably.

Wrong; I've seen the results of two family cremations in Thailand and each time all that is left is ashes and very small bone fragments which are normally collected in a china pot by the family who have to clear up the cremation site a few days after the burning. The bone fragments are normally blessed by monks just after they are recovered and then buried under a nearby tree.

It is my understanding that ashes come from pulverising the bones.. After the cremation, there are a lot of big bones. :)

There are many SANGKHAPAN (sell most of things relate with temple) shops in Chiangmai that you ask informations about it , this is one of shop the name is Sing Kaew Prathan Sin in Mae Rim district, 053-297551 if they can not make it for you then you can ask them if they know someone to make it but take your time as long as possible, you are not in hurry . Right?

There are many SANGKHAPAN (sell most of things relate with temple) shops in Chiangmai that you ask informations about it , this is one of shop the name is Sing Kaew Prathan Sin in Mae Rim district, 053-297551 if they can not make it for you then you can ask them if they know someone to make it but take your time as long as possible, you are not in hurry . Right?

Thanks for your kindness :)

I am suprised you haven't seen the factory where these things are made they are scatter all over. When they cremated my friend sister they only put a very small amt of the ash in the tomb, the top will slide away and there is a hole in the top to place a small container of ash. The morning after the cremation they all decended upon the wat and pulled out the ashes from under the oven and aftera ceremony the ashes and small bone fragments ( mostly joints and a few big bones) where wrapped up in a large lien cloth. After arrival at the family home the cloth was opened up and they scavenged thru looking for a tooth or fragment to be placed in a amulet case to wear around neck. The ashes where distributed to different family members to keep.

A box to hold bones shouldn't be too difficult to find/make - does it have to be special (I have no knowledge of this) or blessed or something?

In my original post, I showed a picture of one I like, made from glass and cement..

A box to hold bones shouldn't be too difficult to find/make - does it have to be special (I have no knowledge of this) or blessed or something?

In my original post, I showed a picture of one I like, made from glass and cement..

Well, I'm sure if you showed that picture around there would be loads of Thai's to point you in the right direction.

Well, I'm sure if you showed that picture around there would be loads of Thai's to point you in the right direction.

"I went one better had my 2nd wife's ashes put in an eggtimer, which has pride of place on my office desk, my grandkids love giving the wicked witch in the glass a shake when they visit!!"

I know I shouldn't, but I can't help chuckling at this.

has kept me smiling for the last 22 years, mind you my 3rd wife says she will make sure I kark it first :jap:

I have a couple of comments to make.:

My wife tells me that it will depend how and where the cremation takes place and the intensity of the heat as to what will remain.

In my own experience - My Mum was cremated at McKain's Hospital and althoughy it appeared fierce.- certainly what was left was not ahes but more so 'Bones' and when i took Her back to U.K.to scatter them in the rose gardens where all of my other family rest - the bones had to be 'pulverised' by the crematorium who owned the land.

Earlier this year my dog of 15 years went on to her next life. She was cremated at the public crematorium not far from Airport Plaza. No ashes but only her bones were left which I took to Wat Chai Mong Kol to rest.

In both cases we bougtht little brass urns from a shop near Airport Plaza and had them engraved

That is quite a "box". I looked at this thread several times and this is the first time the picture loaded. Had I it loaded before, I would not have made the suggestion about boxes. About how tall is the item in the photo?

That is quite a "box". I looked at this thread several times and this is the first time the picture loaded. Had I it loaded before, I would not have made the suggestion about boxes. About how tall is the item in the photo?

About 3 or 4 feet tall.

About 3 or 4 feet tall.

Looks more like something you'd see in The Grand Palace - not exactly 'a box'.

Each to their own, but may I ask is this what YOU want for your bones, or is it what a loved one wants to keep your bones in?

About 3 or 4 feet tall.

For crying out loud, it is NOT a box. Some dimwits on the previous page clearly have no idea what they're looking at when the picture is right in front of them. I was planning on staying out of this topic because I don't have the golden tip either, but it's getting too much.

I believe they're sold at the same places where they sell cement spirit houses (San Praphum), which you often see along main roads. However the one in the picture looks very nice, it's quite possible that this is quite a bit beyond the standard you find at those places.

I find all the banter a bit unsettling, this is not quite the same as an enquiry on where to find a hamburger or a DVD player. :(

• Like 1

About 3 or 4 feet tall.

For crying out loud, it is NOT a box. Some dimwits on the previous page clearly have no idea what they're looking at when the picture is right in front of them.

The heading states it is a BOX he is looking for. Clearly all things used as Tii Sai Kraduks are not like the one picture. The OP does not state that he is looking for something like the thing in the picture.

About 3 or 4 feet tall.

For crying out loud, it is NOT a box. Some dimwits on the previous page clearly have no idea what they're looking at when the picture is right in front of them.

The heading states it is a BOX he is looking for. Clearly all things used as Tii Sai Kraduks are not like the one picture. The OP does not state that he is looking for something like the thing in the picture.

But I do want something like in the picture- and a box is something simple to call it because they are all boxes, even the fancy ones. :)